Appropriate Cage Size Recommendations

EJones9797

Nov 11, 2021
Parrots
Parakeets
Hello everyone, as the title suggests, I'm looking for suggestions on suitable cages for two parakeets (1 male/female with no intention on breeding). My budget is $100 max. Currently have this one listed below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211111-221746_kindlephoto-1523131.png
    Screenshot_20211111-221746_kindlephoto-1523131.png
    167 KB · Views: 113

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello everyone, as the title suggests, I'm looking for suggestions on suitable cages for two parakeets (1 male/female with no intention on breeding). My budget is $100 max. Currently have this one listed below
Hello and welcome!

The cage is a rather bit too small for two parakeets. Try to go with something wider, but still tall enough. A good cage for a pair would be good what Tiki has suggested in her last link (however I see it is unavailable). Keep in mind to keep the bar spacing on 1.2 or 1 cm. Bigger is always better, budgies are very flighty birds and contrary to their small size do need a lot of space, especially if they will be closed for most of the day. Also more space for them will mean that they'd have enough space to dodge and move if the female decides to be cranky and bully the male.

Also there is no guarantee that the male and female will not try to mate and breed, especially if kept in the same cage. Females are usually much more territorial so there is a chance you might have to separate them. Always keep in mind you might have to have to keep them in 2 separate cages if they do not get along. Our little girl is a terrible bully, and while from time to time she did let the boy enter her cage, she did bully him a lot in the evening and would chase him out in a blink. To this day in the evenings she doesn't let anyone near her cage.

Ideal size for a pair of keets in my opinion would be around 70cm or more x 40-50cm x 70cm (LxDxH). it's enough space for them to move around freely, but still not too big.

Try to search on the used market, you could get the ideal size for 100 dollars, I'd guess. Just make sure it's not damaged/rusty, and disinfect thoroughly before use.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hello and welcome!

The cage is a rather bit too small for two parakeets. Try to go with something wider, but still tall enough. A good cage for a pair would be good what Tiki has suggested in her last link (however I see it is unavailable).
Oh really?, it showed available in my screen! Or i didnt pay attention (which is more likely;) ) thanks for the reminder

OP
E

EJones9797

Nov 11, 2021
Parrots
Parakeets
Sorry for the late response. Thank you both for your extremely helpful recommendations. I failed to mention how both have been housed in the cage I attached for the 7 months of ownership. They get along extremely well and are always playful. No aggression has been witnessed.

The third cage (flight cage) offers a much wider space for flying, however, seeing how mine are so used to taller cages, would it be more suitable to choose cage 2 from Amazon?

Here's another cage I was thinking

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211112-225605_kindlephoto-593755.png
    Screenshot_20211112-225605_kindlephoto-593755.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 117

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
We have a Prevue cage with kind of a dome on it. # 41618 (Cockatiel Flight Cage) we bought at the VI Pets store when we bought our little parakeet (11-30-21) it is 26" wide x 14" deep and 22 1/2" high. Cost us about $80.00 On Amazon is a Hendrix cage which is nearly the same dimensions, not quite as tall for $88.00 (I have prime and that is the delivered price) So this would be under $100.00 ;) link: https://smile.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet...s&rnid=2528832011&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-10&th=1

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
Astro - violet yellow face budgie (juvenile male)
@EJones9797 When it comes to budgies, you want a wider than tall cage. This is because budgies fly horizontally, not vertically. This is the sort of cage you want:
1638758844585.png

It's the cage I have for one budgie but it could certainly house two easily!
It is 30 by 18 inches which is the universal budgie cage standards.
This is my setup:
thumbnail_C9016D6D-633A-4C7B-B813-0F961E1B32BE.jpg

Please take note the toy arrangement changes every 3-4 days ;)
You can also buy the matching cage stand which I did. The cage is under $100 (AUS dollars).
Its the perfect cage and I love it so much. It is durable and comes with two dowel branches (which I don't recommend using - get natural ones like the two I have. The one dowel branch in my cage is used for bird food/water access and Astro my budgie never sits on the dowel during the day. He just uses it to get across to his food and water.) It also comes with two food and water dishes and multiple access points at the food and water stations and then a large access at the front with a mini access on top of that. The cage stand comes with a rack for storage. It can be bought at American online pet store products such as Chewy. It can be bought from local petstores, PetStock and PetBarn. Online and instore. I hope this helps

Budgie_Addicted

Sep 7, 2021
Media
Australia, QLD
Parrots
Astro - violet yellow face budgie (juvenile male)
I recommend a cage that is about 90cm tall and wide because birds do actually like to sleep high up and you can fit a lot of toys so you're bird can be occupied while you're not home
True, they do like high sleeping spots so it's good to place at least one higher natural branch. But the OP is looking for a budgie cage, and budgies still need wider than tall because they fly horizontally, not vertically. :)

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
True, they do like high sleeping spots so it's good to place at least one higher natural branch. But the OP is looking for a budgie cage, and budgies still need wider than tall because they fly horizontally, not vertically. :)
While that is true, it's never a bad idea to put a bit into height or at least put the cage in a high place. I get a nerve breakdown when I see people keeping cages down on the floor....

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Ideal size is about the size of a 2 car garage. Too big? OK, the average kitchen. STILL too big? Average bathroom? OK how's this. As big as you can afford. SKip a few dining out and rock concerts, it's worth it. Cages can never be too big.

ριgριzυ

Oct 25, 2021
Indiana
Parrots
⋆✧ 𝒫𝓊𝓂𝓅𝓀𝒾𝓃 ~ 𝐹𝑒𝓂𝒶𝓁𝑒 𝒜𝓂𝑒𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒮𝒽♡𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒶𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒢𝓊𝒾𝓃𝑒𝒶-𝓅𝒾𝑔

𝒫𝑒𝒶𝓃𝓊𝓉 ~ 𝑀𝒶𝓁𝑒 𝒜𝓂𝑒𝓇𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒮𝒽🍬𝓇𝓉𝒽𝒶𝒾𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝒢𝓊𝒾𝓃𝑒𝒶-𝓅𝒾𝑔 ✧⋆
my budgies choose to hang onto the hardwire mesh and sleep 💀

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
I got one from Tractor Supply delivered. 26" W x 14" deep and 20" tall. Cage is made by Prevue Hendryx and very well made. 1/2" spacin We had a previous cage, called a Cockatiel Flight Cage, same company, had 5/8 " spacing - a bit TOO wide.

I know it could be a bit bigger but we live in a very small house, remodeling at the moment, and also have 2 Zebra Finches. So space, right now, is a premium.
Meet Adrian and Rocky (blue) Balboa :)

Attachments

• Rocky-Adrian.jpg
    Rocky-Adrian.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
E

EJones9797

Nov 11, 2021
Parrots
Parakeets
I got one from Tractor Supply delivered. 26" W x 14" deep and 20" tall. Cage is made by prevue Hendryx and very well made. 1/2" spacing, and a previous cage, same company had 5/8 " spacing (a Cockatiel Flight Cage)
I know it could be a bit bigger but we live in a very small house, remodeling at the moment, and also have 2 Zebra Finches. So space, right now, is a premium.
I got one from Tractor Supply delivered. 26" W x 14" deep and 20" tall. Cage is made by prevue Hendryx and very well made. 1/2" spacing, and a previous cage, same company had 5/8 " spacing (a Cockatiel Flight Cage)
Hello Rocky and Adrian! Excellent name choices. That cage size exceeds the minimum dimensions for buddies (18x18) so that works for two parakeets. Are the finches in the same cage?

OP
E

EJones9797

Nov 11, 2021
Parrots
Parakeets
My apologies for the late response, but thank you everyone for your recommendations and tips! Attached below is the cage I went with. I still need to purchase more perches and remodel though.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 64
OP
E

EJones9797

Nov 11, 2021
Parrots
Parakeets
Also, would it be advisable to add a Cockatiel to this cage or get a separate cage?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Also, would it be advisable to add a Cockatiel to this cage or get a separate cage?
Absolutely a separate. Budgies are such bullies, and a pair will for sure bully the cockatiel.

Most Reactions

Latest posts