Anyone bred swifts parrots ? Hand reared them ? (Lathamus discolor)

Kakarikilover2021

Jan 31, 2021
Hello everyone , I recently acquired a pair of swift parrots and plan on breeding them I immediately fell in love with there colours . I plan to handrear the babies but first I am trying to find out how tame I can expect to get from that does anyone here have them or ever tried hand rearing these bird's? I have spent hours online looking for info on these bird's handrear and came across very little information due to them being extremely rare and classified as endangered species in there native country of Australia and Tasmania. . . I am in Ireland where very few people have them here either . . . Any info on above would be very much appreciated . Sorry if I haven't put this post in the proper place on forum admin feel free to move it to where it should be . Thank you

26091d1618508708-anyone-bred-swifts-parrots-hand-reared-them-lathamus-discolor-20210331_212207.jpg

Attachments

• 20210331_212207.jpg
    20210331_212207.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
OP
K

Kakarikilover2021

Jan 31, 2021
Re: Swift Parrot (Lathamus discolor)

Hey Kakarikilover! Good to see you posting about one of our endangered species. A reference to an interesting article popped up on my university's zoology page recently, so I'll share it here so you can follow it up (if you'd like). Sorry about the ridiculously long URL! :)

https://news.mongabay.com/2021/04/a...LhHQd0yzFPymTJiJW2oEQFqtI9linQTcJr3tuAMeL70YQ

I read that and lots of articles about them but all in th e wild , it's a terrible shame to see what's happening to there habitat .
I have never heard of anyone hand rearing these parrots there must be a reason why .?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Re: Anyone bred swifts parrots ? Hand reared them ?

Hi. Entirely appropriate place for your thread. Never heard of these little ones. THey seem to be in very dire straits in their native range down under, with an estimated 300 individuals left there. So sad. I hope you can breed your swifties!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Re: Swift Parrot (Lathamus discolor)

You seem to have taken on a big challenge here. They guys are nectar feeders, feeding off of just 2 types of eucalyptus tree flowers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts