B&G Macaw Feather and down loss

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi all,
I am new to the forum and we didn't have experience having the big bird.
So 3 weeks ago we got a Blue and Gold Macaw. First 2 weeks were very stressful for the bird, however we did all our best for her to feel welcomed in new home and family :).
Since that got her on a healthy diet (we think!) - thanks to this forum!! So we balance veggies, lentils/beans, grains and seeds.
Previous owner said she never flied, however since last week we started training her to fly as she shown a HUGE passion for it!
5 days ago we noticed small pieces of down/fluff at the room she sleeps and since then she has 2-3 feathers lost every day.
We concerned that maybe the change of diet, because previous owner fed seeds mix only OR that is probably the stress or something else. If that is normal, let it be, But... why we didn't have feathers loss on the first 2 weeks?
I attached bird photo, feathers and vane split on the tail feather
Please suggest, any recommendations are highly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo_2022-01-13 19.41.49.jpeg
    photo_2022-01-13 19.41.49.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 68
  • photo_2022-01-13 19.41.56.jpeg
    photo_2022-01-13 19.41.56.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 71
  • photo_2022-01-13 19.42.04.jpeg
    photo_2022-01-13 19.42.04.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 65
  • photo_2022-01-13 19.42.11.jpeg
    photo_2022-01-13 19.42.11.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 2022-01-13 19.43.52.jpg
    2022-01-13 19.43.52.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 2022-01-13 19.44.23.jpg
    2022-01-13 19.44.23.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 77

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi
Hopefully just feather replacement.

Tho I see the feather barbering.. needs more things to chew and destroy, lots! Make some that are easy to chew up, like yucca chips and those bird bagels that look like tape rolls. And some that are harder like coconut, wood ect. I recommend five in cage and a few out if cage were hangs out. I have a plucker, it helps a bunch if she has stuff to pick at

Get her foraging

OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
hi thanks
Hi
Hopefully just feather replacement.

Tho I see the feather barbering.. needs more things to chew and destroy, lots! Make some that are easy to chew up, like yucca chips and those bird bagels that look like tape rolls. And some that are harder like coconut, wood ect. I recommend five in cage and a few out if cage were hangs out. I have a plucker, it helps a bunch if she has stuff to pick at

Get her foraging
thanks for reply, we have foraging and chewing toys, we will get more get her busy. Yesterday she was itching and I saw it just few fluffs and 1 small feather fall down. So she didn't pluck those.

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
To me it looks like molting has begun.... My bird has been molting for a few weeks now and will lose a feather or two a day. See if he has little spikes popping up (they look like little toothpicks)- that will be new feathers. Most birds molt once a year. These cute little soft downy feathers will seem to explode from your bird’s body requiring lots of vacuuming. When your pet bird is undergoing molting, you will mostly notice some change in your bird’s personality. … Your bird looks tired and is always sleepy. During the molt, offer more protein and avoid unnecessary stress. The molt is hard on their system as they will begin to replace a LOT of feathers. I personally use a product called "KETON-BIOTIN promotes feather growth". I use this with the OK from my Vet. I hope this helps you can buy it on Amazon - Like I said in the beginning - It's just my personal opinion. Congrats on getting your new baby! Find a Vet that specializes in Birds (Avian Vet). Have your sweetie a check-up and take a list of questions with you!!! Your Bird is a Beauty!
I have attached a few pics to show you what it looks like so you don't panic- If you look at the pic nose you will see just above his beak where there is a bunch of "pins" coming in., and his belly pic shows all the feathers he has lost and of course where he has a bare spot from plucking. FeathersLost photo shows all his wing feathers he has lost and the fluff underneath. It's a 2-to-3-month process for my baby I don't know the time length for your macaw. BUT-Having birds is wonderful- Wonderful- WONDERFUL !!!

nose.jpgbelly.jpgfeatherslost.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts