so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This is an update on Bingo but it's also a bit more.

Bingo's health is just ok.
He still sneezes once and a while. Maybe 5/6 a day.
TBH he makes a kind of loud noise that is half cough and half sneeze. He does this less often than the plain sneeze.
This is something new that I don't remember from last year.

For those folks new to Bingo's saga . I have had Bingo in to see two different vets over 3 years every winter.
We go through this every year and that's why I may sound blasé about it.

Bingo has been picking at his shoulder (his left) .
I have seen this pattern of picking in other parrots Not sure if it is due to joint pain or boredom.
I have been sticking to my new schedule of out of cage time with him about 80% of the time.
out of his cage twice a day and what he does is up to him.
Climb on his cage, sit in the window, or sit with me.
shoulder2.jpg

But things are about to change.
This new year is not started off well.
My father (has dementia and getting worse) was in/out of hospital .
First for a fall, nothing broken thank God.
then pneumonia.
He is at home and my stepmother wants some help.
They are ~12 hour drive away (one way)
I want very much to take/be able to take Bingo with me.
No one at home here can handle Bingo. Or to afraid to even use a perch for moving.
But I am afraid of taking him with me.
First is Bingo's health and exposer to cold weather during the trip,
My Father has a cat.
I don't trust my stepmother to not use Teflon.
To not use smelly perfume.
To not do the hundreds of things us parronts take for granted.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Guess I forgot to mention I am leaving tomorrow.

It's not all a downer.
Here is a picture taken from his place.
15 acers and a beautiful view.
Red tailed hawks are known to soar along the updrafts his hill produces in the evening.
Love watching the big birds but most of my Fids wiould have a different opinion.

20160404_084652.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would make the step mom agree, in writing, to abide by your preconditions for providing the help. Forgive me, but this sounds like the 'help' may be a permanent situation? Dementia is not a condition that gets better with time. I dont think asking for your conditions and Bingo's are going to be life changers for your dad and step mom.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I loss my dear Mother to the extended effects of dementia three years ago l November last. I must admit that I enjoyed our time together remembering the old days and just being around her. Happy that you are going, enjoy the moments as you will not have another opportunity again.

Family can be a true pain and they tend to be stuck in their ways and rarely willing to change. Her asking for help may also be as a result of her having ever more difficulties with memory or physical issues. Have an open mine to both of their issues. Take note of ailments, but do not confront them at this point. Work a completing an evaluation as to their short and longterm needs and they ability to afford in-home care. And, to that point find-out what is available in their area. You may be surprised what is available in rural areas as Counties and Townships tend to be more a tune to the needs of their older citizens. Visit the their offices and ask. Your will be surprised at what just maybe available.

Your Amazon just may surprise you! Remember they pick-up on emotions fast.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Geez such a predicament Wes :confused: Wish I lived closer then Bingo could hang out with Amy..we all know how much Amy likes to make new friends,and I can handle a chomp or two from an Amazon.
I wish you all the luck my friend.

Jim

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thanks for your support and understanding.
No one up there understands how it makes me feel when I have to leave Bingo (or any of my Fids for that matter) for long.

It's an incredibly complicated issue.
Does anyone know how someone with bad hearing and dependent on hearing aids would cope with screaming amazon parrots?

My dad's hearing is just fine. After the 2nd AHH Ahh scream from any of my green birds and he will be wanting to cook them over a slow fire. My father has very little tolerance for loud noise.

Bingo is the least noisy and most laid back hard to upset bird I have and the one most in need of my direct care.

I do have a semi-hard return by date due to some medical test I have scheduled for early Feb.

I still be checking in on PF but updates on the Fids will be scarce for a time.

Wes

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Thanks for your support and understanding.
No one up there understands how it makes me feel when I have to leave Bingo (or any of my Fids for that matter) for long.

It's an incredibly complicated issue.
Does anyone know how someone with bad hearing and dependent on hearing aids would cope with screaming amazon parrots?

My dad's hearing is just fine. After the 2nd AHH Ahh scream from any of my green birds and he will be wanting to cook them over a slow fire. My father has very little tolerance for loud noise.

Bingo is the least noisy and most laid back hard to upset bird I have and the one most in need of my direct care.

I do have a semi-hard return by date due to some medical test I have scheduled for early Feb.

I still be checking in on PF but updates on the Fids will be scarce for a time.

Wes
I understand completely about "screaming". I am lucky also that Amy is not your typical Amazon. He NEVER screams,unless Beebs bites his toes in aggravation when Amy is on his roof. ( I keep warning Amy he's gonna get chomped on if he keeps it up but you think he listens??)
BB on the other hand is pretty quiet most of the day,he does his happy sounds in the morning,but when my brother comes home BB makes what David calls SCREAMING...you having a couple 'tiels I'm sure you know what I mean,I don't call it screaming but its constant tweets and chirps and songs and it drives my brother nuts,he just wants to relax and watch tv. I hear him yelling at BB to STFU I'm gonna throw you out the door. I try to explain BB is happy to see him,but David can't stand him ( He doesn't try to interact with BB coz he growls and bites him,will sit on his shoulder for a few minutes then fly to me)

Sounds like your Dad and my bro are alike in a way. :confused:

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Excruciatingly difficult situation, Wes. I wish you and your family peace and strength during challenging times. Do your very best and you'll be at comfort years down the road.

Most Reactions

Latest posts