Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Well on the good side her gender has been confirmed.:11:
Last night she was frantic to get back into her cupboard even though it was dark.
She ended up laying the egg from her perch so it broke when it hit bottom.

The problem I am left with is how to keep her out of the cupboard.
I am sure it is what is driving her hormones.
I can keep her from opening the cupboard but she will try and try and probably start tearing apart the cupboard doors.
OR.
I can fill the shelf she uses with boxes and stuff so she cant get into the cupboard.

personally I like the second option.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, there is no better confirmation of Bella sex than her laying an egg! Proof positive that she is a female.

Regarding the cupboard, if it is her favorite place. Consider walling it off for an extended time. Whether it is 1/2" plywood or other hard surface full opening filler is your choice. But, IMHO, it should be a solid, top to bottom, side to side closure that states: forever closed.

Once she has found a new place and yes, she will be looking. You can choose to removed the covering.

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Also thinking about taking all her “nest making “ material away. Leave shelf completely bare.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Guess I'm lucky..never had an egg layer. With that I can assume Smokey was a male,even tho I called a "she". 28 years and never laid one.
Don't know what to tell you my friend.

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
It’s under control.
I removed all the shredded phone books and blocked access to the shelf with boxes.

I knew this was a possibility but I have had no real success in getting her to play with toys.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Last night she was frantic to get back into her cupboard even though it was dark.

I can keep her from opening the cupboard but she will try and try and probably start tearing apart the cupboard doors.
OR.
I can fill the shelf she uses with boxes and stuff so she cant get into the cupboard.

Can you just shut it? Mine will still try to go in even with stuff in there, which is why I just don't let her...Or does it not have doors?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

OR.

Can you just shut it? Mine will still try to go in even with stuff in there, which is why I just don't let her...Or does it not have doors?

First off she can open them in 2 seconds.
I could rig them with baby proof latches but she would hang onto the door and tear apart the wood work.

She is content to sit on the open cupboard door and hang out.

So far no sign of another egg but making sure she gets enough calcium.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Noodles had only ever just laid one, but smart to be on the lookout. You left the egg, right? My vet says to leave the egg or a dummy for 1-2 weeks even if no interest is shown and then longer if any interest is present during that time (even if inconsistent). Also good to give that added calcium.

This is a stretch and way more work than you may want, but if there is a room you don't want your bird in, you could try attaching a bead door,curtain or some sort of hanging screen (as long as your bird won't chew on it if it isn't stainless) OR, you could consider attaching an actual door with a window etc (although I'd avoid swinging doors, as they can be seriously dangerous)....I know that sounds over the top, but another benefit is that it puts further separation between your bird and kitchen hazards.

*You could also just slide a door (temporarily) into the doorway without actually attaching it so that the entry is mostly blocked, OR you could use a curtain tension rod to hang an old shower curtain or actual curtain in the doorway (these options are easier to remove quickly and I have personally used the curtain rod and curtain trick many times at my parents' house, as well as using an old door to temporarily block of the kitchen without actually attaching it to the wall--- you just slide it aside as needed (but keep it an an angle against the wall or it can fall over-I bet your guy would just go through the gap though, so curtain thing would prob work better-esp if it's a heavy curtain with a sturdy spring-style rod) Note: New shower curtains are notorious for high levels of VOCs and carcinogens, so I wouldn't use a new one.

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
egg was laid at perch height and broke when it hit the bottom. Can't keep that.
I think Bella was so surprised she did not know what happened.

I have a funny kind of net made out of rubber. it has very small holes and I could hang it in between kitchen and rest of the house but...
It would almost certainly scare the Cockatiels.

I try to let Bella do what she wants to do out of the cage so long as it does not cause damage or is unsafe for her. When ether my wife or myself is using the stove she has to go back to the cage.
She is well behaved and knows I will let her out when it's safe for her.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
At the suggestion of another member, I ended up buying dummy eggs to have on hand in case an egg that was laid broke etc (and because I never like the idea of leaving a real egg in because of the stinky mess it could cause if broken weeks later)-- that is something you may want to consider in the event that this happens again.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts