Attacking a new toy..?

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
So, I went to a bird expo a few days ago, and I picked Midori up a bunch of stuff (All new branches for her cage so the dow pins are GONE, new toys, and a bulk bag of millet. :D)

One of these toys, though, she either loves or hates.
It's a little spiral rope with a bell. She'll hang from it, ringing the bell, and then suddenly RAGE out at it, screaming and slamming it around and generally throwing a fit.

Is this normal? Should I remove it?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol how is she afterwards?? and is she happy to be in her cage with it??

nut has a selection of what i call anger release toys lol that she really attacks lol and god help my fingers should i try to remove them while she is about lol

i often notice, most times she will leave them alone, but every now an again, she will play with them and then wham!!! lol

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
LOL!!! Merlin has these aggression toys too. My husband keeps telling me that "he doesnt like those toys, you should take them down, he's going to fall & hurt himself playing on those toys". I tell him maybe, but I would rather he took it out on the toys than me. Like suebee says, is he happy afterward? Merlin always seems happy, kind of a release.

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
LOL, that's what I was thinking it was, and yep, that's it. xD

She's 100% content afterward, and is even fine with it most of the time (Right now she's all over it trying to break off the apparently fascinating red bead they put on the top.)

:D I'll leave it in there for her, then! Thanks guys.

Scotty T

May 26, 2011
Parrots
Red Factor Sun Conure
Yea, don't worry.

Birds love bells and they go nuts on them. I don't think it's anger more than it is excitement.

My baby does that all the time with the bell.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Yeah Loco goes mental with bells and his ball with a bell in it. His tail feather fan too. If I hold the ball in front of him, he'll intentionally bite my fingers!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Yeah Loco goes mental with bells and his ball with a bell in it. His tail feather fan too. If I hold the ball in front of him, he'll intentionally bite my fingers!

A good point, do not approach the birdie when they are playing w/fighting toys.:p

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
My amazon loves to fight with longer hanging toys. Growls, fans, flaps. I love to watch him, but when he notices he stops, composes himself, and says, "I'm a good boy." :)

buckinggrimace

Jun 14, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Parrots
Fletcher - CAG; Butters - Duyvenbode's Lory; Iggy, Military Macaw
My CAG Fletcher does the same thing with a particular toy - he hangs upside down on it, growls and makes a ton of noise in general. He's just having a good time.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
Vids!! Pictures! I wanna see! it sounds fun. I wish I had a bird, Cherry useto do that (black capped lovebird), I braided a cat bell and bead onto a shoelace and she would fight that thing nearly every day.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
angel has a big blue bell that she goes mental at, she hangs upside down screaming at it and then regurgitates too it LOL!!

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
Just tonight I heard Bob Screaming, Yelling, and saying "Get over here" (learned by his last owner) I thought he had his foot or something stuck, scared the crap out of me! He was having a ball! I would say yours was having fun!
Gary

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
Here is Mondo playing with a toy, took about an hour to go from new to a piece of wire with a bell. Sorry for the crappy vid.
Gary

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgcQzAS9lg]YouTube - ‪Mondo Bobin & Weaving Like Rocky.MPG‬‏[/ame]

OP
sixshades

sixshades

May 19, 2011
Media
Parrots
Midori - Cinnamon GCC
Aw! :D Delightful video. I love toward the end where he holds it with his foot and shakes it. xD

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I love it! way too cute, I think I want an amazon now lol. more vids! They are just too cute.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I got a video of Loco this morning playing with his ball. I accidentally pulled it off it's normal spot so he's not going quite as crazy as usual. He also knows when I have my iPhone out, he's more interested in chewing the screen protector off (GRRRRRRRRRRR) that playing with his toys :p

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1JqRRT9Z2A]YouTube - ‪Loco attacks his ball‬‏[/ame]

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
LOL Tori has a few toys like that. There is one in particular that he LOVES! Its a bell that is encased in a green squishy ball type thing with holes all over it. He'll hang from it, smack it around and chatter up a storm while hes playing with it! There's another that's just a disco ball with a bell hanging from it but he goes to town on that bell! He does not let me touch either when hes in his cage. I have to let him out or give him a treat to occupy him while I remove them to clean/reorganize his cage.

He also knows when I have my iPhone out, he's more interested in chewing the screen protector off (GRRRRRRRRRRR) that playing with his toys :p
Tori does that to my camera! He'll go nuts on his toys but when I start recording him he does everything in his power to get to the lens and chew it.

Most Reactions