Baby wont take Formula

Future Vet

Sep 6, 2023
Parrots
1 adult Budgie(mom)
2 (4-5 week-old) baby budgies
I have two baby budgies that were born around 4 or 5 weeks ago, and recently I've noticed that one is very weak, looks malnourished, as if it hasn't been fed properly, and its feathers haven't developed properly as they should by now. His feet are not completely stretched out so he uses his peek to help him walk. I started keeping and eye on him and notice the mom seemed to be neglecting him like if she had favorites. The other baby is gorgeouse and giant but he keep pulling the other one inside the nest and sits ontop of him, he also seems to be plucking out some of the little ones feather.

After this i decided to takethe little one out and take care of him myself for a few days. I put him in a box with warm blankets and paper bedding. i notice that his peak was almost fully shut with bird poo so i cleaned it up with a Q-tip and warm water, he had some stuck inside too. Ibaught babybird formula and start feeding him he same day 3 times ( 4 hourseparation) but i noticed he wasnt eating the ammounthe should be taking each meal (less and less eachtime). the second day (today) i woke up early to feed him but he wont takethe formula anymore andhe was chirpingvery softly. I puthim back in the cage but the mom still wont feed him even though he cries out to her. He is trying to steal some food straightfrom his big siblings mouth since the mom wont feed him. Ive tried feeding him with a spoon since i dont have a syringe.

he hasnt eaten anything.

Should i force feed him?

How do i get him to eat the formula?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I have two baby budgies that were born around 4 or 5 weeks ago, and recently I've noticed that one is very weak, looks malnourished, as if it hasn't been fed properly, and its feathers haven't developed properly as they should by now. His feet are not completely stretched out so he uses his peek to help him walk. I started keeping and eye on him and notice the mom seemed to be neglecting him like if she had favorites. The other baby is gorgeouse and giant but he keep pulling the other one inside the nest and sits ontop of him, he also seems to be plucking out some of the little ones feather.

After this i decided to takethe little one out and take care of him myself for a few days. I put him in a box with warm blankets and paper bedding. i notice that his peak was almost fully shut with bird poo so i cleaned it up with a Q-tip and warm water, he had some stuck inside too. Ibaught babybird formula and start feeding him he same day 3 times ( 4 hourseparation) but i noticed he wasnt eating the ammounthe should be taking each meal (less and less eachtime). the second day (today) i woke up early to feed him but he wont takethe formula anymore andhe was chirpingvery softly. I puthim back in the cage but the mom still wont feed him even though he cries out to her. He is trying to steal some food straightfrom his big siblings mouth since the mom wont feed him. Ive tried feeding him with a spoon since i dont have a syringe.

he hasnt eaten anything.

Should i force feed him?

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. Sadly, it’s quite possible that the smaller baby hasn’t developed properly and that’s why the mom is neglecting it. I have found that you really can’t force feed baby birds; they have to want to eat. Hopefully there are more experienced members on this forum who will reply. All I can say is, keep trying but, sadly, sometimes nature takes its course and there’s not much we can do. Hugs and prayers for you and your tiny baby. ❤️

Birdfriendly

Aug 6, 2023
Texas
Parrots
2 year old green parakeet named Byrdie.

he hasnt eaten anything.

Should i force feed him?

Make sure his food is warm enough, because if it is just lukewarm, he won't eat. You may have to warm the food several times during one feeding. It's such a small amount, the food cools faster.

Please keep us updated!

Most Reactions

Latest posts