Because the Ts weren’t weird enough...

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I did a thing....I’ve been fascinated and freaked out by these all at the same time for awhile. Well a guy posted his giant white leg one the other day and I talked to him. He said get a small one at first to get used to them...so I did...and they are so pretty guys! I mean still a bit freaky but pretty!

And yeah anyway say hi to my new & first centipedes!

Otostigmus sp. violet x2 - unnamed. The question is should I do another theme for the centipedes. The Ts are Harry Potter...
gX3PYcO.jpg

P91zZ8e.jpg

S5JYHAl.jpg

6lI816B.jpg

The enclosures. I went super tall compared to their size since they can’t climb...yeah I was paranoid:46:
3hxUEOW.jpg

jUZQ1cT.jpg

Z0w9Mqt.jpg

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Nicely different? Differently nice!
Are those the little ones who have quite the bite/sting?

Centipedes can have a painful bite and I certainly don’t want to get one! From what I’ve been reading these aren’t as bad as the giant centipedes. These guys are basically full grown with an inch at most of any growth left to do. And they aren’t defensive or aggressive like I’ve read the big ones are which is why they these were recommended for beginner keepers. They aren’t likely to grab tongs or sticks and rush up them at you lol. So far even poking around their enclosure I haven’t even got a defensive stance from them. They just scurry away to a new hiding spot. Once they dig their Burrows I probably won’t see them much.

Their diet can be way more diverse than I realized even giving them some fruit is good for them! Compared to the tarantulas who only eat the bugs.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I stumbled across this one and couldn’t resist. I love the ones where there is a huge contrast between body & leg color. My friend had an order coming from the seller already so I just slipped this guy into her box haha

Setup - I went a bit crazy lol. I wanted to do a rock pile for him but realized I didn’t have any big flat rocks. So shattered one of the clay plant pots. Its something at least. The other side is just unused aquarium gravel that my uncle gave me when he stopped keeping frogs.
l3ARpTq.jpg

Scolopendra heros ’castaneiceps’
B1vyojW.jpg

P5VzEws.jpg

uT9BAQS.jpg

hwUroar.jpg

1jicOmE.jpg

Exploring
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fid8eNDevZI"]YouTube[/ame]

Caught him digging! Ignore the commentary from both people & like 3 different animals in both videos:18:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m8VNIeNFFc"]Centipede(1) - YouTube[/ame]

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That is basically a terrarium with centipedes, which somehow makes it very appealing to me lol!!! Not sure why....But I like the idea of a pretty and natural enclosure-although I know little about these guys-
I will say, I have a a few "wild" ones in my dirt basement ;) They like my old, damp coal room lol-not really an invasion, as I never see them on the main floor, and they pretty much stay out of my way when I'm down there, but it does make me a bit uneasy when I have to empty the water buckets in their room (the coal chute leaks and so I have to empty the water buckets every so often...and there is no electricity in there...so it's me, a hand-held lantern and centipedes....lol/eek--I assume they are helpful in someway, so I leave them alone. I only ever see one at a time anyway.

Yours seem very calm lol! Mine are always scuttling around...probably because I disrupt them when I move the buckets LOL

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts