BABY BIRD WANTS TO SURVIVE

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
I just found a tiny baby bird who fell from his nest. The nest is not at sight, the parents were flying around, but the baby was unable to even put on his feet. How can I help him survive? Should I feed him water mixed with honey, baby food, raw egg whites? At this point he seems to be able to drink only, though he is fully covered with feathers. He is not a parrot. Should I take him to the rescue and rehab center for birds ASAP ?

BIRD1.jpg
BIRD2.jpg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
First, try very hard to find the nest. If the parents are around the nest must be near and it’s always, always, better to get the baby back to its parents. If you truly cannot locate the nest ( and I know it’s often not easy to do so) then I would suggest taking the bird to a rehabber who has experience with baby birds. In a pinch, wet dog food can be fed for a couple of meals if the baby really needs to eat right away. Good luck and thanks for caring ❤️

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
It looks like maybe a Sparrow? I once found a mourning dove that got kicked out of his nest, she was different from all birds. we fed him parrot formula, and she stayed with us for 2 years... but yes, try to find the nest, if not maybe take him to a rehab if you feel like you can't keep him...

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
It looks like maybe a Sparrow? I once found a mourning dove that got kicked out of his nest, she was different from all birds. we fed him parrot formula, and she stayed with us for 2 years... but yes, try to find the nest, if not maybe take him to a rehab if you feel like you can't keep him...
What do you mean by "She stayed with us for 2 years" ? Did you keep her captive, or she came and went at will, visiting you from time to time ?

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
no, she came and went on her own free will, every day we would let her inside, she would just walk inside, and then she would wait patiently at the back door till when she wanted to go outside again, and we would open it for her. she would watch tv with us inside the house... i miss her...😭

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
no, she came and went on her own free will, every day we would let her inside, she would just walk inside, and then she would wait patiently at the back door till when she wanted to go outside again, and we would open it for her. she would watch tv with us inside the house... i miss her...😭
That's a nice story. I've heard similar ones before. Well, I've been feeding this bird with Nestum cereal + honey for 3 days, and he seems to be ok. Maybe we'll become friends too.

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
oh i hope so! it is always fun to look forward for your feathered friend flying to you every day😁

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
oh i hope so! it is always fun to look forward for your feathered friend flying to you every day😁
Do you remember the parrot formula name you fed your bird with ? I need to see the protein rate it comes with. I think I must add some protein to my bird's food, so he can grow properly. Maybe egg

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Mealworms are great protein for wild birds. You can buy dried ones and rehydrate them in a little warm water before you feed them to the baby. Eggs are good but they don’t have enough protein by themselves. I successfully raised a pair of chimney swifts on mealworms and dog food.

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
Mealworms are great protein for wild birds. You can buy dried ones and rehydrate them in a little warm water before you feed them to the baby. Eggs are good but they don’t have enough protein by themselves. I successfully raised a pair of chimney swifts on mealworms and dog food.
Do you mean this mealworms ?

Did you crashed them with water, or feed them as they come ?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Do you mean this mealworms ?

Did you crashed them with water, or feed them as they come ?
Yes, those ones! For the Swifts that I raised, I broke each mealworm into two or three pieces and let them soak in water for maybe 5 minutes just to soften them a little.

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
I've been feeding him this mash made of Nestum + eggs, and now there is a crust around his beak. How can I remove it without hurting him ?

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
Do you know if baby birds need a little sunlight every day ?

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
Do you remember the parrot formula name you fed your bird with ? I need to see the protein rate it comes with. I think I must add some protein to my bird's food, so he can grow properly. Maybe egg
hmmm...... that was like four years ago.... i remember it was a powder that was in a white jar, and it was from PetSmart. i just looked on their website, and i don't see anything similar... sorry

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I've been feeding him this mash made of Nestum + eggs, and now there is a crust around his beak. How can I remove it without hurting him ?
Just wipe it gently with a damp warm rag. It might take a few minutes but it will soften and come off. You may want wipe his beak after each feeding to prevent buildup.

OP
N

nelpastel

Dec 10, 2022
Parrots
parakeet
Just wipe it gently with a damp warm rag. It might take a few minutes but it will soften and come off. You may want wipe his beak after each feeding to prevent buildup.
THANK YOU

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
I found a mourning dove who had an injured wing. I put it in a cage, gave it food and water for several weeks. I took it outside for fresh air and time in the grass and it flew away! It was awesome 👌

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
I found a mourning dove who had an injured wing. I put it in a cage, gave it food and water for several weeks. I took it outside for fresh air and time in the grass and it flew away! It was awesome 👌
wonderful that you saved her!💗

Most Reactions

Latest posts