Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Bella’s story
Every time I go to the family owned pet store the first thing I do is say hello to the birds they have for sale. This time I happened to go with the whole family (wife and Son).

After looking at the Conures and the amazon parrot they have I started to go after the millet I came for. My wife said “did you see the African grey?” My instant response was “they don’t have an African grey!”

Well she was right (as usual). This poor bird with no feathers on its chest and the feathers on its back looked like it just came out of a wind tunnel or something. It was a sad sight and it was vigorously rubbing and picking at it feathers on its back.

I went up to the cage and it seemed friendly. I was able to scratch it through the bars and it could not get enough.

I spoke to the sales people and was told what they were told (a pack of lies probably).

Bella was 7 months old (not true based on eye color and a vet visit confirmed this). The bird was plucking due to stress of a dog in the household it came from (no way to know if true or not).

I asked to hold the bird and they unlocked the cage and let me pick her up. She immediately ran up my arm to perch on my shoulder.

After we left I could not stop thinking about the poor bird. How it must feel in a buzzy store. Kids and dogs running around making noise ect ect.

We bought Bella around the end of October 2016. In the beginning she did not talk much just lots of sound effects. Of the things she said when we first got her the saddest was “I’m sick of you” said in a whispering sort of voice.:(

I know she does not understand the words but I do think she would be able to read/sense/feel the emotions behind what was said. I have a video of her saying this I may upload on of these days.

But as her feathers are growing back in so her verbal vocabulary is expanding almost on a daily basis.

Going to work, Be a good bird, I love you, I miss you
just to name a few sayings.

I think sound effects are her specialty. Doorbell, Microwave, Opening of a soda can, Knocking on a door, Barking like a dog, Drinking and swallowing water (this one makes me crack up and choke when trying to take my prescription pills) I am glad she is nowhere near the bathroom LOL.

It’s still early days in Bella’s story. I am still working on learning her body language. She has given me a few nips now and then but so far nothing I would call an outright bite.

Bella gets along well with my Son and I. My wife is too afraid of the beak. I think parrots know when you are afraid of them and react differently to this. In Bella’s case she tries (successfully) to intimidate the person that is afraid.

So that is Bella’s story so far. I re-homed an unwanted and mistreated parrot (I’m sick of you indeed) and she is in a loving home well on her way to recovery.
texsize

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank-you, for taking in Bella and providing her with a forever home! A home that she has quickly come to know that she is part of and will be part of for a very long time.

And, yes! She, like so many other Parrots under stand the rule of the pecking order and, when someone shows signs of fear, its an automatic step higher for them.

Again, thank-you for providing Bella's Story, it is helpful on just some many levels!.

Last edited:

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Drinking and swallowing water (this one makes me crack up and choke when trying to take my prescription pills) I am glad she is nowhere near the bathroom LOL.
Thank you. I had a good chuckle. I expect there will be many more.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good on ya for taking Bella in. You should post that video, wrenching at it might be. No pun intended. Also pics of Bella as her feathers come back. Thats your happy meter , I guess?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I remember when you debated rescuing Bella last year. What an outstanding success story, and you have not yet seen the peak of her appearance and capabilities!

Parrots most certainly use their size and beak to intimidate. In my experience, no bird does this to greater effect than a macaw! Greys, however, have the intelligence to use every little trick to great advantage.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Good on ya for taking Bella in. You should post that video, wrenching at it might be. No pun intended. Also pics of Bella as her feathers come back. Thats your happy meter , I guess?

I have a picture that shows her chest feathers coming in. I hope to post it in the African grey thread as a Bella Update this weekend.

I need to edit the video. It's over a minuet long and most of it is just wasted time. Bella does not like to talk much when the camera is on her.
texsize

Last edited:

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles
She's beautiful. It's so exciting to see their feathers come back. Jasper has 1 feather in the middle of his chest and 1 that's near his wing pit that's grown in. I can't wait for more to come in. How long did it take for those to come in?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
She's beautiful. It's so exciting to see their feathers come back. Jasper has 1 feather in the middle of his chest and 1 that's near his wing pit that's grown in. I can't wait for more to come in. How long did it take for those to come in?

I did not notice any improvement for about 2 months. November and December. In January I noticed new pin feathers on her chest.
I think the new feather growth is tied closely with molting. She has been loosing the feathers that were cut to keep her from flying (these feathers look very different from a fully grown feather).
It takes time but I am hopeful she will make a full recovery.
texsize

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I so love a great success story! Bella is a beauty, thank you for giving her the home, love and attention she deserves. I know she will continue to thrive. Thanks for sharing the journey so far.

lac575

Aug 16, 2018
Talent, OR
Parrots
1 Senegal parrot (Poicephalus senegalus)
Aww, so lucky that you found each other. How sad her story used to be. Yay for adopting older, wonderful birds. Good for you!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for helping this poor bird.

My Lucy came to me saying “shut up!” And “knock it off! Get down right now!” She was an unhappy little bird with lots of issues. But I think she became a happy bird. I worked so she never heard “shut up!” again. (She did learn to say “be quiet!” and “whisper”.)

Most Reactions

Latest posts