Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I'm thinking of making my own pellets in a few months, I can't buy TOPs anywhere locally and the shipping is getting higher. I simply can't make myself buy any other pellet. I'll be getting a freeze drying machine in a few months hopefully.
I've formulated some ingredients, a rough draft of course and was wondering if you guys can help me come up with the perfect recipe? I'll have to either get fresh ingredients.

Green ingredients for calcium, Vit K etc: Alfalfa, Kale, Peas, Broccoli

Vit C source(only one source, no citrus): Bell peppers (All I can think of)

Other calcium: Chia seeds, cuttlebone powder, Almonds

Omegas: Ground flax, ground hemp seed, ground bee pollen, rolled oats (iffy on this), ground coconut

Vit A source: carrot, sweet potato, butternut squash, pumpkin

Antioxidants: Pomegranate powder, acai powder

Flowers: Rosehips, hibiscus, chamomile

Vit E: Red palm oil

What should the majority be? Or should everything be like 5-10%?

I'd like to minimize any seed or grain being in this 'pellet'

Any ingredients you guys can add? Making this recipe as nutritionally close to perfect is important as I want a food source that can be available to them all day,
thanks in advance!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Interesting adventure.
I'm not certain that a freeze drying machine with assure a safe base, as I have never looked at what shelf life it obtains. You are likely going to have to experiment with your batch size and what long term goals you are considering for a specific patch.
Wishing you a successful venture.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah something like that 'Boats. Was awhile ago. Maybe freeze dried stuff also absorbs water from the body if fed un-hydrated. For people not a big deal, for parrots small bodies, with nothing to spare so to speak, I have to think it absorbs water needed elsewhere in their system.

Most Reactions

Latest posts