Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Hello All :)

Today kiwi and I had our first harness training session. She seemed to be eager to have the harness on and did well for the duration of our 30 min play session outside which involved exploring the trees in the garden as well as interacting with my parents. It went well and she appeared relaxed, even preening both her feathers as well as me lol. However. When I was taking the harness off and placing her in her birdhouse she was very agitated and it down on my finger with such force that it sliced the skin and drew a few drops of blood, nothing serious. Does this mean she would be uninterested in having a harness placed on her again, this was her first time and she enjoyed everything except having it removed. What should I do? Please help. Thank you very much. Pics soon.

Ps after removing the harness and placing her in her birdhouse she accepted head scratches and was her usual sweet self.

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
Being outside may have over stimulated her causing her to bite. You won't know if she will allow you to harness her again until you try. I would have a cool down period on a favorite perch before you remove the harness next time.

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Kiwi on her aviator harness.

Last edited:
OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Her favorite spot lol

Last edited:
OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
My baby at 13 weeks old and her red harness :)

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Good job, if that was the first time, your doing great. Next time, get her attention elsewhere. Carry her around, get her mind off the harness. When taking it off, offer a treat while doing it, don't let her have until your done, but distract her with a treat.

PS i'd get her off the floor where she's not comfortable. Don't let her associate the harness with keeping her on the floor.

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Dear ipolliard thank you for such a prompt response. Indeed an may have been overstulated as she has never been to that area before. Although she did seem to enjoy the overall experience. Next time I ll remove the harness prior to dusk and allow her some time to settle on her perch. Thank you very much :)

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Hello there capt :) thank you so much for your response. Yes this was our first time with the harness. I tried putting her in a tree to explore or fly around but she flew to the floor and seemed more interested in walking there or being perched on my shoulder which she loves doing. I hope I haven't created a negative experience for her with the removal of the harness but we will try again tomorrow. I hope she's alright. Thank you.

OP
P

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES