Aziza, my pet Congo African Grey Parrot: The Homecoming and Beyond:

miki

Jun 26, 2014
I still remember the days leading up to purchasing Aziza, my now 12 year old pet female African Grey Parrot, almost 12 years ago. When my Noble Macaw, McGee, passed on 2 months shy of his 20th birthday, back in early February 2010, I knew that I wanted another exotic bird, but didn't know what kind. So, I did some research, and took periodic trips down to Bird & Reptile Connection, a reputable pet store owned by a knowledgeable legal breeder, with a knowledgeable staff who work under her.

I looked at some exotic birds, including a Goffin's Cockatoo, who I got along famously with. At first, I decided on the Goffins Cockatoo, but, not withstanding that the Goffins Cockatoo seemed too jumpy and too hyper, I began to have second thoughts. I did some research, and after reading some rather frightful stuff about Cockatoos, in general, I decided on the African Grey Parrot. I was set on purchasing a Timneh African Grey Parrot, which was two hundred dollars cheaper than the Congo African Grey parrot, and the Timnehs were scheduled to arrive sometime in April of 2010.

Shortly before the Timneh African Grey parrots were due to arrive in the pet store, however, the owner of Bird & Reptile Connection received and forwarded me an email from the breeder down in Florida which stated that the baby Timnehs that were due to arrive in the store had been killed by the parents, and nobody knew why that happened. The owner of the pet store said that she and her husband were going out to Albany, NY, to pick up 2 Congo African Grey parrots from some friends of theirs, and that she could sell me one of the Congo African Grey parrots for the price of the Timneh African Grey. I immediately took the owner of Bird and Reptile Connection up on it, and was told they would arrive on Saturday, April 10th.

Saturday, April 10th, 2010, was the big day. I drove down to Bird & Reptile Connection to visit the two Congo African Grey Parrots. The smaller Congo African Grey Parrot immediately climbed up onto my shirt, and both the owner of the store and I knew that there was an immediate connection between us. I purchased the african grey parrot right there, and put a 50% deposit on the cage, after choosing the cage and the color.

I then began the bonding process with Aziza by driving down to visit her every 2-3 days. We became friends very quickly. I then made an appointment with Angel Memorial Animal Hospital to have her vet-checked, and got an appointment right away.

Not that long afterwards, the owner of the pet store and her husband delivered the cage to my house, and helped me set it up. Shortly afterwards, I brought Aziza home. I requested that to have the staff people send a sample of her blood out to a Laboratory in San Diego, CA which specialized in that sort of gender-testing of pets, and, about a week and a half later, I received an email back---I had a little girl for a parrot. I emailed my sister to let her know of the bird's gender, and she emailed me several names that seemed the most fitting. I picked the name Aziza for my new pet and companion, and my sister agreed to that, since it was the most fitting for an African Grey Parrot. She knows the Jet gang whistle to 'West Side Story", which she does frequently, as well.

Although I've missed having friends over for parties to celebrate Aziza's birthday every year, I've still managed to have lots of fun with her.. Since the pandemic started, and the Tae Kwon Do dojang (studio) that I attend shut down and began offering online virtual classes on zoom.us, I decided to join the online virtual TKD classes that the dojang offered, and, like lots of other people, began taking the online virtual Tae Kwon Do classes at home, in my living room, after I'd had two of the maintenance men in our building move my couch and coffee table to the other side of my living room to have more space for my online TKD classes. I then set down TKD mats in my living room. Since TKD is a Korean Martial Art that's similar to Karate and involves lots of kicking and punching, Aziza has also become a good imitator of my ky-ups,, and enjoys watching me take online virtual classes and imitating the shouts and kyups that I utter during these classes. Since the dojang has begun offering in-person classes as well as online classes, I've been going to both classes at home and in person at the dojang, as well.

Having said all of the above, I still love and cherish Aziza as a fantastic pet and companion, after 12 years, and will continue to do so.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks for sharing. I loved reading this. Pictures of Aziza are always welcome.
Actually, I’m begging for photos of her.

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for sharing. I loved reading this. Pictures of Aziza are always welcome.
Actually, I’m begging for photos of her.
You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed reading about Aziza. She's very special to me, and she never fails to elicit laughs. Since African Grey Parrots are whistlers by nature, Aziza does whistle a great deal, and it's a riot to hear. I have to try to figure out how to upload good photos of Aziza, but I hope to post some pics of Aziza on your board....occasionally. I do have some photos of her when she was a year old that I could send. I have to figure out how to do it.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed reading about Aziza. She's very special to me, and she never fails to elicit laughs. Since African Grey Parrots are whistlers by nature, Aziza does whistle a great deal, and it's a riot to hear. I have to try to figure out how to upload good photos of Aziza, but I hope to post some pics of Aziza on your board....occasionally. I do have some photos of her when she was a year old that I could send. I have to figure out how to do it.
Here's a tutorial that might help you to post some photos ...

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your special girl too :)

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Hi, everybody! Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll try to post some photos of Aziza. The photos are from when she was just a baby, but she was full-grown by the time these pics were taken.

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
1646498290295.jpeg
1646498290295.jpeg

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Hi there. Above are a couple of photographs of my pet Congo African Grey Parrot, Aziza, when she was just a baby, less than a year old. She's now twelve years old, as of the first of February 2022. Hope I've been of some help here. Thank you for the link.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
You're most welcome, miki! Aziza is every bit as beautiful as I thought she'd be ❤️

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Here's a tutorial that might help you to post some photos ...

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your special girl too :)
You're most welcome, miki! Aziza is every bit as beautiful as I thought she'd be ❤️
Thank you very much for your support, and your compliment about Aziza. She's chirping and whistling, and talking right now. She's great!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you very much for your support, and your compliment about Aziza. She's chirping and whistling, and talking right now. She's great!
Oh well in that case, you might also like to upload a video...

...and enter it into this months Photo Of The Month Contest. It would fit this month's theme of "You're The Voice" perfectly, just sayin' ;)

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014

...and enter it into this months Photo Of The Month Contest. It would fit this month's theme of "You're The Voice" perfectly, just sayin' ;)

Thank you for your suggestion, but, unfortunately, I don't know how to make videos, much less upload them.

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014

Wow!! What an interesting-looking parrot! Thank you for posting it.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you for your suggestion, but, unfortunately, I don't know how to make videos, much less upload them.
Oh don't let that put you off! The contest is open for still pictures too :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Aww look at those dark, dark baby eyes, full of wonder still. She is beautiful!

OP
M

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Aww look at those dark, dark baby eyes, full of wonder still. She is beautiful!
Thank you, wrench13. She is beautiful. Now that she's older, however, Azizas eyes are yellow. The African Grey parrots' eyes turn either yellow or silvery, depending on whether they're a Congo African 'Grey parrot, or a Timneh African Grey parrot.

Since Aziza is a Congo African Grey Parrot, her eyes are now yellow.

Most Reactions

Latest posts