Bird blankly staring?

MeadowTheKeet

Sep 3, 2021
Parrots
Meadow
I had Meadow sitting on my computer like I usually do, but suddenly she was in some sort of trance and wasnā€™t responding to me.

She wouldnā€™t step up or even look at any treats (usually she canā€™t help but look). She didnā€™t look like she was trembling or going to fall either. This went away after a few seconds, but Iā€™m afraid itā€™s a seizure from what Iā€™ve seen online. She acted completely normal afterwards. My avian vet isnā€™t accepting any birds right now because of current events.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I tend to panic easily if I notice any new behavior and I donā€™t know if this is normal.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Was Meadow staring directly at the monitor? I have on few occasions noticed one or more birds in my flock apparently distracted for short period. Any idea of her age or past history?

OP
MeadowTheKeet

MeadowTheKeet

Sep 3, 2021
Parrots
Meadow
Was Meadow staring directly at the monitor? I have on few occasions noticed one or more birds in my flock apparently distracted for short period. Any idea of her age or past history?
I believe sheā€™s 5, and she was on top of the monitor, not directly in front of it. She was staring in front of her, and I was too focused on her to see what she was looking at. In terms of past history, she hasnā€™t done something like this. Usually if she doesnā€™t want to leave sheā€™ll just refuse to step up but she still looks like sheā€™s seeing me

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sometimes they just zone out. My little amazon will sometimes stare into space ( or what looks like it) studying who knows what. A minute or 2 and he suddenly takes notice of me and what ever I'm doing. Seizures usually have some after effects, which your 'keet doesn't seem to be displaying. Also, taking him to a regular vet is pretty pointless, most dog and cat vets have minimal clues about parrots. If this continues to happen and you see the aftereffects of a seizure, take him to a certified avian vet, who will be able to fully diagnose and help your parakeet.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great advise above! Parrots will from time to time take a mental rest. Like a Nap, but with their eyes open. Kind of like Zoning Out, as stated above. It is one of the reasons that it is so important that when one wants their Parrot to step-up that the Parrot acknowledges your request.

Great point regarding medical care from a non-Avian Medical Professional.

Most Reactions

Latest posts