Aviator harness question

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Hi everyone. Awhile ago I got the aviator harness for my conure. It now to cold and snowing outside for. So I was wondering if you have any tricks to help him accept being put in the aviator harness. He is target trained but he just isn’t loving it. Thanks !

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Go slow, be patient, use treats (and I mean-a LOT of treats) and plenty of positive reinforcement. Some birds just don't take to the harness. If this is the case, you can keep trying, but you can also just take him out in a carrier.
This process can take MONTHS so the most important thing is don't give up.

OP
Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Go slow, be patient, use treats (and I mean-a LOT of treats) and plenty of positive reinforcement. Some birds just don't take to the harness. If this is the case, you can keep trying, but you can also just take him out in a carrier.
This process can take MONTHS so the most important thing is don't give up.
I agree thank you for the reply

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Harness training. One of, if not the most, difficult things to teach a parrot. It took me literally a year of every night training sessions to get Salty to accept putting it on. And even then, 5 years later, we still put it partially on at least 3-4 times a week. Go SLOWLY is the best advice, like Foxy said.
Here is a video from early on in Salty's training. We do this all the time with him, so putting it all the way on is not a big deal. It help enormously if your parrot allows you to handle them, touching and expanding wings and such, so practice that too.

Most Reactions