Australian King Parrots?!

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Does anyone have any information on them?

I thought they looked a bit like lories being so colorful yet sexual dimorphic differences are huge!

The more research that I do the more aware I am that this is probably not true as far as diet goes.

They have a life expectancy between 25 to 30 years, can usually speak a few words, not usually keen on attention, though can tolerate handling?

I can research them in the wild, but as far as finding information on them in captivity it's not so easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J321AZ using Tapatalk

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I believe they are pretty rare outside of Australia if I'm not mistaken. Hope someone can help you.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
He'll be here Saturday!!!! The lady gave me a run down on his care, he's between 15 - 17 years old was taken in as a rescue, and due to their work habits have to give him up.

He talks a little bit, but this may change...

I just hope he doesn't pick up on my language!!

Timmah

May 26, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Blue Quaker (Griffin)
Hey MutatedFungi, I'll tell you what I can being an Aussie myself! They're reasonably common in the wild here, and are similar in temperament/diet to Crimson Rosellas. You need a license in Australia to keep them, and because there is a wide variety of native birds we can keep without licenses (and most exotic ones too) they're not common as pet birds. My parents had a pair that used to live around their property (out in the bush here in Victoria). They were wild, but were happy enough to come down and eat scraps we left out for them. They got along fine with the local Eastern Rosellas, and seemed fine with Kookaburra's, but not Magpies (who can blame them!!) They're medium sized - I would guess around 50cm from head to tip of tail feathers.

They're not known for their talking abilities and generally hands off, but can be tamed to some degree.

These are the native birds we can keep with no license :)
Birds you don't need a licence to keep | NSW Environment & Heritage

Hope this helps a little!

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Hey MutatedFungi, I'll tell you what I can being an Aussie myself! They're reasonably common in the wild here, and are similar in temperament/diet to Crimson Rosellas. You need a license in Australia to keep them, and because there is a wide variety of native birds we can keep without licenses (and most exotic ones too) they're not common as pet birds. My parents had a pair that used to live around their property (out in the bush here in Victoria). They were wild, but were happy enough to come down and eat scraps we left out for them. They got along fine with the local Eastern Rosellas, and seemed fine with Kookaburra's, but not Magpies (who can blame them!!) They're medium sized - I would guess around 50cm from head to tip of tail feathers.

They're not known for their talking abilities and generally hands off, but can be tamed to some degree.

These are the native birds we can keep with no license :)
Birds you don't need a licence to keep | NSW Environment & Heritage

Hope this helps a little!
Are all of those natives, and do you have a spare bedroom?!

(Kidding, but lucky you!)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Similar to rosellas? So not so easily tame? I've heard rosellas referred to as better suited for aviaries, not completely amenable to typical parrot bonding with humans.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Similar to rosellas? So not so easily tame? I've heard rosellas referred to as better suited for aviaries, not completely amenable to typical parrot bonding with humans.
As have I, but from what I was told he lives for attention on his terms, outside of cage it's fair game for bonding inside is another story, may I shoot you a quick message Chris?

Timmah

May 26, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Blue Quaker (Griffin)

Yes, that's right Chris. They're happy enough to be around humans, but I wouldn't say they're particularly affectionate.

MutatedFungi, yes they are :D and I do actually hahaha. Although it may get turned into my bird room!!

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016

Yes, that's right Chris. They're happy enough to be around humans, but I wouldn't say they're particularly affectionate.

MutatedFungi, yes they are :D and I do actually hahaha. Although it may get turned into my bird room!!
With the species you have I'd take a small mattress inside a closet!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

As have I, but from what I was told he lives for attention on his terms, outside of cage it's fair game for bonding inside is another story, may I shoot you a quick message Chris?

Of course!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I'll be interested to see how you get on! I considered one when looking for Henry - they are able to be kept in NZ without a licence. They seem to be increasing in popularity as pets and our daughter is quite fond of them...

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
I'll be interested to see how you get on! I considered one when looking for Henry - they are able to be kept in NZ without a licence. They seem to be increasing in popularity as pets and our daughter is quite fond of them...
Eh with all of my spam with questions least I can do is post pictures and information, beautiful birds.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Yay! Despite being rare I have no obligation to breed and find a mate for him :)

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Three more hours until Elvis gets here!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Please remember that Elvis has no reason to trust or love you! You have to prove you can be trusted.

Basic Tool: It's never the Fault of the Parrot! It's always the fault of the Human. By always starting from this position, you will more quickly come to understand what you are doing wrong!

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016

Please remember that Elvis has no reason to trust or love you! You have to prove you can be trusted.

Basic Tool: It's never the Fault of the Parrot! It's always the fault of the Human. By always starting from this position, you will more quickly come to understand what you are doing wrong!

Unless it's food / water / cleaning related or an emergency everything will go at his pace, as far as his cage goes.

I may sit and read to him, with cage door open or something.

He will willing take treats from my hand, has already said a few words as well.
05cb4348d1f2db5b41e5aca415807bb1.jpg

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Yay congrats on getting him home :). Glad he's been good so far!

Does he talk with an Aussie accent? Hahaha :D
I wish!

He is a major attention hog so far, not in the sense that he wants to be held, he just enjoys being looked at and talked to.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
4a21eecd7eadea92c41a9dfbe1682ad5.jpg

Him and I are slowly but surely starting to bond, hands off of course as he shows no interest in wanting to come out, but he does show interest in wanting me around.

The head bobbing dance has meaning?

Most Reactions

Latest posts