are tomatoes safe for Eclectus

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Han Solo - SI Male Eclectus
Hi all,

I have read lots on the diet for an Ekkie, some say the tomatoes (fruit only) are safe and on the other it’s not listed. so far I’ve not fed any . Can they eat the seeds ?

what is everyone’s experience ?

I ask as we have tomato’s for supper and I can easily give half to him to play/eat On a kabob.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I've also read things on both sides of this. I'm honestly not sure, so I don't feed tomatos, solely based on the acidity level, but that's just me. I generally take the approach of, if it's questionable, pick something else. Better safe than sorry, right? I know we have folks who give cherry tomatoes, (but not specifically with ekkies) and haven't heard about any issues with them, but I'm kinda over cautious with my guys.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I have heard(but not sure) that only give half of the tomato once a week, but as

saxguy64 if you're are not sure about something its better not to do it​

I myself feed my birds half a cherry tomato not weekly just rarely

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Tomatoes generally are safe. It’s the acid that’s concerning. Anything acid, really, including citrus like oranges. Just limit the acid to avoid upsetting the digestive system. A bit do tomato here and there shouldn’t be a problem.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Thank you everyone for your replies, I too have erred on the side of caution, I might try a small cube tomorrow.
It’s rare we have tomatoes as I’m not a great fan myself of them just plain. I’ve had to teach him some foods are ok to eat, tomatoes won’t be one lol. so he’s never going to get too many.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I feed tomatoes weekly to my flock and have for years no issues. I asked my vet and she said fine as long as not daily mentioned the acidity level as others have stated.

I do not feed any citrus because citric acid and iron storage. Tho soft bills are mentioned with this.

Mine really love them lots. ( tomatoes (

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Peppers, the hotter the better, a big YES. Tomatoes - I would not and do not offer them, for the acid thing. Always better to err on the side of caution.

OP
Talaya

Talaya

Apr 26, 2022
Media
Parrots
Well I tried him with A small wedge of a 1 inch tomato and he just threw it out of the bowl.so no tomatoes.

Most Reactions

Latest posts