Aviary vs Hand Raised Difference with Daily Life

ravencsr

Sep 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am interested in purchasing a parrot. I am interested in either a Cockatiel, IRN or an Alexandrine. My total experience with birds has been a pet shop budgie back in the early 80's as a family pet in a cage, thats it. So I have been doing some research into the life style of the birds and more importantly the owners of these birds and have a question I would like to put forward.

What I would like to know is the lifestyle difference of the owners as well as the bird between owning an aviary bird compared to owning a hand raised bird.

I have read and watched videos of the very large commitment needed - time (lifespan of the bird), money, training etc for having these birds and was wondering if it was the same if you have an aviary bird.

Does an aviary bird usually just spend its time in its enclosure with the odd outing outside if its owner chooses? Is that what it means to be an aviary bird? I am aware people taking on an aviary bird with the intention of training it to become more like a hand raised bird.

From what I can see it seems to me that there 2 types of birds - 1. the bird you have as a family member, letting it roam your house, and your lifestyle revolving around that of caring for your bird(s) and 2. the bird that is in its enclosure with its owner letting it out every now and then for a fly around the house. Is it cruel to have a bird as in option 2 even if the cage is large and the bird is well catered for in regards to stimulation(toys etc)?

Apologies if people get miffed with my ignorance about my reference to the 2nd option. I just dont know what the answer is now-a-days.

For owners that started with just an aviary bird then moved towards a more 'family orientated hand raised bird' what were the lifestyle changes that you noticed?

For a possible 20-30-40 year commitment its stuff I would like to know beforehand.

Thanks.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
An aviary bird is usually one raised by its parents from hatching in a large enclosure with minimal to hands on by a person. Usually this is done by breeders to produce more breeder birds, that will have natural instincts and be more successful in breeding and having chick's, for future breed stock , or because tgey are trying to breed for color mutation. These psrrits are basically wild . Then in tge future breeding tge breeder will pull chicjs abd raise, or assist raise to be sold in the pet trade.....
Occasionally one of tgses birds won't breed, or is aggressive to its mate, or tge breeder needs money then tgey will try to sell tge avairy birds off to the pet trade...
They often don't transition very well into being pets....

Now its great to offer a large avairy to a pet parrot, i wish I had one. That they could spend time in, but yiu would still hsve to interact with the pet parrots every day, as pet parrots are bonded to people and raised by people and sort of think of people as weird birds, or themselves as weird people. A pet parrot would not want to be alone in an avairy all the time by its self or only rarely brought inside. They would go nuts be unhappy snd likely becom untamed or wild revert.. but an avairy used for exercise and glorious outside time on a part time a few hours a day would be nice, but they crave the social bond and need tge time with their human. Hand raised parrots my never be able to accept another parrot as a substitute, tho some can ..

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
This doesn't answer your question, but have you read about all of the sources of Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFCs and how they shouldn't be heated in the same house as a bird (not even on a separate floor)? They are hidden in things like space heaters, certain light bulbs, pans/pots/cookie sheets, drip trays, air poppers, microwave popcorn bags ,toaster ovens, irons, curling irons, straighteners, air fryers, griddles, coffee makers in some cases, toasters, heavy duty foil, etc, and they are often invisible (clear coat or internal).

Also,any scented products/standard cleaning products should also be avoided.

Also, never use a self cleaning function on your oven and make sure you have no Glade Plug-ins, scented oils, perfumes, air fresheners etc.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
There are also other options in between the two choices.

Personally, I like to let my parent birds raise their own babies. I think it helps them physically and mentally, but I play with the babies daily and make sure they know that people are fun and not giant parakeet eating monsters. My babies end up as curious and friendly but with a robust immune system and mental stability. :) They know that they are birds and they are able to socialize with other birds in a healthy and normal way, but they also know people are fun to play with and spend time around. :)

Perhaps a couple of birds raised in this way would be a good fit for you? They would enjoy human company, but would be happy to spend time with each other if you are busy a lot during the day and cannot devote all your time to a bird. You do still need to give them attention and out of cage time, but the burdon of socialization doesn't all fall on you. Some birds will become less friendly if kept like this and not handled often enough, but many do well provided the human still takes the time to play with them.

OP
R

ravencsr

Sep 15, 2020
This doesn't answer your question, but have you read about all of the sources of Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFCs and how they shouldn't be heated in the same house as a bird (not even on a separate floor)? They are hidden in things like space heaters, certain light bulbs, pans/pots/cookie sheets, drip trays, air poppers, microwave popcorn bags ,toaster ovens, irons, curling irons, straighteners, air fryers, griddles, coffee makers in some cases, toasters, heavy duty foil, etc, and they are often invisible (clear coat or internal).

Also,any scented products/standard cleaning products should also be avoided.

Also, never use a self cleaning function on your oven and make sure you have no Glade Plug-ins, scented oils, perfumes, air fresheners etc.

Yes, I've read about the toxic nature of household items, not so much in depth as what you have mentioned, but I have seen info relating to non-stick and candles. Again, another thing to consider!

OP
R

ravencsr

Sep 15, 2020
I was thinking of placing a flight cage ~80Lx80Wx100H or something similar in my study 3.6m x 3m and, for the time being, restrict open cage time to this room. I spend alot of time in this study, so my actual presence in this room would be a minimum 4-6hrs a day.
I can even build a flight enclosure outside, for added stimulation.

Just thinking.....

OP
R

ravencsr

Sep 15, 2020
So....

A hand raised bird should be one that is free to come and go out of their cage to interact as much as their human owner can provide. It would be detrimental to the birds mental state to keep it caged for long periods without physical attention?

An untamed/untrained aviary raised bird put into a suitable sized 'pet flight cage' would more than likely prefer to be in its cage where it feels safe? The bird would prefer not to have any physical attention from its owner , i.e. trying to handle them?

If the above aviary bird statement is correct, then is it mean to keep an aviary bird in an enclosure if you are not intending it to breed?

May 17, 2020
I would go for a cockateil as they tend to be friendlier either way ringnecks tend to be hand shy even when hand reared and are extremely hard work so arent recommended for beginners. Also ringnecks dont have the best immune system under the age of one and any bird that has been handreared hasn't got the beneficial bacteria from his mothers crop milk so thier immune system is poor after they are prone to illness. Also they tend to be extremely nippy when younger. Alexander's I never had experience with although I have heard that they tend to be more clam and docile then ringnecks. Also both ringnecks and Alexander's scream and after a while it can get annoying and loud. As you haven't got much experience I would go with a cockateil.

I personally dont agree with hand raising birds as number 1 it doesnt get the good bacteria from its mum. And number 2 it thinks it's basically a human and this can lead to an array of problems such as thinking you are its mate and this can cause aggression and chronic egg laying in females which no one wants. It's also not right on the bird as it may attempt to mate with you bit physically cant and this will stress the bird out a lot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm not sure what yiu are looking for in keeping a parrot? Parrots are extremely social, they need something a person or parrot friend, you dont have to breed go keep avairy birds

Indian ring necks can be loud, but tgey might make a giid avairy bird. Many are rehomed because this species will revert " wild" loose their hand tameness, or if nit caref8 socialize with people as a baby never become hand tame. As a species tgey aren't into touching much.. but tgey still require tge social interaction of another if their kind. But two random burds aren't guaranteed to be freinds, tgey could fight non stop... you would hsve to research each species you are interested in

As far as breeding birds for tge pet trade im vsry much in favor of parent raised but handled , or parent assisted raising

I'm just try to understand what tge poster wants. If its a pet bird, that lives alone in an avairy and only rarely interacted with i dont think thsts a good situation fir tge parrots well being emotionally or mentally

OP
R

ravencsr

Sep 15, 2020
I'm just try to understand what tge poster wants. If its a pet bird, that lives alone in an avairy and only rarely interacted with i dont think thsts a good situation fir tge parrots well being emotionally or mentally

So to clarify, I would like to know if it is possible/acceptable/ethical to purchase an 'aviary' bird and keep it in a 'flight cage' inside (with no intention of breeding the bird) where the human interaction, i.e. hand petting, letting it roam the house etc will not be as much as if it were a hand raised bird ?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
An avairy bird is used to being outside , lots of stimulation, birds around, room to fly,

Now all that is taken away and its inside in a much smaller cage .....

Honestly that's a hard question to answer there are many variables...

Most Reactions

Latest posts