Apologies for the lengthy post, just wanted to say Hello to all!

seniordiglet

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2023
Georgia
Parrots
Violet Indian Ringneck - Ele (i.e. Ellie)
Apologies ahead of time, I tend to write a lot without realizing it. I tried to put a very basic introduction into my 'About You' section, but it keeps saying that it's registering as spam. I've tried typing out the simplest of statements (i.e. 'I love parrots) -- still registers as spam.

To be perfectly frank and up-front, I haven't visited any forum since my early World of Warcraft days (i.e. 2004-2005), so I was a bit hesitant to make a thread. Typically I lurk, hope others ask the questions I may have, and get my answers that way - but I digress. Here's my introduction (apologies again for the length).

My wife and I are both retired military, have 2 children (15 and 9), and our family has had a pet bird nearly every year for the last decade. Back in 2013, I was transitioning out of the military and moving back home, wife and son in tow. We found a mom/pop pet store that I'm assuming opened while I was away for the previous 8 years, and went inside to give ourselves a break and just see what animals they had. My son at the time was 5 or so, and instantly fell in love with the birds. We all did honestly. We didn't leave with a bird that day, but we left with a curiosity that expedited our getting one. Instead of dropping a few hundred bucks right there, we went to the military base in my area to finish up my DD214 copies and get our ID's renewed/replaced.

After we unpacked, I went into the local FB group for military members and was going to give away the boxes we used to move, and saw someone giving away a free Budgie. The member was PCS'ing (changing duty stations) and couldn't take him with her. We jumped at the chance and drove back to town and picked him up, my son immediately giving him the name Bunny. He came with a cage, toys, etc. -- all free, so with it being so close to his birthday, it was a win-win for all of us.
We were told Bunny was almost 2 years old, but we never knew the better. Bunny and my son were inseparable. Bunny immediately chose him in the way a bird can only do, but we all loved him, and he loved us. Though he was perplexed when our daughter was born, which was fun and stressful to watch. However, Bunny lived a good and happy life up until his passing, which right around his 7th birthday (5th year for us).

It broke our son's heart when we lost Bunny, hell it broke all of our hearts honestly. Hearing his little whistles and half-mumbled words were missed for almost 2 years. It took that long until my son decided that he wanted to get a new feathery-friend. Luckily the mom/pop shop is still around, and they frequently have budgies, cockatiels, g/y cheek conures, etc. so we surprise him on his first day of Summer break and he picks the new bird - a cockatiel. The 'tiel was only around 3-4 months old when we bought it, and it was labelled as a female. We didn't care, no intent on breeding it, my son just loved the grey head, speckled yellow, and peachy cheek. Our youngest and him picked the name (with some help from me) 'Peachy'.

Peachy turned out to be a boy, but had been getting called 'pretty girl', 'tweet girl', etc. all day every day. She had her own words, whistles, sayings, etc. for each of the 4 of us. She was learning the Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, and Zelda from me, and any/all parrot whistles on YT that my kids could find and replicate. Peachy was our perfect new flockmate after losing Bunny, and he was just ... everything to us. Sadly, we only had him for about 2 years. Peachy's recent incident is what really pushed me to stalk the forums and do everything I could find to try and fix the issue.

Our daughter is 9, so to say she doesn't think before she acts and speaks would be the grossest of understatements. Normally the birds morning routine occupied both our IRN (Ele) and Peachy with toys & breakfast then straight to preening between a certain timeframe. However, it's Thanksgiving week and our routine went out the window on Friday when their half-day ended. In a nutshell, my daughter didn't notice peachy perched atop the door frame of the back door, and was running outside to play (since it was a nice day) and our sweet Peachy got spooked with the veracity in which she opened it, and then terrified when my daughter screamed at realizing what had just happened. Needless to say Peachy flew up high and never came down. She sat high atop a tree the entire day about 200 yards away from our house, and we left her travel cage, treats, blankets, etc. out for her to try and lure her down. We sat and stayed, but at dusk we had to head in since it was clear she wasn't coming down (it's also deer season). I live in the country, so she was about 150+ feet atop a 100+ year old Southern Pine Tree on the edge of farmland that was not over myside of the property line. There was no climbing it, or getting her down outside of using my chainsaw to bring the entire tree down, which was not an option. We saw her 1 more time the next day, and she was still in the same area (she answered our calls), and flew over our land (7-8 acres) back and forth 3 or 4 times during the afternoon. That was our last sighting.

I've been lurking any/all forums and comments trying to find a method could maybe help lure her back. I've been wanting to get an IRN for a few years and finally got the chance to buy one a few months ago. She's a Violet that I named Ele (i.e. Ellie), named after what my Bachelor's degree is in -- Space Studies/Interplanetary Science. Anyway, with Peachy's situation and Ele growing up, I figured it'd be better to have somewhere permanent to come to and ask questions if I need to. I really appreciate the wesbite/forums, and look forward to talking with all of you! I hope everyone has a great week, and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Very Respectfully,
Diglet

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Apologies ahead of time, I tend to write a lot without realizing it. I tried to put a very basic introduction into my 'About You' section, but it keeps saying that it's registering as spam. I've tried typing out the simplest of statements (i.e. 'I love parrots) -- still registers as spam.

To be perfectly frank and up-front, I haven't visited any forum since my early World of Warcraft days (i.e. 2004-2005), so I was a bit hesitant to make a thread. Typically I lurk, hope others ask the questions I may have, and get my answers that way - but I digress. Here's my introduction (apologies again for the length).

My wife and I are both retired military, have 2 children (15 and 9), and our family has had a pet bird nearly every year for the last decade. Back in 2013, I was transitioning out of the military and moving back home, wife and son in tow. We found a mom/pop pet store that I'm assuming opened while I was away for the previous 8 years, and went inside to give ourselves a break and just see what animals they had. My son at the time was 5 or so, and instantly fell in love with the birds. We all did honestly. We didn't leave with a bird that day, but we left with a curiosity that expedited our getting one. Instead of dropping a few hundred bucks right there, we went to the military base in my area to finish up my DD214 copies and get our ID's renewed/replaced.

After we unpacked, I went into the local FB group for military members and was going to give away the boxes we used to move, and saw someone giving away a free Budgie. The member was PCS'ing (changing duty stations) and couldn't take him with her. We jumped at the chance and drove back to town and picked him up, my son immediately giving him the name Bunny. He came with a cage, toys, etc. -- all free, so with it being so close to his birthday, it was a win-win for all of us.
We were told Bunny was almost 2 years old, but we never knew the better. Bunny and my son were inseparable. Bunny immediately chose him in the way a bird can only do, but we all loved him, and he loved us. Though he was perplexed when our daughter was born, which was fun and stressful to watch. However, Bunny lived a good and happy life up until his passing, which right around his 7th birthday (5th year for us).

It broke our son's heart when we lost Bunny, hell it broke all of our hearts honestly. Hearing his little whistles and half-mumbled words were missed for almost 2 years. It took that long until my son decided that he wanted to get a new feathery-friend. Luckily the mom/pop shop is still around, and they frequently have budgies, cockatiels, g/y cheek conures, etc. so we surprise him on his first day of Summer break and he picks the new bird - a cockatiel. The 'tiel was only around 3-4 months old when we bought it, and it was labelled as a female. We didn't care, no intent on breeding it, my son just loved the grey head, speckled yellow, and peachy cheek. Our youngest and him picked the name (with some help from me) 'Peachy'.

Peachy turned out to be a boy, but had been getting called 'pretty girl', 'tweet girl', etc. all day every day. She had her own words, whistles, sayings, etc. for each of the 4 of us. She was learning the Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, and Zelda from me, and any/all parrot whistles on YT that my kids could find and replicate. Peachy was our perfect new flockmate after losing Bunny, and he was just ... everything to us. Sadly, we only had him for about 2 years. Peachy's recent incident is what really pushed me to stalk the forums and do everything I could find to try and fix the issue.

Our daughter is 9, so to say she doesn't think before she acts and speaks would be the grossest of understatements. Normally the birds morning routine occupied both our IRN (Ele) and Peachy with toys & breakfast then straight to preening between a certain timeframe. However, it's Thanksgiving week and our routine went out the window on Friday when their half-day ended. In a nutshell, my daughter didn't notice peachy perched atop the door frame of the back door, and was running outside to play (since it was a nice day) and our sweet Peachy got spooked with the veracity in which she opened it, and then terrified when my daughter screamed at realizing what had just happened. Needless to say Peachy flew up high and never came down. She sat high atop a tree the entire day about 200 yards away from our house, and we left her travel cage, treats, blankets, etc. out for her to try and lure her down. We sat and stayed, but at dusk we had to head in since it was clear she wasn't coming down (it's also deer season). I live in the country, so she was about 150+ feet atop a 100+ year old Southern Pine Tree on the edge of farmland that was not over myside of the property line. There was no climbing it, or getting her down outside of using my chainsaw to bring the entire tree down, which was not an option. We saw her 1 more time the next day, and she was still in the same area (she answered our calls), and flew over our land (7-8 acres) back and forth 3 or 4 times during the afternoon. That was our last sighting.

I've been lurking any/all forums and comments trying to find a method could maybe help lure her back. I've been wanting to get an IRN for a few years and finally got the chance to buy one a few months ago. She's a Violet that I named Ele (i.e. Ellie), named after what my Bachelor's degree is in -- Space Studies/Interplanetary Science. Anyway, with Peachy's situation and Ele growing up, I figured it'd be better to have somewhere permanent to come to and ask questions if I need to. I really appreciate the wesbite/forums, and look forward to talking with all of you! I hope everyone has a great week, and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Very Respectfully,
Diglet
Welcome to the forums, @seniordiglet, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too, though I am very sorry to hear of your loss of sweet Peachy. I also have a Peachie, she's a princess parrot only recently acquired, and just the sweetest little thing too! 💖

Have you listed Peachy on the Parrot Alert website yet? You can list her as "missing" there, but also check the "found birds" listings just in case she's been found and listed already. I've linked their website here ...

A number of our members have been successfully reunited with their feather babies via their service. And here are a couple more resources that you may find useful too ...

You can also alert local Facebook community groups, pet shops and ALL local veterinary clinics, not just avian ones, and check with your local animal control or SPCA shelters. Pet birds often land on unsuspecting strangers, they recognise that people represent food and safety, and can end up getting handed in to vet clinics - I'm in Australia and I see multiple listings for lost birds handed in to vet clinics every day. They also turn up in back yards, which is how we got our cockatiel Jem last year. We tried for weeks to find his family without success, so he became part of our flock too.

But don't give up the search for Peachy too soon, so often pet birds are reunited after days or weeks on the loose.

Again, welcome to our virtual online flock, I'm glad you found us, and I hope you can be reunited with your Peachy very soon! 🙏

OP
seniordiglet

seniordiglet

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2023
Georgia
Parrots
Welcome to the forums, @seniordiglet, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours too, though I am very sorry to hear of your loss of sweet Peachy. I also have a Peachie, she's a princess parrot only recently acquired, and just the sweetest little thing too! 💖

Have you listed Peachy on the Parrot Alert website yet? You can list her as "missing" there, but also check the "found birds" listings just in case she's been found and listed already. I've linked their website here ...

A number of our members have been successfully reunited with their feather babies via their service. And here are a couple more resources that you may find useful too ...

You can also alert local Facebook community groups, pet shops and ALL local veterinary clinics, not just avian ones, and check with your local animal control or SPCA shelters. Pet birds often land on unsuspecting strangers, they recognise that people represent food and safety, and can end up getting handed in to vet clinics - I'm in Australia and I see multiple listings for lost birds handed in to vet clinics every day. They also turn up in back yards, which is how we got our cockatiel Jem last year. We tried for weeks to find his family without success, so he became part of our flock too.

But don't give up the search for Peachy too soon, so often pet birds are reunited after days or weeks on the loose.

Again, welcome to our virtual online flock, I'm glad you found us, and I hope you can be reunited with your Peachy very soon! 🙏
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the well wishes!

As far as listing Peachy on the Parrot alert website(s), I went ahead and did that after getting all of our morning chores done for my IRN (Ele) and taking care of the chickens/ducks outside. I even offered a reward on the website that you listed IIRC. Here's to hoping we can get our Peachy-bean back! Because my wife and I are home 24/7, our birds only ever go into their cages at night for the most part (outside of shopping trips, family events, etc.), so her (his) heart is strong. Peachy free-flew a lot around the house, playing with the kids, cat, and Ele. Divebombing the cat was so funny to watch. So if Peachy is by some miracle still out there, I hope he makes it home to us. If not, I hope he continues to fly high into total and utter bliss.

I do plan on joining some local FB groups later today, but as I said, I'm from the middle of BFE (middle of no-where), and the chance anyone even knows what a Cockatiel is (or has even seen one in person) is slim. That's the downside to living the quiet and slow-paced life, I reckon. Everything is far away, and certain pets are much more niche than they would be elsewhere.

Thanks again! Happy Turkey Day!

Very Respectfully,
Diglet

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

As far as listing Peachy on the Parrot alert website(s), I went ahead and did that after getting all of our morning chores done for my IRN (Ele) and taking care of the chickens/ducks outside. I even offered a reward on the website that you listed IIRC. Here's to hoping we can get our Peachy-bean back! Because my wife and I are home 24/7, our birds only ever go into their cages at night for the most part (outside of shopping trips, family events, etc.), so her (his) heart is strong. Peachy free-flew a lot around the house, playing with the kids, cat, and Ele. Divebombing the cat was so funny to watch. So if Peachy is by some miracle still out there, I hope he makes it home to us. If not, I hope he continues to fly high into total and utter bliss.

I do plan on joining some local FB groups later today, but as I said, I'm from the middle of BFE (middle of no-where), and the chance anyone even knows what a Cockatiel is (or has even seen one in person) is slim. That's the downside to living the quiet and slow-paced life, I reckon. Everything is far away, and certain pets are much more niche than they would be elsewhere.

Very Respectfully,
Diglet
You may find comfort in the fact that many escaped birds are found and rescued even if they aren't reunited with their owners.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Very Respectfully,
Diglet
Awwwwwww, you're most welcome @seniordiglet! I'm glad you've started listing Peachy as lost, I should mention that there are sadly some awful and unscrupulous people who trawl those places looking for folks like you who have lost birds and will message them demanding money just for information about your bird. This is 100% a scam so please don't be tempted by them.

Cockatiels have evolved to be VERY strong flyers and even pet ones are capable of covering great distances quite rapidly - goodness only knows where my Jem came from before he ended up in my back yard. Peachy may still be close by though so it's worth your keeping an eye and an ear out locally. My Peachie Princess and I are praying for your Peachy, that he is safe wherever he is 🙏 🙏 🙏

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. If you keep parrots long enough, chances are that one day one of them will escape. I have had 2 escapes, one we never saw again (lost in New York City) and the other one we were reunited, he was lost in a suburb of NYC , on Long Island. The keys are to spread the search as wide as possible using every resource and opportunity - like flyers put up in every Vet office, supermarket, laundramat, quicky mart, etc etc and making sure they are kept up as long as possible. Use your social network resources on-line. And be persistent! Parrots are reunited with owners anywhere from the next day to months later.

Good Luck!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello! I’m so sorry to read of your family’s sorrow. All advice given is good here, I hope for all the best! The feathered ones are so special and touch is deeply.
I especially feel sad for your 9 year old daughter. She must feel terrible that she was the one involved in Peachy's escape. Make sure she gets lots of love and doesn't blame herself too much.

OP
seniordiglet

seniordiglet

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2023
Georgia
Parrots
I especially feel sad for your 9 year old daughter. She must feel terrible that she was the one involved in Peachy's escape. Make sure she gets lots of love and doesn't blame herself too much.
We have definitely been trying to help explain it to her. We've been running through the scenario that occurred over and over, stressing with her that it was an accident and sometimes they can't be foreseen or avoided. We've stressed that principle before to teach her as she's grown that life has no undo buttons, and once something happens it cannot un-happen. Sadly, this is a painful learning lesson for her.

Our IRN isn't the best flyer yet, and hasn't even come close to the door that Peachy flew out of, but she is triple, quadruple, and checking 5-6 times over that Ele is no where near the door when she goes outside. I think it's safe to assume she's learned a lesson, now to keep complacency from setting back in with a 9 year old is a uphill battle.

I appreciate you thinking of her! We've had no one contact us about Peachy thusfar, have contacted everyone in our small-town area that we know so everyone is on the lookout. Hopefully she is doing well wherever she is, if she flew herself into the big sky upstairs, she went out flying extremely high and hopefully happy.

OP
seniordiglet

seniordiglet

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2023
Georgia
Parrots
Hello! I’m so sorry to read of your family’s sorrow. All advice given is good here, I hope for all the best! The feathered ones are so special and touch is deeply.
I appreciate that so much! Hope your family and flock are doing well and having a great weekend! We've still got our fingers and Ele has her wings crossed for Peachy's return one day.

OP
seniordiglet

seniordiglet

Supporting Member
Nov 22, 2023
Georgia
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed. If you keep parrots long enough, chances are that one day one of them will escape. I have had 2 escapes, one we never saw again (lost in New York City) and the other one we were reunited, he was lost in a suburb of NYC , on Long Island. The keys are to spread the search as wide as possible using every resource and opportunity - like flyers put up in every Vet office, supermarket, laundramat, quicky mart, etc etc and making sure they are kept up as long as possible. Use your social network resources on-line. And be persistent! Parrots are reunited with owners anywhere from the next day to months later.

Good Luck!
I really appreciate the information and insight! We live in a very rural area, so our closet vet (not avian specific) is a 30 minute ride. Our best bet was FB groups, and knowing mostly everyone in our small town. Everyone has been looking for her, and the vet has a lookout for any turn-in's for cockatiels. Sadly we have yet to hear anything.

My son has pretty much accepted that Peachy is gone for good, and my wife has nearly gotten there. She's making a shadowbox with some of her feathers and cute pictures we took over the last 18 months. There's a big bird show coming up about 2 hours away in GA next weekend, and my wife and I plan to take the kids up there if they want and see if anything up there speaks to us as a suitable replacement for Peachy. We're in no rush, so if we leave empty handed, that's okay too. Peachy was an exceptionally loving bird, so it's going to be hard replacing her (him).

Hopefully if Peachy is found by someone without us knowing, they love her the way she (He) deserves.

Thanks again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts