Baby cockatiel (less than one month old) heavy breathing, please help!

AlinaEncheva

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
3 cockatiels <3
hello! three days ago we got a baby cockatiel (less than a month old) our concerns are that the baby has difficulty breathing and the symptoms are : tail bobbing, heavy breathing, there is something like a balloon increasing and decreasing which is located on his right side of the neck when he is breathing, he is also has something like ''wet'' sneezing, has wheezing sounds when he breaths. we are fully aware that he can get aspiration when giving him baby formula but we are very gentle when we are feeding him. Please help us, we don't have expert for birds in our country, Bulgaria. I''ve purchased doxycycline just in case he needs, but we are not sure how much to give him since he is a baby. Also his poop is normal, has its white spot in it, not watery, brownish (which i saw its normal for baby parrot who are given formulas) Thank in advance!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
By any chance, can you return the bird to the breeder or someone who is experienced with hand rearing birds? Once the cockatiel is eating on his own, have it returned to you, however, make sure it doesn't regress. Meanwhile, visit the bird and learn husbandry so when the big day arrives when bringing the bird back home, the cockatiel is going to know who you are. Cockatiels should be at least 12 weeks old before they should be considered on being adopted. That is just my opinion. Mainly, you want to ensure that the cockatiel can eat on his own. When it comes to medication, I would advise with a vet.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
hello! three days ago we got a baby cockatiel (less than a month old) our concerns are that the baby has difficulty breathing and the symptoms are : tail bobbing, heavy breathing, there is something like a balloon increasing and decreasing which is located on his right side of the neck when he is breathing, he is also has something like ''wet'' sneezing, has wheezing sounds when he breaths. we are fully aware that he can get aspiration when giving him baby formula but we are very gentle when we are feeding him. Please help us, we don't have expert for birds in our country, Bulgaria. I''ve purchased doxycycline just in case he needs, but we are not sure how much to give him since he is a baby. Also his poop is normal, has its white spot in it, not watery, brownish (which i saw its normal for baby parrot who are given formulas) Thank in advance!
Why are you buying an unweaned baby bird? I just tried to help a young person in Malaysia who did the same thing and the baby died, much to my extreme grief. I recently hand raised a baby budgie from an egg with the advice and guidance of an avian vet but I'm not a vet. Your baby bird is very sick and is going to die without immediate medical care Call the breeder for advice.

Most Reactions

Latest posts