Back into parrots

Melia

Oct 11, 2021
Parrots
None right now.
Ive owned amazons
Hi

Ive had a 5 year break from parrots after my amazon was stolen (it was just to painful to get another. Its felt like i was replacing her!)
I csnt handle (emotionally) another amazon.
I. Not sure whats the best parrot for me (and my family)
Im home 90% of the time
When im not my gal used to come in the car with me.
I live on a small holding so have plenty of outside play ground.
I have a bedroom for a oarrots play rokm and would buy a cage as a safe spacw.

What would everyone recommend please?
My neighbours arent toooo close. They dont complain at my german shepherd barking stupid amounts anyway.
Id appreciate opinions please

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
The fact that you are home for most of the time is good for any bird. Your situation seems pretty good. Can you tell me more? How much space do you have, what's your budget, what personality do you want in a bird, and anything else you want in your parrot. I am so sorry you amazon was stolen, and glad you have finally decided you can handle another parrot. I just need some more information before suggesting anything.

OP
M

Melia

Oct 11, 2021
Parrots
None right now.
Ive owned amazons
The fact that you are home for most of the time is good for any bird. Your situation seems pretty good. Can you tell me more? How much space do you have, what's your budget, what personality do you want in a bird, and anything else you want in your parrot. I am so sorry you amazon was stolen, and glad you have finally decided you can handle another parrot. I just need some more information before suggesting anything.
Hi

Thanks for your fast reply.
I have a 4 bed house. 2 older kids. 1 is bird crazy the other 18 and meh about anything.
The house is pretty bird proof so it would have freedomof the entire house.

Budget isnt set. Id rather wait and get the right bird than say i have x amount and not get it right. I got my amazon as she was being misstreated by a family member (through not understanding her needs). So ive never thought about what breed is right for us and vise versa

Id love a bird that played more. My gal just wasnt interested in anyone but her. Id love a bird i could take off with me and play games with me.
I keep livestock and horses so outside playtime is at a maximum as well. Its massively important to us all as a family

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hi

Thanks for your fast reply.
I have a 4 bed house. 2 older kids. 1 is bird crazy the other 18 and meh about anything.
The house is pretty bird proof so it would have freedomof the entire house.

Budget isnt set. Id rather wait and get the right bird than say i have x amount and not get it right. I got my amazon as she was being misstreated by a family member (through not understanding her needs). So ive never thought about what breed is right for us and vise versa

Id love a bird that played more. My gal just wasnt interested in anyone but her. Id love a bird i could take off with me and play games with me.
I keep livestock and horses so outside playtime is at a maximum as well. Its massively important to us all as a family
Thanks for all the info.
Older kids should be fine, as long as they are responsible and will not harm the bird in any way. A pretty big house, good space for a cage. And if you want a bird that plays games and is rather affectionate, I might go for a senegal. Mine is somewhat playful, but she is friendly and outgoing and will bond with people well. Caiques and lories are super playful, super acrobatic, so if that's what you mean by "a bird that plays more", they are a good match. For the bigger birds, cockatoos are lively and affectionate, but they don't make the greatest pets. You can research 'toos if they seem nice for you, but they become problems for many households, so you need to research in-depth for not just cockatoos, but for any species to see if it is right for you. Greys can be friendly and might enjoy playing with you, as long as you treat them right. A neglected grey is not a pleasant bird. I hope this helped, but remember to do your own research as well and make the decision that works for you.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I think it boils down to what personality traits that best suit you, and then meeting as many birds as you can and spending time with them. Keep an open mind, and allow the bird to choose you. They're so much better at it than we are. This approach also gives you the possibility of finding a species you might not have even thought about. That's how I first became an ekkie dad. Never even heard of eclectus parrots before that. The rest as they say, is history :)

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Agreed, a relaxed approach, as it were.

Tell us, honestly: as far as your Amazon is concerned, do you feel the high energy was a good fit for you? Do you need something lower energy, or is that high energy perfect for you?

Is size important? Was the Amazon perfect size? Or prefer something either bigger or smaller?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'm also curious about reference to outside play. Outside in an aviary, a cage, free flight, harness, clipped wings? Just trying to get a better understanding of what you're getting at.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very sorry to know your amazon was stolen, understand your emotional need for five year pause and seeking different species.

I'd approach your quest from a different point of view. Think of three or four of your favorite and least desired amazon traits. Might help identify other species to best fit your desires and lifestyle.

Most Reactions

Latest posts