Baby budgie day 2!

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Itty bitty budgie weighs just 1 gram today. Not chirping as frequently, and sleeping more. Yesterday was a big day! Still looks more like a tiny dino than a budgie, but momma bird recognizes him as her own.

Cleaned the nest box today. Changed the bedding and added a second silicone mat so the floor of the nest remains safe for budgies developing legs, a little softer, and easy to clean now that baby birds will be messing their nest. Pretty sure I found a tiny bird poop- mostly pee as it was white in color- about the size of a pencil tip. Good signs!

Still waiting for baby bird to have a sibling hatch. Any time now! Should be this one that hatches next. Very exciting, but nerve wracking too! Just hope theyā€™re happy and healthy little ones!

Blessings!
Laura

Attachments

• 40BD9579-2E4C-4C8C-8BB9-E1F896A4143C.jpeg
    40BD9579-2E4C-4C8C-8BB9-E1F896A4143C.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 47
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    4.3 MB
Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Itty bitty budgie weighs just 1 gram today. Not chirping as frequently, and sleeping more. Yesterday was a big day! Still looks more like a tiny dino than a budgie, but momma bird recognizes him as her own.

Cleaned the nest box today. Changed the bedding and added a second silicone mat so the floor of the nest remains safe for budgies developing legs, a little softer, and easy to clean now that baby birds will be messing their nest. Pretty sure I found a tiny bird poop- mostly pee as it was white in color- about the size of a pencil tip. Good signs!

Still waiting for baby bird to have a sibling hatch. Any time now! Should be this one that hatches next. Very exciting, but nerve wracking too! Just hope theyā€™re happy and healthy little ones!

Blessings!
Laura
Im worried. Is mama feeding him enough? He shouldn't be losing weight. I would feed him before he gets too weak.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Im worried. Is mama feeding him enough? He shouldn't be losing weight. I would feed him before he gets too weak.
Rocky fed vigorously and got stronger and louder every day. Mama is probably inexperienced and could use help or baby could die. Even if you have to crush and moisten some pellets and heat them. Measure temp carefully before feeding with a spoon.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think heā€™s so small you might need to feed with a tiny spoon or even a flat wooden coffee stirrer. But remember heā€™s still got some yolk sac to absorb for a couple of days post hatch. (Itā€™s inside his tummy.)

I have not handfed babies but have raised Gouldian finches, zebra finches, and a clutch of cockatiels. They are so amazingly tiny!

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I am concerned too, although Iā€™ve read it isnā€™t unusual for weight to fluctuate day to day. Baby humans do this as well, itā€™s about watching trends.

If I feed formula, will momma bird stop feeding him?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I am concerned too, although Iā€™ve read it isnā€™t unusual for weight to fluctuate day to day. Baby humans do this as well, itā€™s about watching trends.

If I feed formula, will momma bird stop feeding him?
I just had fed a baby budgie from the egg because mama couldn't Vinci are and raise Rocky. From 8 hours old (vet told me to wait that long but no longer) he ate every two hours (first week). His crop filled quickly ever time. When he hatched his crop was obviously empty. Except for hatch day, I weighed Rocky after his 6am morning feeding with a full crop every two days and he did not lose weight once. He weighed 2 grams at hatching. If baby is quieter and sleeping more and has lost wight AND his crop is not full he is probably getting very week from dehydration and starvation. He is at risk and could die if he isn't fed well soon. Lots of first time Mamas aren't sure what to do yet. She shouldn't reject him if he's hand fed and put right back.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I just had fed a baby budgie from the egg because mama couldn't Vinci are and raise Rocky. From 8 hours old (vet told me to wait that long but no longer) he ate every two hours (first week). His crop filled quickly ever time. When he hatched his crop was obviously empty. Except for hatch day, I weighed Rocky after his 6am morning feeding with a full crop every two days and he did not lose weight once. He weighed 2 grams at hatching. If baby is quieter and sleeping more and has lost wight AND his crop is not full he is probably getting very week from dehydration and starvation. He is at risk and could die if he isn't fed well soon. Lots of first time Mamas aren't sure what to do yet. She shouldn't reject him if he's hand fed and put right back.
Typo- delete Vince to the period.

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Thank you!!! We lost baby budgie. šŸ„¹ Twila had moved him aside yesterday evening, so I was especially concerned. His crop was full, but I was about to formula feed him and he wasnā€™t breathing. He was constantly moving and chirping on day one, much less so yesterday. Are both of those concerning? Maybe he wasnā€™t getting the nutrition he needed, or maybe he wasnā€™t healthy to begin with. The eggs took too long to hatch. Sheā€™s basically laid a second brood.

Going forward, I will have to leave the babies alone. Maybe it is upsetting to momma bird when I intervene, and opening the nest box allows cooler air inside. I am afraid it wasnā€™t a good idea to take baby out of the box at all.

Starting to think that old wives tale about not touching a baby bird or momma will reject baby may have some truth to it. Yet a raptor center rep here has said thatā€™s not true (when asked years agoā€¦) although the birds that are rescued and brought there are wild and have probably either fallen from their nest, and/or sick/injured. May be time to give them a call ā€¦

Thanks for your help. I wish I had better news. Twila laid yet another egg last night.

Laura

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you!!! We lost baby budgie. šŸ„¹ Twila had moved him aside yesterday evening, so I was especially concerned. His crop was full, but I was about to formula feed him and he wasnā€™t breathing. He was constantly moving and chirping on day one, much less so yesterday. Are both of those concerning? Maybe he wasnā€™t getting the nutrition he needed, or maybe he wasnā€™t healthy to begin with. The eggs took too long to hatch. Sheā€™s basically laid a second brood.

Going forward, I will have to leave the babies alone. Maybe it is upsetting to momma bird when I intervene, and opening the nest box allows cooler air inside. I am afraid it wasnā€™t a good idea to take baby out of the box at all.

Starting to think that old wives tale about not touching a baby bird or momma will reject baby may have some truth to it. Yet a raptor center rep here has said thatā€™s not true (when asked years agoā€¦) although the birds that are rescued and brought there are wild and have probably either fallen from their nest, and/or sick/injured. May be time to give them a call ā€¦

Thanks for your help. I wish I had better news. Twila laid yet another egg last night.

Laura
I'm so sorry for your loss! You did nothing wrong. Mama may have gotten upset from your handling him. I think its smart to leave her be with her babies especially be once this sounds like her first time raising chicks. Don't clean her nest box while the babies are less than a few weeks old. That may have upset her too.
If you NEED to handfeed a baby budgie yourself in the future (I only did it because it I had to, or throw the fertile egg out) you need to start with a quality incubator to make sure the temperature is correct and start handfeeding about 8 hours after hatching and feed every two hours. If your Mama bird's babies keep dying within a few days of hatching, and the alternative is to keep losing chicks you may want to consider taking one out right after it hatches and raise it yourself. Its not difficult to do. You just need a good incubator (not a heating pad or light bulb), good hand feeding formula, a little spoon, a digital thermometer, LOTS of time committed to hand feeding round the clock, especially for the first two weeks, and someone to advise you like an avian vet. I read everything I could get my hands on before I did it.
My thoughts are with you and your poor stressed Mama bird. She certainly has a lot going on with all those eggs and babies coming. If you would like to talk to me let me know and perhaps the moderators could provide you with my phone number. Best wishes.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Laura
Re reading I see that you say baby's crop was full before he died and that Mama had pushed him aside. A full crop looks pretty bizarre! Looks like an inflated balloon right under baby's chin down to his upper breast and you can see the food inside it. If his crop was nice and full she must have fed him well but perhaps the baby got too cold after mama had fed him because she has so many eggs to sit on and its difficult for her to keep baby and the eggs all warm. If a baby's body temperature drops too low he will stop breathing and die. My guess is that's what happened. It takes a bit of strength to hatch so he was likely fine when he hatched. I hope she feeds and broods the next hatchling more consistently. Hoping and praying!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Laura
How are you, Twila, and her eggs doing? I feel so sad that her baby died. You must be very stressed out. Please keep me updated.

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Any updates?
Thank you. Yes, it was very sad. Sunday I thought wow Twila looks tired, and in the evening sheā€™d separated baby from the eggs. Could she have been depressed? Maybe that first little guy wasnā€™t healthy.

The good news is that yesterday morning- February 1st- baby #2 hatched. I have resisted my urges to intervene whatsoever, Iā€™m totally hands off. Iā€™m allowing myself to peek at the little peeper twice daily, and only for a moment. Opening the lid to the nest box allows cooler room air in, and the box is warmed. Besides, Twila knows what sheā€™s doing.

This evening, baby bird was clearly big and healthy looking!!! He had a big belly and full crop. His skin looked taut, unlike the first baby. Poor little thing must have been dehydrated, maybe he wasnā€™t really eating as he should have been. His full crop wasnā€™t nearly as full as the one I saw this evening. This little one - itā€™s so exciting- although Iā€™m cautiously optimisticā€¦ I donā€™t want to ā€˜count my chickens before they hatchā€™ā€¦ I hope this one survives!

So now Twila is sitting on 8 eggs, and caring for a precious little baby. Little baby is little, for sure, but not the little little that was the first one.

Twila has all the food available to her that she needs, but still prefers to eat from my hand at regular mealtimes. When she peeks out of the nest box, I bring her millet. Sheā€™s very sweet just peeking her head out- even after bedtime- to look around. Unless she prefers to stand on the perch at the entrance or go for a little fly around, which sheā€™s free to do, but it seems sheā€™s come to depend on me to bring food and treats to her. Sheā€™s got a banquet of food, cuttlebone, mineral block, nearby for when I am not home.

I havenā€™t figured out the time intervals yet for how frequently I hear baby chirping. Itā€™s frequent, and it seems to occur in sessions. A little chirping, then quiet, a few minutes later more chirping, then quiet. That lasts about 5-10 minutes, then quiet for a while. (Half hour? Hour?) Itā€™s 9:30, there are no lights on, and Twila is presumably feeding her little one now. šŸ„° So late, little one!

I wonder, if all goes well and babies are ready for adoption- when would be the kindest time for Twila and the babies to separate them? Will Twila get depressed when theyā€™re gone? The loss of the first baby was šŸ’” heartbreaking, but now we have new life again!

Not sure how people can handle this regularly! Itā€™s an emotional rollercoaster!

Thank you for your concern, and wisdom. Much appreciated. I still have more phone calls to make, and am so grateful for the people that have shared advice.

Blessings!
Laura

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you. Yes, it was very sad. Sunday I thought wow Twila looks tired, and in the evening sheā€™d separated baby from the eggs. Could she have been depressed? Maybe that first little guy wasnā€™t healthy.

The good news is that yesterday morning- February 1st- baby #2 hatched. I have resisted my urges to intervene whatsoever, Iā€™m totally hands off. Iā€™m allowing myself to peek at the little peeper twice daily, and only for a moment. Opening the lid to the nest box allows cooler room air in, and the box is warmed. Besides, Twila knows what sheā€™s doing.

This evening, baby bird was clearly big and healthy looking!!! He had a big belly and full crop. His skin looked taut, unlike the first baby. Poor little thing must have been dehydrated, maybe he wasnā€™t really eating as he should have been. His full crop wasnā€™t nearly as full as the one I saw this evening. This little one - itā€™s so exciting- but Iā€™m cautiously optimisticā€¦ I donā€™t want to ā€˜count my chickens before they hatchā€™.

So now Twila is sitting on 8 eggs, and caring for a precious little baby. Little baby is little, for sure, but not the little little that was the first one.

Twila has all the food available to her that she needs, but still prefers to eat from my hand at regular mealtimes. When she peeks out of the nest box, I bring her millet. Sheā€™s very sweet just peeking her head out- even after bedtime- to look around. Unless she prefers to stand on the perch at the entrance or go for a little fly around, which sheā€™s free to do, but it seems sheā€™s come to depend on me to bring food and treats to her. Sheā€™s got a banquet of food, cuttlebone, mineral block, nearby for when I am not home.

I havenā€™t figured out the time intervals yet for how frequently I hear baby chirping. Itā€™s frequent, and it seems to occur in sessions. A little chirping, then quiet, a few minutes later more chirping, then quiet. That lasts about 5-10 minutes, then quiet for a while. (Half hour? Hour?) Itā€™s 9:30, there are no lights on, and Twila is presumably feeding her little one now. šŸ„° So late, little one!

I wonder, if all goes well and babies are ready for adoption- when would be the kindest time for Twila and the babies to separate them? Will Twila get depressed when theyā€™re gone? The loss of the first baby was šŸ’” heartbreaking, but now we have new life again!

Not sure how people can handle this regularly! Itā€™s an emotional rollercoaster!

Thank you for your concern, and wisdom. Much appreciated. I still have more phone calls to make, but am grateful for the resources that have shared advice.

Blessings!
Laura
I am THRILLED for you and Twila! Whatever went wrong with baby#1 isn't appearing to happen again. I had all intentions of letting Rocky's Mama incubate and raise him but I had to intervene. You're absolutely spot on about the baby budgie rollercoaster ride- its exhausting! You never mention the baby daddy and whether he is feeding Twila. I hope so because feeding a nest full of chicks is very hard on a single mother.
What I thought was strange about baby budgie chirping is that Rocky could chirp and swallow at the same time! We all know what happens when we try to talk and eat at the same time but apparently a budgie's anatomy allows them to do that without choking. I noticed that during the first 10 days Rocky slept unless he was hungry and feeding, and that's the only time he was quiet. After his eyes and ears opened completely at around 10 days he slowly began to take an interest in his surroundings and would sleep a bit less between meals.
Regarding when to take the babies from Mama to tame them, most breeders that want tame babies take them at about three weeks when they have lots of feathers and don't need Mama to keep them warm. Then the breeder hand feeds them for a few more weeks. Hand feeding at three weeks is much easier than hand feeding a new hatchling. Weaning begins slowly at around five weeks and by seven weeks they should be completely weaned. Rocky weaned easily at six and a half weeks. When he was four weeks old I began to mix Harrison's high potency super fine granules into his formula to get him used to the taste and texture. He loved these granules and they are about 40% of his diet today at almost three months old.

Good Luck to you and Twila and enjoy watching your new Grandbirds hatch, grow, and thrive!

OP
HowdyDoDee

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I am THRILLED for you and Twila! Whatever went wrong with baby#1 isn't appearing to happen again. I had all intentions of letting Rocky's Mama incubate and raise him but I had to intervene. You're absolutely spot on about the baby budgie rollercoaster ride- its exhausting! You never mention the baby daddy and whether he is feeding Twila. I hope so because feeding a nest full of chicks is very hard on a single mother.
What I thought was strange about baby budgie chirping is that Rocky could chirp and swallow at the same time! We all know what happens when we try to talk and eat at the same time but apparently a budgie's anatomy allows them to do that without choking. I noticed that during the first 10 days Rocky slept unless he was hungry and feeding, and that's the only time he was quiet. After his eyes and ears opened completely at around 10 days he slowly began to take an interest in his surroundings and would sleep a bit less between meals.
Regarding when to take the babies from Mama to tame them, most breeders that want tame babies take them at about three weeks when they have lots of feathers and don't need Mama to keep them warm. Then the breeder hand feeds them for a few more weeks. Hand feeding at three weeks is much easier than hand feeding a new hatchling. Weaning begins slowly at around five weeks and by seven weeks they should be completely weaned. Rocky weaned easily at six and a half weeks. When he was four weeks old I began to mix Harrison's high potency super fine granules into his formula to get him used to the taste and texture. He loved these granules and they are about 40% of his diet today at almost three months old.

Good Luck to you and Twila and enjoy watching your new Grandbirds hatch, grow, and thrive!
Thank you!!!
Twila rarely lets Toby feed her, I guess she leaves that to me. Maybe because I offer her millet and seed, while Toby only has stuff to regurgitate for her? I donā€™t know, but that doesnā€™t stop Toby from trying. He spends a lot of time near her, and perched at the entrance to the nest box.

When do I need to be concerned about splayed legs? Baby sleeps either on his belly or back. When heā€™s on his belly, Iā€™m concerned about splayed legs. Heā€™s definitely getting a good amount of nutrition. His crop is full more often than not. Heā€™s four days old now. Yes, heā€™s spending his days sleeping and eating, and heā€™s eating before dawn and after dark.

Sweet little little! (I often call my birds littles, so it only makes sense to call the babes little littles!)

These photos are babyā€™s first photos. I didnā€™t dare open the lid on the nest box long enough to take photos earlier. Twila was happily eating millet perched on my finger during babyā€™s first dimly lit photo shoot. ā˜ŗļø Then she posed while gazing curiously at me and my phone for a momma baby shoot.

The little little has grown, but as you can see heā€™s still tiny. His belly and crop are his most prominent features! Looking forward to seeing those big dark eyes looking back at his momma and me! šŸ˜

Attachments

• 12DAB876-487C-41C3-A67B-BF0C8BA2C3CB.jpeg
    12DAB876-487C-41C3-A67B-BF0C8BA2C3CB.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 34
  • C8CFEE58-227A-4296-83A1-B27D10863C4D.jpeg
    C8CFEE58-227A-4296-83A1-B27D10863C4D.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 33
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    7.5 MB
Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you!!!
Twila rarely lets Toby feed her, I guess she leaves that to me. Maybe because I offer her millet and seed, while Toby only has stuff to regurgitate for her? I donā€™t know, but that doesnā€™t stop Toby from trying. He spends a lot of time near her, and perched at the entrance to the nest box.

When do I need to be concerned about splayed legs? Baby sleeps either on his belly or back. When heā€™s on his belly, Iā€™m concerned about splayed legs. Heā€™s definitely getting a good amount of nutrition. His crop is full more often than not. Heā€™s four days old now. Yes, heā€™s spending his days sleeping and eating, and heā€™s eating before dawn and after dark.

Sweet little little! (I often call my birds littles, so it only makes sense to call the babes little littles!)

These photos are babyā€™s first photos. I didnā€™t dare open the lid on the nest box long enough to take photos earlier. Twila was happily eating millet perched on my finger during babyā€™s first dimly lit photo shoot. ā˜ŗļø Then she posed while gazing curiously at me and my phone for a momma baby shoot.

The little little has grown, but as you can see heā€™s still tiny. His belly and crop are his most prominent features! Looking forward to seeing those big dark eyes looking back at his momma and me! šŸ˜
Awww! Nothing's cuter than baby budgies! He looks like he's doing fine. As long as mama is feeding him and keeping him warm and he's still peeping a lot, eating a lot and growing he is fine!
I see he doesn't have any siblings yet. No rush. More food for baby! Keep an eye in him to make sure Mama keeps up the hard work. If she stops feeding him or keeping him warm you may need to intervene. Rejecting a baby doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with the baby and you CAN save a rejected baby IF you need to. Best wishes to you and your little little!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Awww! Nothing's cuter than baby budgies! He looks like he's doing fine. As long as mama is feeding him and keeping him warm and he's still peeping a lot, eating a lot and growing he is fine!
I see he doesn't have any siblings yet. No rush. More food for baby! Keep an eye in him to make sure Mama keeps up the hard work. If she stops feeding him or keeping him warm you may need to intervene. Rejecting a baby doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with the baby and you CAN save a rejected baby IF you need to. Best wishes to you and your little little!
The stuff that Toby regurgitates to her is good for her and her baby. Maybe you should feed her less and let him feed her more

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The stuff that Toby regurgitates to her is good for her and her baby. Maybe you should feed her less and let him feed her more
What are you going to name your baby? I named Rocky the day he hatched. You should name him because all birdies need names, even if he doesn't make it for some reason.

Most Reactions

Latest posts