so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I just came out of having my red butt shower and I saw Bella has another beak problem.
She is obviously going to have to see the CAV but he is out this week.
It actually looks worse in the pictures than it does in person.

20230222_142246 (2).jpg

20230222_142300 (2).jpg

The location of the missing piece is an area of her beak that has always looked slightly deformed. It has a sort of extreme bend or curvature. calcium sup
It's sort of easy to see on the opposite side of her beak but very hard to photograph because it's all black and the bend doesn't show up well at all.

I am thinking a blood test for calcium levels and perhaps some calcium supplements. and no more almonds.
It will be hard on Bella being such a scared bird. She has only been to the vet once right after we brought her home in 2016.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is quite the piece of lower beak that is missing.

The fix is much the same as one's Dentist would use to place a cover over a section of tooth that had lost its cover (filling). Fairly quick and not very evasive, nor overly expensive. The driver of doing anything would be if the lower beak has movement from right to left (only the beak) you should consider have that done! Now, the material is only to keep the beak stable while that section of beak grows past that spot, as they are more like finger nails in their growth.

You need to look around and determine where Bella is working that section of the beak. Commonly, some place that has a 90 degree angle, metal to metal, area like the food bowl and its connection point to the cage or perch, as If I understand you correctly, this is not the first time!

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I called my CAV and he is out this week. Next appointment I can make is the 7th of next month.
I can call on Monday and have them work me in on an emergency basis.
She is in no distress and acting 100% normal.

My concern is infection and cause.

I can go with the exotic vet but they don't ... I don't have full confidence in their ability to handle a bird (toweling and like that).
When dealing with my amazons I can handle them well and getting them bundled up is a snap.
Bella will be a completely different story.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think it happened when she snuck into a kitchen cabinet this morning.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Good choice to wait for the Avian Vet you are comfortable with as although it is fair straight forward, I would not trust an exotic vet for this kind of work.

Infection always is a concern. Is the reddish area the inside of the mouth or inner most part of the beak? If inside of month, there is no question that you will want this work done, but with your Avian Vet!

That size of break with wood would leave a mark on the door. If a hinge or like, you may find the beak bit. But if you are sure, the kitchen becomes off limits as a repeat could cause the lose of the low beak from that a point forward.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Good choice to wait for the Avian Vet you are comfortable with as although it is fair straight forward, I would not trust an exotic vet for this kind of work.

Infection always is a concern. Is the reddish area the inside of the mouth or inner most part of the beak? If inside of month, there is no question that you will want this work done, but with your Avian Vet!

That size of break with wood would leave a mark on the door. If a hinge or like, you may find the beak bit. But if you are sure, the kitchen becomes off limits as a repeat could cause the lose of the low beak from that a point forward.
It’s the outer part Of the beak. If it was a hole to the inside I would be on my way to the emergency clinic in west LA.

Most of the time Bella doesn’t fool wit the cabinets but I think it’s seasonal. Spring and looking for nesting locations.
We can keep her out of the cupboards but I was taking a nap at the time and not on watch😴

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
False Alarm.

Whatever it was was something stuck to the outside, was not an injury.

we think it might have been a bit of pasta & sauce

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Well that's good news!

That happened to me and Cotton last summer! A spot that looked like a hole right under his nare, and I knew he had sinus/nare issues on that side already. He wouldn't let me get close enough to really inspect, and in photos it looked absolutely terrible. And then it was gone two days later!

Most Reactions

Latest posts