Are Jandays the same as Suns, & are jendays that much louder than gcc's?

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Have my heart set on a gcc because I heard they were the quietest conure, but then I hear otherwise. What are your opinions? Are Jendays that loud? I mean wouldn't both birds do their morning sound off? Thanks.

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN
Guido can be a VERY loud bird. Jenday's have a loud shrieking call. He doesnt do it in the morning or evening as a flocking call though. He did for a while but gave up on it after about a month of being home with us.

He mainly makes the loud shrieking when I get home from work it seems. He is apaprently very happy to see me when I get home since he knows that my being home means that its out of cage time :) Other than that he is a fairly quiet bird. When excited he can shriek, REALLY loudly, but its never w/o a reason and not at all frequently.

As for how quiet GCC's are, that I cant speak to, can only relate my experiences with Guido :)

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
I have a Sun who is very loud and I know of people who have a Jenday who is just as loud and as obnoxious as my Sun is. I've also met quiet Jendays. I guess it all depends on the bird.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I think it definitely depends on the particular bird, more than the species. We have an alex and they are notoriously pretty loud, and she is reasonably quiet. When she does yell, it is quite loud, but the only time she really does it is right after I leave the room. She will yell for a little while and either stop when I come back or when she realizes I'm not coming right back in. On the other hand, we have a black capped conure which are supposed to be quieter than green cheeks, yet he is pretty loud. His scream isn't as loud as our alex's but he does it more often. I've never met a quiet sun before, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If you are looking for a quieter bird, I would stay away from any of the aratinga species, but that's just me.

OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
I kind of figured a bird is meant to yell, scream, its natural, so, I'm not looking for quiet per se, just less quiet. I chose a conure because in my other post I was looking for a bird as small as a cockatiel, or around there. I have looked up a few on the species board, but non fancied me, and I don't think they were small anyway. I liked the look of the conure, and its' playfulness. Couldn't find a nearby breeder of the gcc, but was able to find a baby jenday for sale. It's not weened yet, but I will wait, because I prefer a youngster that is able to eat on it's own.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
To answer your question and having owned both species, yes the Jenday is WAY louder than the GCC. Having also housed a Sun, also louder than GCC. In my experience, Jendays and Suns are pretty close in loudness, however the Sun's pitch is lower than the Jenday so a tad easier on the ears in my opinion. Not to say that any of them scream all the time but when they do it's very loud. However they do not come close to the GCC for sure.

My friend owns both GCC and Sun. She measured their call : GCC is 90 decibels and Sun is 100 decibels. What's 10 decibels you might ask? It's 100 times louder! Each db is 10 times louder. The scale goes from 0 to 140, a whisper being around 45 and normal conversation being about 65.

Last edited:

schristensen13

Oct 6, 2010
Chico, CA
Parrots
Meyers (Kevin) and CAG (Mariah)
If you are looking for a "quieter" smaller parrot, don't rule out the Poicephalus family...Senegals, Meyers, Brownheads. No one is going to be "quiet" but I believe these guys aren't as loud as conures and they are super playful. Good luck!

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
If you are looking for a "quieter" smaller parrot, don't rule out the Poicephalus family...

I was a Senegal dad and I can attest to the fact that my Kelly was much quieter and more pleasing to the ears than my blue crowns. Even at her loudest I don't think she could approach the noise of a conure. As stated above, individual birds may vary. Though I love my pair of bcc's, I think that if I ever bring in another I would look for another Senegal to give my ears a break.

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
I only have a GCC & a cockatiel, but I can tell you that my GCC is much easier on my ears than my cockatiel. My tiel is quite high pitched. I find my GCC might have the same volume, but less high pitched. I also think "loud" is very perceptive. My children's screaming in the bathtub kills my ears, but my husband isn't bothered by it.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
My GCC is usually pretty quiet but I'm finding he's a lot more noisy than he used to be. He's about 1.5 years old now and lately he's been really using his voice!! It's normally to get attention so I try to ignore him and not react as I don't want it becoming a habit. He get's heaps of play time outside of his cage but this morning while making breakfast he just let loose! He was screeching at the to of his birdie lungs for about 30-40 seconds without a breath. He only stopped when I started laughing at him, I couldn't help it :p

So, quiet most of the time yeah, but they sure can be noisy too :)

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Our GCC is pretty quiet most of the time as well. Of course, there is an occasional temper tantrum here and there, but even then it is not an ear-piercing shriek - but more of a high-pitched monkey call, lol.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Jendays and Suns (And gold caps) are generally considered to be subspecies of the same species, that is, a species in the process of diverging into new and different types, which will eventually lose the ability to interbreed as they become further and further apart genetically, by which time they will be separate species. That is, if they were left to their own devices in the wild under the pressure of natural selection. It's all biology mumbo jumbo. The best way to think of them is say, like wolves and dogs, very closely related species that can (and do) interbreed. The Gold-Capped, Jenday and Sun Conures | Voren's Aviaries Inc is a good one if you want more on it.

Being closely related (and some would argue with jendays and suns, colour/regional variations of the same species) they share many traits. I find my jenday Alex is very vocal and very loud. But his screech isn't as piercing or as high pitched as the average suns. I'm not sure if thats a jenday trait or just him. But for comparison purposes, they are roughly equally as loud. Which is, very loud. I've found it has been possible to let Alex know when his vocalisations are appropriate (during the day I do let him vocalise. I find it unfair to suppress his natural call and instinct entirely. At night or in the morning, he knows it is not on.) I also found by encouraging his softer chirps and calls, and his bad attempts at talking, he would rather use those to try to get my attention then the full conure scream, which also reduces the occurrences of calls. That said, a a jenday or sun is going to scream sometimes regardless, and it's going to be loud. And some birds become very vocal (given it is usually the owner accidentally causing this by reinforcing the behaviour)... Based on my experience, if you live in (or plan to live in) an apartment or even flat type setting I would advise against both the jenday or sun (I have no experience with the gold cap), unless the apartment was soundproofed. Not only walls, but floors and ceiling to avoid annoying those up/downstairs. In a house of your own though, I never have had any issues with neighbours and the noise. The only time my neighbours at my old place heard my boy was when he was outside in the sun, and being the middle of the day they did not mind.

I have never had complaints on Alex's vocalisations, but he DOES have screaming fits sometimes when overly excited. I find the best way to deal with this is to half cover his cage so he can calm himself down in the half dark. That failing, I leave the room until he is calm and quiet. Usually these scream fits happen after I have been away for a day and he is super happy to see me, and I really can't blame him (And I do let it slide when it is for that reason, because I am happy to see him too!)

I also find Alex great for an adaptable sleeping habit. Some nights I am out and up late, and will sleep in for quite awhile the next day. I never hear a peep from Alex while I am sleeping in! I do, of course get up and uncover him and feed him and then go back for my sleep ins, but even when he is up and awake when he would usually be being loud, if I am sleeping he is quiet as a mouse. Quite unusual for such a loud species of bird!

In all honesty the calling of my mum's cockatiels used to bother me more. Alex is one or two loud screeches, with the occasional screaminf fit, wheras mum's cockatiels were a repetitive shrill call that could go on for up to 10 mins at a time! And this would happen all day, every day! They were very happy guys, and very vocal!

I think loud is perspective. But in almost everyone's perspective, suns and jendays are loud! You can control it to an extent and minimise it by providing other vocal outlets and not reinforcing the screaming, but you will never get rid of it, and it's unrealistic to try. It's part of who they are. That said, you do hear of people with typically loud birds who hit the jackpot and have the quietest one alive!

OP
Pinkstiletto66

Pinkstiletto66

Sep 25, 2011
NYC
Thank you all for your comments. I will stick to a GCC, whenever I can find a breeder.. ugh!

Most Reactions