Are hammertone coated metal cages toxic for parrots?

Habiibatii

Jun 6, 2022
Parrots
Two umbrella cockatoos
My umbrella cockatoo loves chewing! This is my first parrot and prior I didn’t know much about birds. I’ve been doing my research and learned a lot this far. Im not finding much information on cages coated in hammertone or “Hammer paint”, and if they are safe. I’ve seen bird cages where it’s flaking off, and that can’t be good. It is a bird cage, but not all companies are integral and I am new to birds.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Hammer Paint, as you call it, should be okay if it's safe for nurseries and children's toys. Those are non toxic and should be safe for bird cages. Otherwise I'd avoid it. Beyond that, I wish I was of more help!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My umbrella cockatoo loves chewing! This is my first parrot and prior I didn’t know much about birds. I’ve been doing my research and learned a lot this far. Im not finding much information on cages coated in hammertone or “Hammer paint”, and if they are safe. I’ve seen bird cages where it’s flaking off, and that can’t be good. It is a bird cage, but not all companies are integral and I am new to birds.
I would suggest finding an aluminum or stainless steel cage. I don't think any pqint safe if he ingest it. Small amounts? Sure. Large amounts? No.

I find very little info if it is safe even for humans, so I suggest not using it.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I would suggest finding an aluminum or stainless steel cage. I don't think any pqint safe if he ingest it. Small amounts? Sure. Large amounts? No.

I find very little info if it is safe even for humans, so I suggest not using it.
I found a few documents online that say it can be harmful if humans ingest it so I dunno. Maybe we're thinking about a different paint.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO it really comes down to how it was painted. If they used a rattle can of spray paint, then the answer is a resounding NO. If however the cage was powder coated (which good quality cages are) then that is safe. Powder coating is a fine powder that is electrically applied to the cage and then cured in a high temp oven. It is hard as nails and as such is very beak resistant.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
I trust the American made cages with "Hammertone" such as my Prevue or A&E cages over the hundreds of Chinese knock-offs.

My old roommates Mom showed up one day with a pair of Budgies in a cardboard box. Crazy right. I didn't have a real spare cage for them just my to-go cage for my Sun Conure. At the time I didn't have the cash for a Prevue or A&E cage so got one of the Chinese ones. When it arrived the paint was already rusting is some places and peeling off. Needless to say I sent it back and got a smaller Prevue cage than I wanted to.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Sadly, aside from possibly some custom makers, there are no more cage manufacturers in the US. They are all sourced from China, made to each particular brand's specs, and all from a small number of factories. The cheaper "Chinese" brands are cheaper because those specs are more cost effective, ie. cheaper, thinner materials, cheaper coatings, less stringent quality control, etc. End result leaving the choice of "good" vs "maybe good enough." (or maybe not)

Most Reactions

Latest posts