Are my budgie's nails ready for a trim?

Feb 11, 2022
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Periwinkle (Budgie)
Peri Toenails.jpg

Periwinkle's toenails seem to be getting on the long side, do you think they're ready for a trim?
Any tips?

Honestly, I am against trimming budgie's nails unless they're painful to you (making you bleed), or the bird constantly snags them on things. All my budgies have long nails, and it helps with balance, preening, and quickly landing on perches. It makes them more confident.

I tried clipping my budgie's nails for 1 month, and they totally lost their confidence to do arial tricks, and fly long-distance. You can also really mess it up, and clipping their nails is super uncomfy for them.

His nails are fine, and as long as you provide natural perches, you'll probably never have to clip them.

Honestly, I am against trimming budgie's nails unless they're painful to you (making you bleed), or the bird constantly snags them on things. All my budgies have long nails, and it helps with balance, preening, and quickly landing on perches. It makes them more confident.

I tried clipping my budgie's nails for 1 month, and they totally lost their confidence to do arial tricks, and fly long-distance. You can also really mess it up, and clipping their nails is super uncomfy for them.

His nails are fine, and as long as you provide natural perches, you'll probably never have to clip them.
Yup, ok. Very helpful, thanks :)

excuse the poor infographic but it's the best I could manage on my phone. essentially to maintain foot health you want to trim their nails if it gets to the point the toe isnt laying flat when they stand on a flat surface. See nails curl inwards as they grow so sometimes to causes the foot to arch uncomfortably and that's what you want to avoid. Some budgies you never need to trim their nails. yours looks like it doesnt need a trim

Screenshot_20220211-201317_Samsung Notes.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back