Anyone know these kind of parrots?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The only ones somewhat similar I found were the diluted green cheeks that cost thousands of dollars each! :) So definitely couldn't be the case. :) What a puzzle, huh?
mutation colors Green-Cheeked Conures of The Feather Tree
some on the bottom of the page look similar to yours...

Which would be fine and dandy, and I agree they do look similar, especially in the beak compared to the suncheek, though there isn't enough yellow to be a suncheek...

Only problem is, Green Cheeks are SOUTH AMERICAN birds, generally not found this side of Argentina... so unless they are the offspring of escaped pets... how did they get there?!

It's got to be a hybrid or mutation of some sort, since there aren't any yellow headed conures native to Honduras.

My guess is from the little peach colored loreds, that they are some sort of mutation half moon conure, which are native to Honduras, and would fit.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Yeah I know they are not native there... escaped pet? :) golden and half moon was my initial guess. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah I know they are not native there... escaped pet? :) golden and half moon was my initial guess. :)

I was just questioning out loud.

Frankly, I'm stumped.

starrynightxxi

Mar 26, 2013
Philadelphia
Parrots
Leonard - White-Wing Parakeet
If they came out of a tree, I think probably not bleached. I think they are half-moon conures, either a natural color mutation, or light due to diet; possibly hybrids. Honduras may not be the natural range of suns or jendays, but I imagine it's close enough that a former-pet could easily survive

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
The second poster in that thread says it is an Orange-Fronted Parakeet that has been dyed by a poacher to be sold :(

OP
M

montsepoo2015

Feb 15, 2015
Honduras
Parrots
I have 3 parrots I still don't know what kind they are
montsepoo2015-albums-our-new-babies-picture13973-p2234486.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/members/montsepoo2015-albums-our-new-babies-picture13974-p2224468.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/members/montsepoo2015-albums-our-new-babies-picture13972-p2224483.jpg

Thank you all for the comments, most of the information you have given us is very useful, they are certainly exotic and unique since I haven't seen this kind here. The property of my cousin is near the border of Nicaragua. These aren't bleached, they are the real deal. We think they might originate from Nicaragua. I have told my cousin in the past whenever he finds baby parrots or any other kind of birds on trees they cut for work to bring them to me. That's how we received the pinous and a toucan (that flew away), we are still investigating until we find what kind they are. If you guys have more info we will appreciate it and we will be posting pictures of them for you to see their growth.

OP
M

montsepoo2015

Feb 15, 2015
Honduras
Parrots
I have 3 parrots I still don't know what kind they are
I forgot to mention, the locals told my cousin they are a couple, I asked how they know the difference and they said because the female is thinner and that probably their beak will change colors because they are very young, one of them is still growing feathers.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The second poster in that thread says it is an Orange-Fronted Parakeet that has been dyed by a poacher to be sold :(

Which was one of my wild theories. Easy way to find out. Wait for the first molt. If the color molts out, then its someone's escaped attempted fraud. If it doesnt, then its a mutation or hybrid of some sort.

Please let us know. We are curious at this point.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I forgot to mention, the locals told my cousin they are a couple, I asked how they know the difference and they said because the female is thinner and that probably their beak will change colors because they are very young, one of them is still growing feathers.

So the locals know what bird is that? Or if they don't how can they tell? :D As far as I know with all conures are the sexes are not possible to tell apart by eye. So he shouldn't take this too seriously. They are too young to be a pair - probably just siblings. Your cousin should look out for their parents - they should be coming back to their nesting site. That might solve the yellow color mystery. :)
The closest picture I found online was this one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olliegirl/1202414663/
This baby looks very much like your babies, and as somebody already mentioned the yellow color could come from the diet, not necessarily from hybridization.
I also saw this picture - it's of a poor quality, but the birds look definitely yellowish:
OUR SMALLER CONURE BABIES
Anyway, your babies are very pretty and adorable birds, and please keep us updated about them! :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Smells like a bucket of dead crabs on a hot,sunny day. I'm pretty up on CA parrots and that doesn't look like anything i know of.

TinyHumanGiant

Apr 1, 2021
I have been fascinated with the extinct carolina parakeet for a long time, and in doing some reading I came across the pictures you posted of your unknown conures that you found in a cut down tree. I am not convinced that they are the supposedly extinct Carolina parakeet for a few reasons, including their early life coloration (juvenile Carolinas were solid green) the lack of a fully feathered cere, and the limited amount of red they show on their head (more extensive in Carolinas)...
However, they bear an uncanny resemblance to the extinct birds, and for the life of me I cannot figure out for sure what they might be. I have come up with a handful of possibilities, so hear me out:

1) your birds might be some kind of pied variant of a half moon conure, this is a partial albinism trait (effects primarily melanin production (blue pigment) but only over part of the body. This might explain the extra yellow that you dont normally see in half-moon
2) your birds might be a hybrid, maybe of a half moon and something like a sun or jenday conure
2b) (my favorite theory) your birds may indeed have carolina parakeet (Conuropsis) traits because they have some conuropsis Gene's. Perhaps a sub-population of carolina parakeet interbred with your birds ancestors (though Honduras is pretty far south of their known range) and these two just happened to display a more or less recombined set of carolina/Conuropsis genes (again a hybrid, but with legitimate Conuropsis ancestry
3) This could be a fraud. You could be a photoshopping master who is just taking us all on a ride by giving us a tantalizing glimpse of an "extinct" bird... I hope this isnt the case, and I really dont think that it is. After all, you arent the one who suggested carolina parakeet.

Anyways, if you have any more insight into this, I would live to hear from you. Cheers!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When searching in the extensive history of Parrotforums, it is important to be mindful of the date in which a Thread was started. This is a Thread of several years ago.

TinyHumanGiant

Apr 1, 2021
When searching in the extensive history of Parrotforums, it is important to be mindful of the date in which a Thread was started. This is a Thread of several years ago.
True, but I just found it and it's cool, and I figured it was a long shot, but I could still hope for an update... the eternal optomist comes out at times

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I have been fascinated with the extinct carolina parakeet for a long time, and in doing some reading I came across the pictures you posted of your unknown conures that you found in a cut down tree. I am not convinced that they are the supposedly extinct Carolina parakeet for a few reasons, including their early life coloration (juvenile Carolinas were solid green) the lack of a fully feathered cere, and the limited amount of red they show on their head (more extensive in Carolinas)...
However, they bear an uncanny resemblance to the extinct birds, and for the life of me I cannot figure out for sure what they might be. I have come up with a handful of possibilities, so hear me out:

1) your birds might be some kind of pied variant of a half moon conure, this is a partial albinism trait (effects primarily melanin production (blue pigment) but only over part of the body. This might explain the extra yellow that you dont normally see in half-moon
2) your birds might be a hybrid, maybe of a half moon and something like a sun or jenday conure
2b) (my favorite theory) your birds may indeed have carolina parakeet (Conuropsis) traits because they have some conuropsis Gene's. Perhaps a sub-population of carolina parakeet interbred with your birds ancestors (though Honduras is pretty far south of their known range) and these two just happened to display a more or less recombined set of carolina/Conuropsis genes (again a hybrid, but with legitimate Conuropsis ancestry
3) This could be a fraud. You could be a photoshopping master who is just taking us all on a ride by giving us a tantalizing glimpse of an "extinct" bird... I hope this isnt the case, and I really dont think that it is. After all, you arent the one who suggested carolina parakeet.

Anyways, if you have any more insight into this, I would live to hear from you. Cheers!
I know it's an old thread...
I don't think 2b) option is possible. But I have another very sad option:
4) somebody chemically imbued the conures :(
It's terrible but unfortunately this happens because some people want to earn more money :(

Most Reactions