Barely eating their food..??

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
My birds have not really been eating their seed mix the past few days (versele laga prestige) They don't eat pellets and the only veg they will eat is kale. They eat a few sprouts when I try sprouts. Are any of these sprouting seeds able to be given to them raw..?? Want to buy some seeds to make my own seed mix for them...what seeds can I give them..?? Also when you buy a seed mix, it says added vitamins and minerals...if I make my own mix, does that mean they won't be getting what they need..??

Attachments

• 20230130_135055.jpg
    20230130_135055.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 45

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Personally I stay away from seeds as much as possible. Have you tried some hot peppers? THe hotter the better, my 'zon LOVES them. Parrots have 1 taste bud to 100 of ours, so what is blazing hot for us is merely tangy to them. And peppers are full of Vit A and all sorts of good stuff.

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Personally I stay away from seeds as much as possible. Have you tried some hot peppers? THe hotter the better, my 'zon LOVES them. Parrots have 1 taste bud to 100 of ours, so what is blazing hot for us is merely tangy to them. And peppers are full of Vit A and all sorts of good stuff.
I know. Tried different pellets and vegetables and they are not keen. They are quite older birds and they're last 2 homes had them on wild bird seed or only sunflower seeds at times. They can't seem to bite through peppers. Forgot to mention, they are barraband parakeets (superb parrots)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would try cutting up different veggies, like the peppers so it's easier for them. If you were to make your own seed mix, it would be much higher quality than those found in pet stores and as most vitamins and minerals are sprayed on the hull of the seed, parrots don't eat them anyways.

As you have a Superb parrots, they need more seed in their diet than other birds, likely similar to a cockatiel or budgie, I'm not sure if many people own them on here, maybe someone else will chime in?
Some seeds that are sprouted can be fed raw, what kinds are you sprouting?

You could chop up the kale and then get it slightly moist, then sprinkle pellet powder onto the kale? Just in a small amount at first so they aren't too suspicious!

Superb parrots are one of my fav species! Would you mind gracing us with pics? 😊

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Yeach even though they don't eat veg I still try at least 3 times a week. They do occasionally take a few bites of broccoli or cauliflower and also mint, coriandar and basil. For months after getting the birds, the only veg they would eat was carrots but now they don't eat any. I have tried a bunch of sprouting seeds but the only one they ever eat Is mung beans and occasionally chickpeas. Definitely think I will try making a mix but I know there's alot of things they don't like so going to be annoying trying to choose what to try but maybe buying them fresh and not having been sprayed will be more appetising to them. They don't even eat kale when it's been chopped up, has to be whole but will try sprinkling them over it anyway.

The other seeds I have have for sprouting are -
raw buckwheat
Pearl barley
fenugreek
alfalfa seed
yellow mustard seed
fennel seed
raw broccoli seed
radish seed....can all this be fed raw..??
I would try cutting up different veggies, like the peppers so it's easier for them. If you were to make your own seed mix, it would be much higher quality than those found in pet stores and as most vitamins and minerals are sprayed on the hull of the seed, parrots don't eat them anyways.

As you have a Superb parrots, they need more seed in their diet than other birds, likely similar to a cockatiel or budgie, I'm not sure if many people own them on here, maybe someone else will chime in?
Some seeds that are sprouted can be fed raw, what kinds are you sprouting?

You could chop up the kale and then get it slightly moist, then sprinkle pellet powder onto the kale? Just in a small amount at first so they aren't too suspicious!

Superb parrots are one of my fav species! Would you mind gracing us with pics? 😊

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yeach even though they don't eat veg I still try at least 3 times a week. They do occasionally take a few bites of broccoli or cauliflower and also mint, coriandar and basil. For months after getting the birds, the only veg they would eat was carrots but now they don't eat any. I have tried a bunch of sprouting seeds but the only one they ever eat Is mung beans and occasionally chickpeas. Definitely think I will try making a mix but I know there's alot of things they don't like so going to be annoying trying to choose what to try but maybe buying them fresh and not having been sprayed will be more appetising to them. They don't even eat kale when it's been chopped up, has to be whole but will try sprinkling them over it anyway.

The other seeds I have have for sprouting are -
raw buckwheat
Pearl barley
fenugreek
alfalfa seed
yellow mustard seed
fennel seed
raw broccoli seed
radish seed....can all this be fed raw..??
You could try steaming the veggies they will eat, and at least they're willing to try some things!

Mung beans are one of the best things you can sprout, as for what seeds can be fed raw, I know pearl barley can be, though not all birds like it raw.
Buckwheat can be fed raw, as can fennell.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the safety of the other seeds being fed raw?

Have you offered sweet potato? You can steam it in the microwave or oven lightly, then you could mix seed and pellet powder into it.
Your birds are so pretty and shiny!

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Will try steaming them, not tried that yet. Tried them with pearl barley, buckwheat, fennel and fenugreek...they ate some fennel seed and pearl barley. Yeah tried sweet potato a handful of times. I cook it on the hob and have tried them with it mashed and whole. They don't eat it. Aw thank you 😊

OP
L

louise22

Jun 17, 2022
Parrots
parakeets
Had a look through whole foods online and decided on these to make a dry seed mix...does it sound ok as their main diet..??

oat groats
hulled millet
chia seeds
hemp seeds
dried rosemary
pearl barley
fennel seed
rolled oats
Quinoa

I will still give sprouts regularly, also kale, coriandar, mint leaves and basil leaves as they like all of these and of course keep trying regularly with other vegetables.

Also how and where is the best place to keep them stored..??

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Had a look through whole foods online and decided on these to make a dry seed mix...does it sound ok as their main diet..??

oat groats
hulled millet
chia seeds
hemp seeds
dried rosemary
pearl barley
fennel seed
rolled oats
Quinoa

I will still give sprouts regularly, also kale, coriandar, mint leaves and basil leaves as they like all of these and of course keep trying regularly with other vegetables.

Also how and where is the best place to keep them stored..??
Looks great! I store my birds seed in air tight containers or freezer ziplocks. I usually put the seed into the freezer for a week or so, just in case it has any pantry moths.

Most Reactions

Latest posts