baby gray has diarrhea

OP
Mammad

Mammad

Apr 21, 2020
Parrots
double yellow head Amazon, African grey
Laurasea sent me a message. These two have really given good advice, but please do NOT under any circumstances give your baby yogurt or any other dairy product.

It sounds like you are doing a lot right. I’m sorry that an unethical breeder sent you home with an unweaned baby and put you in this position.

Your biggest risk right now are dehydration and electrolyte depletion. Does baby drink water on his own? What solid foods does he munch?

Also, Nekton is a great brand, they have a product called nekton-biotic-bird which is a probiotic, see if you can get your hands on that (probiotics are why people suggest yogurt). Also consider adding nekton-q which is just a booster for birds struggling with medical issues.

In the mean time you need to see a specialized avian vet. If you’ve already ruled out bacteria my next thought is a new parasite specifically a water born one like protozoa. Ask your vet about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thank you for the reply,
no he is not drinking water and i still didnt give him solid food he is on the formula for 4 times a day 6 hrs apart, nothing changed for the past week, week before that he was scheduled on 6 meals a day.

Last edited:
OP
Mammad

Mammad

Apr 21, 2020
Parrots
update,
today i gave him Nekton Q and Nekton biotic bird as suggested by SilverSage mixed with his formula at 12 mid-noon.
pic #2 was taken early morning today. (the black lines is from cleaning his feathers)
pic #1 fresh pic. which is same as yesterday

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
how is he doing? It looks like the poop is more solid...
I use Nekton products but just be SUPER CAUTIOUS when reading dosing instructions, as I have an entire post devoted to this (they are very misleading in some cases). I do like Nekton.

OP
Mammad

Mammad

Apr 21, 2020
Parrots
how is he doing? It looks like the poop is more solid...
I use Nekton products but just be SUPER CAUTIOUS when reading dosing instructions, as I have an entire post devoted to this (they are very misleading in some cases). I do like Nekton.

day 3

still has diarrhea
there is some signs of weakness, sleeps alot and lost 5g :(
Should I give him warm banana smash to boost his energy? Or coconut water with his formula?

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would consider this an emergency, and find an avain veterinarian right away today.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yeah- sounds like it is very serious (weight loss, probable dehydration, lethargy= major red flags in the current situation). If you have to drive an hour or 2, I probably would.

OP
Mammad

Mammad

Apr 21, 2020
Parrots
sorry for the late update,

took him today again to the vet as recommended, did throat & crop swab all came negative, the funny thing he was active, no diarrhea as he gave the veterinary live sample which was a big relieve but i got that look from veterinary he was like nothing is wrong with him why are you here lol, i told him the story he said maybe he was stressed that's it... as for the weight lost he said now he is already above average which is good and the lost 5 grams will be gained again since he recovered.

so its either because of Nekton products kicked in or of the 30g warm mashed banana i gave him :54: ...... I'm so happy to see Leo active again and chasing Rio (my 3 years old double yellow head Amazon) and hope to see full recovery from his diarrhea.

thank you guys for being beside me to get through this

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 95
OP
Mammad

Mammad

Apr 21, 2020
Parrots
today afternoon videos
[ame="https://youtu.be/FCDmFmf_Bt4"]https://youtu.be/FCDmFmf_Bt4[/ame]
[ame="https://youtu.be/iTMqjt5ZfaY"]https://youtu.be/iTMqjt5ZfaY[/ame]

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Better safe than sorry! Great poop oic! What a cutie in the videos!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts