so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella is about the same with no real changes.

Her biggest changes are the new words she learns and makes up.

All Good.
What's wrong?
Let's go out.

and the new word is....

Prella Pretty- Bella

She is still plucking and barbering her feathers. She goes through cycles of letting her feather grow in and then pulling them out (on her chest ).

here is a short video of Bella doing her Summersault's. This always happens when my wife is in the kitchen cooking. Can't leave Bella out and you can see she really want's to be where the action is.

[ame="https://youtu.be/coDRxtbVzDs"]Bella doing summersault's - YouTube[/ame]

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The clarity of "I Want To Be Out" is as clear as it gets! :D

Hmmm, I'm thinking that Bella has spent some time in Europe as she has that European Round-About thing going in place of a quick North America Summersault. But, regardless, it's with that special Bella grace. :D

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
She's very cute! I love greys.

if she's plucking etc- have you considered uncovering the cage fully. That looks like a very shadowy space-- very nest-like in that cage with the blanket over the back like that.

You want it to be fully uncovered unless you are covering for bed.

Shadowy spaces like that can lead to feather mutilation via hormonal issues etc.

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

if she's plucking etc- have you considered uncovering the cage fully. That looks like a very shadowy space-- very nest-like in that cage with the blanket over the back like that.

Shadowy spaces like that can lead to feather mutilation via hormonal issues etc.

The back part of the cage tends to be darker than the rest of her cage. She makes good use of that area as her hiding place. She feels safe there. I don't honesty remember the time of day for sure of the video but it was most likely late evening as that is when my wife starts cooking stuff.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

The back part of the cage tends to be darker than the rest of her cage. She makes good use of that area as her hiding place. She feels safe there. I don't honesty remember the time of day for sure of the video but it was most likely late evening as that is when my wife starts cooking stuff.

99% of parrots would love a dark space in a cage like that (because they want to reproduce and nest so badly and it's hard-wired for them to seek out things like that)-- Noodles would be in hog heaven---she seeks those types of spaces out, but it alters their hormones (as they are photoperiodic or photosensitive--can't remember the exact term)..When they get in that mode but have no outlet or mate etc it can lead to self destructive and neurotic behaviors. I am not denying that your bird likes and uses that space, but that could be part of the problem. If Noodles had that kind of access, she's be much more anxious/hormonal than she already is. It's like birds and boxes-- Noodles LOVES them but they are really bad for them in terms of behavior/hormones because it simulates a hollow/nesting space in a scenario in which they will not actually be able to mate/procreate. The entire cage is very shadowy with that cover (just like a tree hollow) and they wouldn't be hanging out in those unless sitting on eggs or nesting...You will find that they are drawn to spaces like that consistently, but it doesn't do them any favors in captivity.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The clarity of "I Want To Be Out" is as clear as it gets! :D

Hmmm, I'm thinking that Bella has spent some time in Europe as she has that European Round-About thing going in place of a quick North America Summersault. But, regardless, it's with that special Bella grace. :D

Ha I agree, that is about as clear of let me out as it gets!

Plus she is showing how great and fun and cute she is, how can you resist?! Lol

Nice update

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Maybe I should do a short recap of Bella's situation.

This is how I found her at my local pet shop Nov of 2016.

Bella in the pet shop by wes mcfaden, on Flickr

I was told she was 8 months old and previous owner got a new dog that scared Bella into plucking.
ACV said no way on the age, she had to be older but could not give me age.

So this is how she looks in her optimal appearance.

Beella 8-22-20 by wes mcfaden, on Flickr

To BE continued.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

I was told she was 8 months old and previous owner got a new dog that scared Bella into plucking.

To BE continued.

She looks way better!!! Sorry if that came off as a criticism-- it wasn't. I just have always found that even anxious birds eventually do better in homes etc without partial daytime covering or access to shadowy spaces.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
TBH removing the pan from the top of the cage is something that only recently came up as an idea.

I tried it with Bingo's cage. He spent a lot of time looking up LOL. In the end I put it back (upside down). In the upside down position you can hang toys from the top much easier.

Anyway Bella is a very nervous bird and I think she would feel vulnerable and scared if I took the top pan off.
She has been doing better, less scared and jumpy.
I wish I could put the play top on top of her cage but she would freak out if I made that big if a change to her cage.

So When I say she is still plucking it's not like a sever case it's just a disappointment to me. I thought bringing her home to a place where she felt loved and got a lot of attention would be enough.

I am in it for the long haul and she is such a smart and friendly personality that overall looks are not so important.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house

To BE continued.

Wow! You did great! Her face shows such happiness in the second picture! So happy she is safe with you now!!!

Plucking once started is so difficult to get stopped. I rescued Penny and I thought with good home, being clean instead of covered in poop, good food , being out of the cage and lots of attention she would stop. Once almost all feathers came back around neck.....then she started again.. so I understand..

Lisa999

Dec 31, 2020
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Alex GCC - RIP
Wow, you are doing so great with Bella! She looks amazing, glad that you found her and she ended up with your family - she looks happy and loved. I love observing African Greys. I saw one at an aviary a couple of months ago for the first time. I would not trust myself to have one, maybe many years down the road.

Most Reactions