Baby Cockatiel Feathers

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
I have a pair of cockatiels, a pair of budgies, and a baby cockatiel
Hey Everyone!

I recently got a baby cockatiel from a Dad's friend, and it's around 60-65 days now, but it isn't fully feathered yet (pics below), and it specially has very less feathers on its neck. He doesn't eat grains or cockatiel feed, only soft solids, like chickpeas soaked in water, rice, etc, and most of the time baby bird formula. My thought is that I've done something wrong with feeding it, and I'd like to ask for your guys' opinions and suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG20220628152608.jpg
    IMG20220628152608.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG20220628152601.jpg
    IMG20220628152601.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG20220628152550.jpg
    IMG20220628152550.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG20220628152528.jpg
    IMG20220628152528.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG20220628152522.jpg
    IMG20220628152522.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 78

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I can’t say what is wrong with his feathers but he looks too young to be fully weaned.

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
I can’t say what is wrong with his feathers but he looks too young to be fully weaned.
I've had it for 46 days, and the person I got it from said it was around 20-25 days

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Keep ahold of those feathers, they are worth $$$ on the black market.

Or....at least for DNA testing.....

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome! Oh my golly he's so cute with his big eyes and little face!!

I don't know much about the weaning process, but do you have a vet you could take him to for a checkup? Sometimes injuries to or problems with their crop during hand feeding can cause the feathers to fall out, so I'd be a little bit worried seeing feather loss in that area.

Here's a link to a list of Avian vets, maybe one is near you?

Avian Vet Resources

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots

I don't know much about the weaning process, but do you have a vet you could take him to for a checkup? Sometimes injuries to or problems with their crop during hand feeding can cause the feathers to fall out, so I'd be a little bit worried seeing feather loss in that area.

Avian Vet Resources

Avian Vet Resources
Thank You, he is quite adorable.

The feathers haven't come or fallen off, they never grew. Also, I do know a vet, but it's quite far, and I can go in only like 10 days time

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hey Everyone!

I recently got a baby cockatiel from a Dad's friend, and it's around 60-65 days now, but it isn't fully feathered yet (pics below), and it specially has very less feathers on its neck. He doesn't eat grains or cockatiel feed, only soft solids, like chickpeas soaked in water, rice, etc, and most of the time baby bird formula. My thought is that I've done something wrong with feeding it, and I'd like to ask for your guys' opinions and suggestions. Thanks!
Such a cutie ❤

I agree with above users, try to get him to an avian vet as soon as possible, just to make sure he's OK.

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
Did you feed it solids when you got it? 20-25 days is way too young for a bird to be weaned.
No, his beak isn't strong enough to crush pellets or millets yet, so I have to soak them to be soft before giving them. Also, I started to give them at around 40 days, and only occasionally, he's still on formula

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
No, his beak isn't strong enough to crush pellets or millets yet, so I have to soak them to be soft before giving them. Also, I started to give them at around 40 days, and only occasionally, he's still on formula
I think you may find this useful:

OP
shahwaiz

shahwaiz

Jun 4, 2022
Parrots
I think you may find this useful:
Thanks for the advice!

I had done a lot of research before getting it, so I knew what I was dealing with. I knew pretty much everything from the post you linked, but the weaning part was indeed helpful, so thank you for that!

Most Reactions