Are there any bird safe home cleaning products?

BIRDLUV

Feb 23, 2013
i am wondering if there is any household cleaners that are safe to use around birds?

I normally use clorox wipes and spray, fabuloso, orange glo & sprayway glass cleaner ammonia free. I usually have all my windows open to let the house air out after cleaning.

also, can you guys recommend safe candles to burn around birds?

thanks

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Parrots have sensitive lungs and really shouldn't be exposed to any kind of chemical cleaners, scents or anything with a "chemical" smell. Baking soda, vinegar and borax are excellent cleaning alternatives. You can use these 3 to clean just about everything in your house. And occasionally using windex or bleach in a well ventilated area when they are in a different room isn't going to kill them either. There are organic candles (though kinda pricey) that are safe, but regular scented candles are not good for them to be around. I like using a few drops of essential oils in a water-filled spritz bottle. The scent of the oils isn't toxic to spray near birds. The bottles of essential oils can be a bit pricier than frabreez up front, but at a few drops at a time, they save tons of money in the long term. They also leave a natural, light, pleasant scent instead of an overbearing smell of artificial berry scent.

Wanted to add- those battery operated "candles" are great if you just want the look of candles, not necessarily the scent.

OP
B

BIRDLUV

Feb 23, 2013
Parrots have sensitive lungs and really shouldn't be exposed to any kind of chemical cleaners, scents or anything with a "chemical" smell. Baking soda, vinegar and borax are excellent cleaning alternatives. You can use these 3 to clean just about everything in your house. And occasionally using windex or bleach in a well ventilated area when they are in a different room isn't going to kill them either. There are organic candles (though kinda pricey) that are safe, but regular scented candles are not good for them to be around. I like using a few drops of essential oils in a water-filled spritz bottle. The scent of the oils isn't toxic to spray near birds. The bottles of essential oils can be a bit pricier than frabreez up front, but at a few drops at a time, they save tons of money in the long term. They also leave a natural, light, pleasant scent instead of an overbearing smell of artificial berry scent.

Wanted to add- those battery operated "candles" are great if you just want the look of candles, not necessarily the scent.
are there any essential oils you'd recommend?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Grapefruit seed extract is known to be very cleansing, and can even be put in your birds water to keep out bacteria. Aparently the author of Parrots for Dummies swears by it.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey

are there any essential oils you'd recommend?

I'd recommend Eucalyptus!

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
I've switched almost exclusively to vinegar and water for just about everything and surprisingly it works just as good, if not better that commercial chemical products. and its totally bird safe!

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I've been a Melaleuca customer for almost 4 years and have used their cleaning products around all my pets with no issues. The primary ingredients in their cleaners are citrus and vinegar, so that might be why. My sister's been using them around her birds for longer than that with no issues, too, so I didn't hesitate to use them near my new birdies.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I use predominantly vinegar and water. If a scrub is needed baking soda does well. I have a few scented candles in my home but do not light them. (The kind with a lid so they are fresh and I open as needed.) I also bake cookies when I want the house to smell nice lol! I use the battery candles when I want that glow. ;)

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
I use baking soda, vinegar, dish soap (Sunlight) and some Melaleuca products. And no candles.

Tuukee

Dec 16, 2012
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
VINEGAR VINEGAR VINEGAR!!!! it's what i use! you can mix with water but the its already diluted with water to 5% acidity. white wine vinegar, that is. the smell doesn't linger long.

FYI ~but you can even use it on your pets- dog/cat for fleas, or even for pets w sensitive skin. even kills eczema (man)... amazing amazing stuff! i swear by it, also humans can can brush their teeth with it, and drink some, actually very healthy to drink.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
simmer cinnamon sticks and orange rinds in water on the stove as well

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
My all time favorite is the concentrated produce wash that I get at Whole Foods or local "health food" store. There are several brands that come in a concentrate that can be diluted as you wish. For bird cage, I keep a spray bottle filled and use it more concentrated than the mixture states for produce. I consider it very safe, especially since it is formulated to use on food. In fact, I use it in most household cleaning now in varying strengths, especially any surfaces that Pritti might be on (counters, floors, etc.).

Borninps

Sep 4, 2018
not only our birds will be healthier, SO WILL WE!!!! Febreeze is sooooooooo bad for humans and animals, bleach and ammonia products should be avoided at all costs too - for humans and animals!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Essential oils aren't necessarily safe either--- there isn't enough evidence to show that they are, and a lot of people assert that they are not. I would avoid them, but that is just my preference.
Vinegar(white) +water
Baking soda
f10 sc (veterinary disinfectant - avian safe----I use it on everything---)
Grapeseed extract (diluted)
Non- concentrated Dawn (if fully rinsed off)

*I don't use any candles---even if they are organic, they still send wax and smoke into the air, and even organic wax/smoke is not my preference for my bird.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
I use baking soda, vinegar, dish soap (Sunlight) and some Melaleuca products. And no candles.

I'm not familiar with Melaleuca products so can't say. I have found that vinegar and lemon with water make good cleaners. I use Dawn dish soap. For stuck on messes, baking soda makes a good scrubbing agent.

Try to avoid borax and bleach products. Many people don't realize that vinegar can replace softeners in the washing machine and a ball of foil (Reynolds Wrap) removed static cling in dryers rather than sheets.

Most essential oils and candle perfumes as well colognes, lotions and perfumes are dangerous to birds.

Although a bird will live through much of this including cleaning chemicals and artificial sweetners outwardly unscathed, the lifespan can be significantly shortened due to internal damage.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Distilled white vinegar and water for everything. I have 4 spray bottles all over the house. So cheap and so effective.

I do the same. I recently discovered however that you can actually make scented vinegar spray. For example, soak lavender twigs in straight vinegar for 3-4 weeks, then dilute to 50%. Can also do lemon peels instead.

I really want to try this :)

Julieladders65

Sep 14, 2021
Parrots
Fisher Lovebird
I've switched almost exclusively to vinegar and water for just about everything and surprisingly it works just as good, if not better that commercial chemical products. and its totally bird safe!
Hi. What sort of vinegar do you use

Most Reactions

Latest posts