Bath time (how to/help thread) Budgie Edition

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
Hello, sooo I am not able to get my budgie to bathe. I have tried misting, lettuce, shower with me, distilled water, just providing a shallow dish, Putting a mirror in a shallow dish, Taking a "bath" with her (3 or 4 inches of water lol) , letting her just get used to it (by sitting by the water with treats... I have tried all of this and I am at a loss of ideas. can anyone help? If you have any enticing ways (for the bird) of letting them take a bath, please send me how and (if you can) pictures of your bird bathing that way. I figured, I am not the only one struggling with this, so this may help me and others.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Several of my birds didn't like to bathe, either. What did the trick for them was playing a thunderstorm from Youtube. We then started misting them and within a few minutes they were enjoying it.
Now whenever they hear the thunderstorm everyone starts rustling their wings, they know they are about to get wet and are so excited:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I used to fill a bowl with a bit of water and then let my hand take a splashy bath until Lucy decided to hop in. I also sometimes set her in the sink with just a trickle of water going to make an interesting noise. I don’t know if that would work with Blueberry.

Does she have a water dish or a bottle? If she has a water dish I would think she might sneak baths. Bathing is a vulnerable time for a bird. It may take time for Blueberry to be ok bathing in front of you.

OP
Bluberrytheparakeet

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
She has a water dish
> https://www.petsuppliesplus.com/cat...ederwaterersplastic/caitec-sure-lock-cup/6385

The little sticker in there was paper and removable. Her cage is in the living room, and I do not see ANY signs of bathing, we are almost ALWAYS in the living room, and there is never any splashing or water on the floor.

I came up with an idea, but am wondering what to use for it. I was thinking get a 2nd one of theses put it right next to the one she has ( I don't want to mess with her water bowl, as she got severely dehydrated one time when I moved the bowl 6.5 inches.... I don't know why, but vet checked it out re-hydrated her through IV and yea she is normal now. That was a "well that happened" moment.) and keep it dry. Put like millet in the bottom. Later like a week I would fill it with a few (like 1-2) cm of water, but after that I can't think of a food item that wouldn't get soggy (I would be changing it every 12 hours or when (or if) she eats it).. Any suggestions?

Most Reactions

Latest posts