TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Ok, so I am not owned by a conure ...yet, (he's still weaning ... he's a sun) but I do see him at least every other day and I have found this one question about his behavior:

He loves to chew on my fingernails. He'll get his beak in under my nails and just start to chew ... sometimes he'll try to crack it open like a seed and then I have to divert his attention.

I know that he is a parrot and parrots chew ... but he doesn't go for anything else, not my clothing my watch just my fingernail .... anyone have any ideas?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Bucc has done that with me, I don't have any fingernails left anymore, I have tried everything to divert his attention away from them, but until he has got them all he's not happy. :D

I am still trying to stop this and what I am doing now is I have one of his favourite toys on hand, so that as nails start growing again and he starts going for them I will try to divert his attention to the toy, it seems to be working at the moment, but then nails aren't very long anymore. If this does work when nails are a bit longer I'll let you know.

It will be a little harder for you at the moment as your SC is still weaning and isn't at home with you, Is this guy definately your bird? The reason I ask is maybe you could get a toy and try this. Are you able to go somewhere where you are able to have him out of cage?

OP
TexDot33

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Currently I can get "supervised visitations" with him. Is he definately my bird ... well I hope so, and I have no other reason to believe otherwise ... I guess I should just wait until he gets here and start working with him then.

On the other hand, maybe he'll bite my nails down so that I will have nothing left and then I WILL STOP biting my nails (it's a dirty habit anyway...).:rolleyes:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
On the other hand, maybe he'll bite my nails down so that I will have nothing left and then I WILL STOP biting my nails (it's a dirty habit anyway...).:rolleyes:

:18: Yeah, trouble is while they can still get the beak under there they bite, it gets a bit sore after a while. :18: :18:

Steph

Jun 24, 2011
Hmm, it seems with most sun conures I've met, they've all liked to chew nails! But if you just hold their beak gently and say "NO BITE," they'll learn. It's the same with nipping, I would respond the same way since they're using their beak in a way I don't like.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
This posting is from 5 years ago. Please start a new thread when you want to speak to a similiar subject. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions