Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
Hi all
I have 3 babies has anyone any feeding tips
They are 5 weeks today, whenā€™s the best time to start weaning them, and how.
Iā€™m just getting up to feed them 1am we mixed the times up yesterday and started a bit late on the first feed.
They are having 3.5 teaspoons of kaytee mixed to like gravy consistency I stop when the crop is bulging not to much.
Every few days Iā€™ve started giving them a bit of manuka honey and water.
Iā€™m reading up on weaning but havenā€™t found much yet
Many thanks

Mick
Sheffield
UK

MrLaurieKeats

Jan 4, 2019
Media
Albums
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Fang the cockatiel, Valentino the budgie (aka Fangā€™s wingman)
Iā€™m sorry your post seems to have been missed. Just bumping it back up to the front of the queue for you. Best of luck with those babies!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Why are you offering honey to them? I wouldn't offer honey to a baby of ANY species.

OP
Mickhunt

Mickhunt

Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
After spending days searching I came across this I have asked if this is ok but I didnā€™t find this forum first
If this is wrong I will stop I have only given it to them once.
I did know that honey had a few benefits thatā€™s why I thought it was one of the things done .
A simple donā€™t do it would be a better answere or why I shouldnā€™t
But thanks for letting me know
Mick

OP
Mickhunt

Mickhunt

Dec 12, 2020
Media
Albums
UK
Parrots
Alexandrine
I have had a problem getting the baby food delivered can I use egg food for 6 week old babies until it arrives or what would be better for them
Mick

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Hi Mick...I've read your intro and have been following this thread hoping that someone would pop in to assist. It sounds as if the babies may have ?surprised you and this is your first time with babies. Having no experience breeding myself I just found a couple of articles suggesting weaning to be around the 10 week mark for these little treasures. Here are the articles and I do hope someone 'learned' comes to your assistance soon. Welcome aboard and all the best.

https://parrotquaker.com/alexandrine-parakeets-as-pets-ultimate-guide/

https://hari.ca/avian-care/bird-hea...rofiles/species-profile-alexandrine-parakeet/

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I didn't mean any disrespect! Sorry if it came across that way! I was genuinely asking if you had a reason for it, and stating that I personally wouldn't do it.

Here is a thread loaded with LOTS of good info. :) Again, sorry if I came off the wrong way; was not my intention at all.

http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

It is long but has so much great info, a perfect place to start.

Did you breed these babies or buy them from a breeder? Has anyone in person showed you how to hand feed? It is hard to learn that skill if you don't have a mentor, but it can be done if you are dedicated to learning. Sounds like you are off to a good start though.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

Most Reactions