Aziza, my captivity born-and-raised Congo African Grey parrot pecks holes in her cage cover when I cover her for the night. I wonder why.

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Aziza, my captivity-born-and-raised, almost 13 year old Congo African Grey Parrot, who I purchased from a very reputable pet store south of Boston likes to peck holes in her cage covers. I wonder why. I have to cover her at night, first because it's better for her, it's better for me, and it's better for my neighbors, especially since I live in an apartment building.

Aziza's a great bird, however, and, when my old cage for her began having a lot of problems, I purchased a new cage for her, which she's adjusting to but it takes time. I'm glad of it. It's taking time for Aziza to adjust to her new cage, but she's gradually getting adjusted to it. The new cage is also a playtop cage, with a different kind of a playtop, and both the playtop and the cage itself have trays. In the morning, after uncovering Aziza (the cover is a wrap around the perimeter of the cage type of cover, I remove the playtop tray on top of the cage so that Aziza will get more light during the day. When I cover Aziza at night, I put the playtop tray back on top of the cage, so that it'll be darker for her, and enable Aziza to sleep. I've got a black quilt wrap around cage cover with Aziza's name embroidered in front in yellow-gold thread, that I'm presently using for the winter, and the same kind of a wrap-around cage cover in black twill for the spring, summer and fall.

Anyway, she's gone to sleep. I'll see her again in the morning.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is not uncommon for Parrots to chew at covers and cloth objects in general. Keep a close eye on threads and it is best to cut them when they develop as to assure they are not ingested.

Enjoy!!

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
It is not uncommon for Parrots to chew at covers and cloth objects in general. Keep a close eye on threads and it is best to cut them when they develop as to assure they are not ingested.

Enjoy!!
Hi, SailBoat. Thank you very much for your support and your advice. Sounds like a sensible idea. Will do. Thanks again.

Most Reactions