anyone know what this is

That looks like some type of mites to me... Dark nails could indicate mite larvae shells, like with feather mites. I'm not sure about this (at all), but that's what I'd guess.

my vet gave me vetricyn for all my pets also gave me scat for air sac mites

but i only had this bird a couple days? it does not look like another bird or animal injured it?

Mites can be contracted in many ways. Where did you get it? Exposure to a mite infected bird is all it takes. If a bird he used to be with was exposed to outdoor sparrows or such, he could get it from them, and transfer it to your birds. Keep your birds away from this one and give them all the meds your vet gave you. Best to prevent the spread within your home. Also, be aware that some mites can pass on to you as well. Wash your hands and be clean about this issue.

he was an extra a breeder friend of mine had

they DNA sex'd him and turned out they had 2 male conures instead of a male and female so he went to me

wierdly this species of conure is not found much here no one has them they all have sun conures

i saw the other birds they dont have feet like that???

I Did let all my birds free fly though, there is a larger parrot there, does it look like an attack? my black headed caique do it?

He was in a cage with another male also i wonder ???

As for the missing nail, it may be because he bit it off from the mites. I'm referring to the darkened nail having mites. The missing one could be an old injury or a self-inflicted one. Again, I'm not certain. I'd discuss it with your vet to determine the cause so he doesn't injure himself any further if that is the cause of the missing nail.

my vet gives me emergency stuff so i can treat my animals myself because i have a dog that flaires up and a cat with issues

I had a c anary with air sac mites so my vet just sent me with some various bird meds plus scatt he said to use them where i see fit, i am a vet tech in training but I KNOW there are people on this forum that have had so much experience so i thought they would know more.

He did not tell me i can catch this?

vetricn is a spray that wil l treat skin problems and or injury it is good and safe for birds because even if it gets in their eye the bird wont get hurt

he said scatt is the most powerful mite killer out there and will get rid of everything like advantage for birds?

the dark nails are the birds normal color though all my parrots have dark nails and scales on their feet.

I was told breeders cut the nail really far back to dna test their birds i am not sure if its true or not.

I'd essentially start a Quarantine for any bird who you know have mites. Treat them with what your vet gave you and keep an eye on the others. Just my opinion/advice.

yeah if any bird show any signs i keep them far away

air sac mites is what scatt is for

leg mites i never heard on a parrot but we use jelly for that

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back