Ava & Roco Blue fronted pair going through a frightening hormonal period

Elchippo

Apr 29, 2020
Between Bangor and Rossendale
Parrots
2 blue fronted amazons Ava almost 5yo female & Roco just turned 4 male
Hi,

I would appreciate any thoughts / help / suggestions as we experiencing a bit of a frightening time Ava started laying last Friday when we noticed one egg, button been able to get close to check since, Polly my partner felt the first bit on Sat when Roco jumped on her back, it frightened her as she managed to shake off her fleece before he got to grips with her, he got to grips with very quick and sly as I was placing food, and as I pulled away he still had hold of my middle finger as he came off the cage and onto the floor.
Just a few minutes ago as i chanced going in to place food they both came for me with eyes bulging, plumage blown, really squeaking like mad, as I dropped the food I said sod this I'm off!! Very frightening, not sure if I like this hormonal period at all, think I would prefer my nice friendly birds back.
If anyone could help that would be great.
Regards
Andy...:green::green:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This is what happens when you breed birds unfortunately. Most, if not all, birds get aggressive in some sort of way, even the cockatiels I breed will fiercely defend their nest and babies when I look inside.

The bigger and more intelligent the bird, usually means more hormonal, aggressive and unpredictable they will be. For this reason they should not be handled at all during breeding as they will bite to defend their mate, nest and eggs.

It's also super useful to have a cage that enables you to pull out the bowls, rather than having to reach in a cage or aviary to collect them from birds who wan to murder you. The less contact you have the safer it is for you during this time.

Is this their first clutch or attempt at breeding? Do they have a nest box? Is their cage located in a quiet place away from the hustle and bustle of normal household noise?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just how sure are you that this pair is as young as your believe? Likely their hatch dates had been listed on the CITES Document Set you received when you purchased them, right?

Separate the two prior to either of you or the Amazons being hurt. It is possible for young Amazons to experience 'some early' flow of a hormonal charge. Once separated, cover their separate cages targeting a 12 to 14 hour sleep period. With hope, they will settle a bit...

OP
E

Elchippo

Apr 29, 2020
Between Bangor and Rossendale
Parrots
2 blue fronted amazons Ava almost 5yo female & Roco just turned 4 male
The birds have the freedom to do what they want basically as they are in the conservatory with two permanently open top cages, Ava is a top flyer, Roco not sure why but does not fly, there is a nesting box, but not sure how many eggs have been laid, after the first one laid, she has changed and it's best not to even chance looking in the box, and going by the first date the first hatch should be around June 9th, we now use the free standing perch with bowls and collecting tray to feed and water them. Can't chance trying to get in the cages, although to be fair just a couple of days ago, Ava stayed in the box and we moved Roco about from cage to cage to get things out and pressure washed, dried and back in. All done with the birds in mind of course!

Most Reactions

Latest posts