Baby ringnecks not being fed!

Jshibu23

Sep 27, 2021
Parrots
Ringneck, budgies
Hello everyone, I'm new to this website and would like to say hello. I'm actually in a sticky situation right now and would like to know if it is possible if budgie parents can raise an Indian ringneck chick. Yes, I know it's a bit weird but I have no other option. I do not have the time to hand-feed newborn chicks and cannot find anyone available to hand feed the chicks. Currently, I have a pair of ringnecks sitting on 4 eggs. 1 has hatched but they are not feeding it and it died. The next one will hatch tomorrow. I also have a pair of budgies who are sitting on six eggs and 3 have hatched overall. Would it be okay if I can put an Indian ringneck chick with the budgie parents as they are feeding their chicks? Any advice would be appreciated.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums, Jshibu23, although I am sorry for the circumstances in which your babies find themselves.

First off I must say that, although I personally have zero experience with raising chicks, it does not sound to me like a budgie feeding IRN chicks would be a good idea - hopefully other members will be able to advise you on that though. Do you have an avian vet that you can contact for advice and support? Because that would be my first port of call. The following link will help you to find one.....

I hope other members weigh in soon, but personally, if it was me in this situation, I would be making a call to my bird vet.

Hoping that all of your little ones will be ok!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
the irn baby will look like a bigger baby budgie the parents will give the bigger chicks more food and attention leaving the rest of the babies or not feeding them as good so its not a good option

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Based on my recent experience with Budgie Babies, 3 seems to be the maximum that Budgies can feed really well. And Mama Budgie was spending all her time and energy collecting food & feeding the babies. So, I would Not recommend attempting to add more to the Budgie Parents' responsibilities, I think you would likely lose the existing baby budgies instead.

Also. You are concerned because the IRN parents did not feed the first baby and it died. It is Possible that First Baby had something wrong with it. It seems odd to me that both parents would choose to not feed it, otherwise.

IF the second one hatches and also does not get fed, you could try doing what I did with my Last Budgie Baby. Mama could not keep track of them all, after three. Number Four, Tiny, had not grown any and was about to die. I hand-fed her but did Not pull her from the nest otherwise. So I would take her out and feed her, but then put her back. Day Three, Tiny had gotten a little bigger (barely!), enough that Mama found her and began stuffing her with food.

So IF your next IRN baby is not getting fed, you could try this as well. Rather than KEEP the baby Out, instead, ONLY take it out for some extra feedings, IF it seems the parents also ignore this one. Then put it back each time for them to keep the baby warm, etc. There's a reasonable chance they might then realize they have a baby to feed, and take over the job.

Again, I doubt whether Budgie-mama can come up with sufficient food to nourish a relatively Huge IRN baby, but if so, it seems it would likely be at expense of her own babies.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Based on my recent experience with Budgie Babies, 3 seems to be the maximum that Budgies can feed really well. And Mama Budgie was spending all her time and energy collecting food & feeding the babies. So, I would Not recommend attempting to add more to the Budgie Parents' responsibilities, I think you would likely lose the existing baby budgies instead.

Also. You are concerned because the IRN parents did not feed the first baby and it died. It is Possible that First Baby had something wrong with it. It seems odd to me that both parents would choose to not feed it, otherwise.

IF the second one hatches and also does not get fed, you could try doing what I did with my Last Budgie Baby. Mama could not keep track of them all, after three. Number Four, Tiny, had not grown any and was about to die. I hand-fed her but did Not pull her from the nest otherwise. So I would take her out and feed her, but then put her back. Day Three, Tiny had gotten a little bigger (barely!), enough that Mama found her and began stuffing her with food.

So IF your next IRN baby is not getting fed, you could try this as well. Rather than KEEP the baby Out, instead, ONLY take it out for some extra feedings, IF it seems the parents also ignore this one. Then put it back each time for them to keep the baby warm, etc. There's a reasonable chance they might then realize they have a baby to feed, and take over the job.

Again, I doubt whether Budgie-mama can come up with sufficient food to nourish a relatively Huge IRN baby, but if so, it seems it would likely be at expense of her own babies.

I could not have said better! :D

OP
J

Jshibu23

Sep 27, 2021
Parrots
Ringneck, budgies
I wanted to give a little update, the budgies chicks have all hatched, all 6. Probably going to really exhaust the mother but she is doing really well. I am hand feeding the ringneck but it is taking really long for the crop to empty. For one chick it is taking 5 hours., for another 3 hours which seems weird. Anyway, overall it was a good idea not to place the IRN chick with the budgies.
Thanks everyone!

Most Reactions

Latest posts