Bird agressive to anything that comes near me.

Aprilxoxo

Dec 11, 2022
Parrots
Galah
Hi everyone. Ive had this 9yr old galah (Kiera) for a few months now and shes been quite the handfull. Usually it was her just not liking anyone, especially me since im her primary carer now. She wouldnt interact and when anyone got too close you got a serious bite. Shes do her get away from me sqwark and dance but this is all normal for her to be in a new home and family.

Ive slowly been gaining her trust. Sratches on the head through the cage bars to her walking out of the cage to ask for pats. But any wrong move i made i got a bite. If i put my hands in her cage i get a bite. Again i know this is pretty usual for her and she was progressing so well.

Then SUDDENLY. literally overnight, she has tuned into a cuddle monster. She climbes all over me, rubs her beak on me. Loves her pats and now i can do no wrong in her opinion. Even putting my entire arm in her cage with her and she just waddled on over and started the cuddles. She now follows me all over the room and sometimes calls for me.

The real problem is she is now possessive of me. The first day of her changes she also started chasing anyone and anything else that came near me. My other pets get chased and bitten if i pat them, and she circles around me to prevent them from coming near me if shes there, and even my sister toes were not spared when she dared to speak to me.
I think it might be hormones so how would one go about calming her down and how do i get her to stop being unnecessarily aggressive.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
If its hormonal behavior, you can do a few things to reduce but not eliminate.
  1. No touching anywhere but the head and neck
  2. Reduce or eliminate sugar bearing foods, like corn and fruits
  3. 12 hours of solid, quite sleep
  4. Lots of activities to keep her busy
If its hormones, remember - This Too Shall Pass!

OP
Aprilxoxo

Aprilxoxo

Dec 11, 2022
Parrots
Galah
If its hormonal behavior, you can do a few things to reduce but not eliminate.
  1. No touching anywhere but the head and neck
  2. Reduce or eliminate sugar bearing foods, like corn and fruits
  3. 12 hours of solid, quite sleep
  4. Lots of activities to keep her busy
If its hormones, remember - This Too Shall Pass!
Thank you. I will do this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts