so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have seen a number of new threads with birds having seizures. It looks like Bingo can be added to the list.

I have been watching Bingo closely since his vet vet visit and blood test.
I was thinking he was maybe in pain but how can you tell.
His claws were trimmed very short and blunt and he can't seem to hold on to my shoulder.
He has trouble climbing up to the top of his cage playtop perch. I was thinking arthritis in his feet or just too short nails.

Anyway this morning he fell forward off his dragonwood perch and sort of into the bars of the front of his cage. His right wing was extended and his right foot was extended and his toes were in a tight fist.
I opened his cage and supported him from his right foot and chest to keep him from falling.
He seemed disoriented and even let my Son approach him without the normal angry reaction .
Afterwards he took a nap and is now acting normally.

Bingo has fallen from his perch in the past but it was always at night and I was never there to see it happen.

I have read through googling that seizures are not that uncommon in Amazon parrots.

But the testing that is recommended for birds with seizures (EEG & CT scan) are things I don't think my vet offers.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Oh Wes, hope Bingo is recovering well. You're right about several other seizure issues. So many causes and limited diagnostics. Very few vets offer imaging beyond traditional X-Rays and ultrasounds - both useless for brain scans.

Let us hope Bingo does not become prone to frequent seizing. There are meds available if the vet believes there is sufficient evidence to prescribe.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I may have missed this, but have you had liver levels tested via a liver panel? Liver issues can cause seizures and these seizures CAN be prevented if you know that it is liver related via lacTUlose (NOT LACTOSE). Have you run a blood panel or specific liver panel?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have nothing to offer Wes..just prayers it's a one time thing. :eek:

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I may have missed this, but have you had liver levels tested via a liver panel? Liver issues can cause seizures and these seizures CAN be prevented if you know that it is liver related via lacTUlose (NOT LACTOSE). Have you run a blood panel or specific liver panel?

The blood test Bingo had was just a CBC. I did ask for liver function cuz I know Amazons can get fatty liver disease.
I posted the blood test results in a early thread. I will try to put in a link.

http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/89164-bingo-s-blood-test.html

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am not seeing AST or anything specific to the liver. I mean, some of these values could be used to infer things, but it doesn't look like a liver panel.

You should probably make sure you aren't feeding too much protein, as that can cause issues. I will do some research and see if I can help.

Have you considered visceral gout? It's different from regular...I am not a vet again, but that is something that came up in my searches. I am still looking and I could be TOTALLY wrong.

Here is a good overview of blood work etc- http://avianmedicine.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/11.pdf

Certain mites (Epidermoptid mites)" may cause hyperkeratosis,hypouricemia and feather loss. Infections are mostcommon around the head and neck and appear to beseverely pruritic". <---the "
hypouricemia" is low uric acid.

High uric acid is normally associated with typical gout, but there are some exceptions..I am not done searching-- just throwing stuff out there.

Here is another medical journal talking about low uric acid in relation to bone issues (cysts, tumors etc-- not cancerous necessarily) https://vetmed.illinois.edu/mmitch/pdf/psittacine.pdf

This may or may not apply, but it's a good overview of issues relating to diagnostics etc-- granted, U A was low in yours, the basics may help: https://vetspace.2ndchance.info/bir...-parrot-and-other-birds-avian-kidney-disease/

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Huge comfortable (summer time) Amazon Feather hugs and prayers Wes!

There are few things that leaves one helpless than to experience your Amazon suffers a seizure. While they are experiencing the seizure comforting them helps and you're being with them supports them as they are recovering as we can help with their disorientation. I'm here for you

We have had a Blue-Fronted and a Yellow-Nape that suffered seizure. Modern Medical care really has not advanced greatly in this area and high-end testing is limited to major cities. With great luck(?), both of our Amazon's had issues with their Liver and targeting their Liver issues helped. Sadly, it's been far too many years for me to recall the medication used. But, I do recall pulling their diets to what is covered in the Amazon sub-forum Thread regarding diet for an Amazon (I Love Amazons )

Night falls, IMHO, are also linked to their sleeping far deeper than their member's in their natural range. I find that Julio loves to sleep in our high back chair with side wings as he can set into one side and the back and nest down and sleep long and deeply.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh, Wes - I'm sending all my best healing thoughts to Bingo.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)