beak issue?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Noodles has always had a bit of a black streak on her beak, but this winter, the black seems to be darker than it was last summer (based on image comparisons). I am maybe just overthinking it (because I am with her all the time due to lockdown) but does anyone else know if their Too's beak fluctuates in the levels of black vs grey? Like I said, she's always had a slightly shiny black stripe, but it seems slightly large than it used to be?

She was tested for PBFD like 2-3 years ago and it was negative (we did the the blood panel when she had some odd feathers) and she hasn't been around other birds other than on vet visits to a CAV for beak trims.

Does this level of black look normal?! Sorry I couldn't get a better pic..
noodles123-albums-random-picture22353-noodles-beak-streak-normal.jpg

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My only current dark-beaked cockatoo is Alice the Citron. Quite a lot of shading variation over time so assume this is natural. She's been mine for ~32 years.

wfstecko

Nov 29, 2019
Parrots
Rocco, Umbrella Cockatoo
Rocco has shading variation on his beak. He loves to perch on my left arm while I massage his beak with my right hand. He closes his eyes and appears to be snoozing. It doesn't take long until his beak is dark and shiny.

Walter

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Keep the pic's and doing the comparison's but seems like all birds have a color variation. Especially depending on oils present. jh

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The Too's that I have been around have a fairly wide range of color variation to their beaks. The thing that I have noted is that the darker /shinny areas tend to be near the tip and not the root (top). To me that seems odd as the root has the newest area of the beak. If dark /shinny in natural, it should be at the roots and not the tips.

This implies that the dark /shinny area is being manipulated by buffing on a soft, but somewhat abrasive surface or natural oils on your hand(s) are infilling the natural grooves providing a dark /shinny surface.

Enjoy, clearly your Too is enjoying the soft, comforting finger rubs! Your Too well joys it!!!

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I was worried about too much black (not too much grey)--I know that their beaks (as a rule) should be grey due to preening and powder production . Thank you all- I am probably just noticing things I overlooked before because I am home with her all the time (due to covid lock-down) and due to the fact that she is probably less content with all of the crappy, cloudy weather we have been having.

Most Reactions

Latest posts