Bird Freaking Out!

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Although I have had a Cockatoo in the past, this is my first time with a Conure. He is 9 weeks old and as sweet as can be. Hand holding, Step Up, Petting, Laying on his back in my hand; everything he does is as tame as can be.

When I got him last week I had to place him in a small temporary cage as my large cage was still in transit.
Yesterday, the new cage came and after putting it together and placing toys, water/food, I placed Buddy inside. He immediately took to the cage. He played within the first five minutes, ate and drank more than I ever saw. He then played some more.
I cleaned up and ran the vacuum cleaner. Nothing seems to bother this bird as he kept playing/eating while I ran the vacuum (first time using vacuum around him).

After about an hour, I went to take him out of his cage and he started freaking out at my hand. He eventually stepped up but every time my hand got near him he went to bite and scream. After talking to him a bit, he sat on my chest in the chair. I petted him but every time he saw my finger he panicked.

It was like a totally different bird from before. Any ideas? Vacuum cleaner?
I realize that birds can be moody, but this was a huge transition in such a short time for a 9 week old. He was acting as if he had been abused.

Now this morning he appears to being back to his "old" self. No biting or freaking when I took him out of his cage.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Clark has had experiences like this in the past...

Sometimes the plain and simple fact is, birds although brilliant can also just act insane at times, especially conures with their inbred attention seeking behavior.

My advice; don't shy away from anything you were doing before, and try to ignore it. It might just be his way of getting a rise out of you. You don't want to encourage it. Say "enough" in a bored voice and the problem will probably just go away as quick as it started.

:gcc:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I have decided with Syd that logic isn't too relevant - at least my female human logic! I have got now that I just accept that he is changeable. Sometimes he is soft and cuddly then he really isn't.

Give him space, he probably doesn't know what his problem is either. Oh I have just had a thought. Did you look different? I suddenly remember Syd being very worried as if he didn't recognise me if I wore different hairstyle, colour top or glasses or not. All sorts of things made him really unsure that I was me.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My Nanday, Finley, gets all freaked out sometimes for no reason when I ask him to step up. He'll back away and hiss, scream and get ready to strike...and if I continue my actions he will bite (not very hard luckily). So when he acts like that I just back off and let him cool down for a second (literally) and then he'll step up normally like nothing happened. It's really really strange but that's just how they are sometimes!

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Thanks for the advice. It happened again (sort of) last night around the same time as the previous night.
He is so anxious to be with me so after awhile in his cage, he came out and sat with me. When my hand would go near him, he'd freak a little but not too bad this time. And he didn't bite. He acted like he was going to; in fact he would just bump his beak on my hand.
Then he played with my shirt and was fine.
During the day he doesn't show any signs of this behavior at all.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Kermit has her moods where she wants to be cuddled/handled (usually in the morning when she's first let out) and moods where she wants to sit on a shoulder and not be touched... and other moments still where she wants to play on top of her cage and ignore you. I call her 'no touch' moods "shoulder ornament mode" and do my best to respect her birdie boundaries. So far that system is working out.

If you think Syd is panicked and not playful, I'd recommend trying to respect his wishes and find things to do together without the use of hands.

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Kermit has her moods where she wants to be cuddled/handled (usually in the morning when she's first let out) and moods where she wants to sit on a shoulder and not be touched... and other moments still where she wants to play on top of her cage and ignore you. I call her 'no touch' moods "shoulder ornament mode" and do my best to respect her birdie boundaries. So far that system is working out.

If you think Syd is panicked and not playful, I'd recommend trying to respect his wishes and find things to do together without the use of hands.

Thanks. Am starting to see a trend with Buddy. He gets in these moods around 6:00 pm every night. Not sure why. He did it again last night BUT these events are not as severe as the first one four days ago.

Wondering if it's just sleep time for him. Usually he is very anxious to come out of his cage. But last night he was very reluctant to come out. I didn't force him, naturally, but when he did come out he was in that mood.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Well at out house we have nicknamed 6pm as "bite o'clock" because that's often the time with our baby Finley starts getting nippy.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
being it's the same time happening each day and he is still a baby it could very well be sleepy tantrum time, if he isn't napping during the day it could be that he's just got cranky and tired and having a tantrum, is there a chance that his cage could be covered a bit longer in the morning?

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
being it's the same time happening each day and he is still a baby it could very well be sleepy tantrum time, if he isn't napping during the day it could be that he's just got cranky and tired and having a tantrum, is there a chance that his cage could be covered a bit longer in the morning?

After going through this for a week, I am inclined to agree 100% with you (and others).
Last night was the worse yet. Came home at 5:00pm and let him out. He was fine. Around 6:00, it was like someone threw a switch. He was on his playground and started getting mad at all his toys. He attacked his ball/bell like an angry pit bull. He started chirping with a different sound an attitude. He bit me several times but still came on my hand. Wings flapping, hissing, nipping...just like a cranky, tired 2 year old.

I then put him back in his cage and within a couple of minutes he was in his hut. When I would walk near the cage, I got one of those "leave me alone squawks".

When I got him about 10 days ago, I did so purposely since I was on vacation then. My schedule is that I go out for awhile and come back mid morning and then go out later in the day.
So am trying to adapt him to this schedule. I cover his cage in early evening and although I leave early (in morning), I do not go into his room at all. When I come back home, it has now been 12 hours since covering him and out he comes.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

wait...how long is he covered? From what I am understanding you are covering him most of the day ( since you said you don't go in his room in the morning) until 5pm when you get home??!!!?!?!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
key point raised by sunny

Also something else. You mention he has a hut? Remove that IMMEDIATELY! 1. It could be the source of the attitude, those huts can force hormones to come out very early and make them stay on all the time. 2. They are the largest killer of pet parrots after Teflon cookware.

If he only get uncovered from 5PM it sounds like he has become territorial, you may have to start getting up an hour earlier in the morning to get him up and out for a moment while you get ready for work so he stops being so territorial over his cage. Being in the cage for such long periods can cross wire their little brains really badly and turn them into monsters

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
wait...how long is he covered? From what I am understanding you are covering him most of the day ( since you said you don't go in his room in the morning) until 5pm when you get home??!!!?!?!

Sorry for not clarifying...Please read my re-read my 3rd paragraph above. He is covered for 12 hours. I get home in mid morning for 3-4 hours in which he is out. I then go out for a few more hours and come back later in afternoon.

key point raised by sunny

Also something else. You mention he has a hut? Remove that IMMEDIATELY! 1. It could be the source of the attitude, those huts can force hormones to come out very early and make them stay on all the time. 2. They are the largest killer of pet parrots after Teflon cookware.

If he only get uncovered from 5PM it sounds like he has become territorial, you may have to start getting up an hour earlier in the morning to get him up and out for a moment while you get ready for work so he stops being so territorial over his cage. Being in the cage for such long periods can cross wire their little brains really badly and turn them into monsters

As mentioned above, he is covered for sleep for 12 hours. At the end of those 12 hours he is un-covered and out for 3-4 hours. He then goes back in his cage for about 4 hours until i return.

Since he is doing this a lot, am starting to believe it may be extra exuberance. Kind of like a kitten or puppy that plays roughly with built up energy.
He did it yesterday afternoon and in the evening. He is playing roughly (I think) since he will flap his wings, chirp and nip at my fingers...and then immediately, go under my hand and roll over on his back for me to scratch his belly. He'll stay this way for about 5', get up and run around flapping his wings, rolling over and then run up to my neck and snuggle in. He'll then run down and roll under my hand again and play peek-a-boo (kind of). He then may get up and softly nip my finger and the may bite harder and then run around again.

It just reminds me of a very playful kitten.

As far as the HUT, is it possible to have these hormones at 9 weeks old? I understand the dangers of the huts and I do inspect them every day.

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

My Finley was already "making love" to my hand at 12 weeks old so I'm going to go ahead and say yes to the hormones. It is spring.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
if it's a sleep issue clark lets me know when it's seepy time....yes seepy time.

He makes a racket but doesn't bite.

maybe he just needs to go to bed sooner.

If it's just nerves....that will go away too. Just relax, it's when you expect to get a bite you get bitten, when your totally relaxed and "blah, meh, your a cute bird" you will never get a bite.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Many parrots in the wild are often active early morning and late evening... as during mid-day, it's often too hot to do anything.

Some birds also get cranky near bed time... cockatiels are notorious for this! My conure is fine getting interaction any time of the day or night! My cockatiel on the other hand doesn't want to be bothered once she's gone to sleep... although she can be won over with scritches! ;)

Maybe he needs more activities during the day, too?

Most Reactions

Latest posts