Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ok.. so Iā€™m decades overdue for full spectrum lighting for my birds. But Iā€™m on it now! First, I have a couple questions that I canā€™t seem to find the answer to.

I see that they sell both ā€œfull spectrumā€ and UVB lights specifically made for the requirements of birds. Which one? Iā€™d guess that full spectrum is better, but then why do they make UVB only? (Zoo Med Avian sun).

It looks like these lamps are supposed to be one lamp per cage. For people with multiple cages, it would be ridiculous if not impractical (or impossible if not enough sockets) to give each cage their own light. So how many feet away approximately, are these things supposed to work? The bird room is around 10x13ā€™

Iā€™ve just set the birds up in this new room, and itā€™s not the brightest room so Iā€™d like to purchase something ASAP. I want to make sure Iā€™m getting the right type. Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Save your money for important things like bird toy!
STANDARD, LED daylight (or full spectrum) light bulbs is all you need!!!

This wonderful standard product, is a buy at any big box store or lighting store and they have them. It is important to look at average life of the bulb. The longer the stated life the more cost effective that bulb will be longterm.

Remember to not exceed the 'maximum' light bulb wattage of your light fixture, whether ceiling mounted or a simple lamp. Although the surface of the bulb of an LED light is bit cooler, the base is a bit hotter!

Consider having your ceiling lighting switch, upgraded to a 'dimmer' style as this will allow you to place the maximum light bulb for your fixture and you can reduce the overall brightness of the room as needed and as the day begins to end. The downside of LED Daylight bulbs is that whether it is 10:00 hours or 22:00 hours, you and your birds see it at 10:00 hours. Long story short, turn them back as nighttime arrives.

The overly expensive light are for reptiles not birds and can cause sunburn and loss of sight.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Save your money for important things like bird toy!
STANDARD, LED daylight (or full spectrum) light bulbs is all you need!!!

This wonderful standard product, is a buy at any big box store or lighting store and they have them. It is important to look at average life of the bulb. The longer the stated life the more cost effective that bulb will be longterm.

Remember to not exceed the 'maximum' light bulb wattage of your light fixture, whether ceiling mounted or a simple lamp. Although the surface of the bulb of an LED light is bit cooler, the base is a bit hotter!

Consider having your ceiling lighting switch, upgraded to a 'dimmer' style as this will allow you to place the maximum light bulb for your fixture and you can reduce the overall brightness of the room as needed and as the day begins to end. The downside of LED Daylight bulbs is that whether it is 10:00 hours or 22:00 hours, you and your birds see it at 10:00 hours. Long story short, turn them back as nighttime arrives.

The overly expensive light are for reptiles not birds and can cause sunburn and loss of sight.
Thank you! Iā€™m due for a new ceiling light in the room, so I will get one appropriate for the daylight bulbs and put a dimmer on it.

The info I found on the internet makes it sound like the bulb needs to be very close to the bird in order for it to have benefit. Thatā€™s the part Iā€™m really wondering about now, the ceiling light being too far away.

Also, how bright are these bulbs? Is one enough?

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
To my knowledge, the only receptors that Parrots have for simple UV is in their eyes. When natural lighting is limited to non-existent in a room, the addition of a 'full spectrum' daylight, LED bulb provides the source needed.

Very serious regarding backing the lights down as eventing approaches as having the LED bright into the eventing and night-time hours will mess with your body's clock and will effect your sleep schedule. This is also true for your Parrots.

How much light is first limited by the light fixture! Do not exceed the 'maximum' Watts statement for the light fixture. Remember that your light fixture can have more than one bulb. In such cases 60 watts can be an very bright in a three bulb fixture. Sadly, there are so may factors that to a degree you will find that you are experimenting with this first ceiling light fixture. Assure that you purchase LED bulbs designed to be dimmed! Start with the maximum Watt bulb size and dim back to what you find enjoyable.

What you are duplicating is a bright Sunny day at 12:00 hours (noon).

Last edited:
OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
To my knowledge, the only receptors that Parrots have for simple UV is in their eyes. When natural lighting is limited to non-existent in a room, the addition of a 'full spectrum' daylight, LED bulb provides the source needed.

Very serious regarding backing the lights down as eventing approaches as having the LED bright into the eventing and night-time hours will mess with your body's clock and will effect your sleep schedule. This is also true for your Parrots.

How much light is first limited by the light fixture! Do not exceed the 'maximum' Watts statement for the light fixture. Remember that your light fixture can have more than one bulb. In such cases 60 watts can be an very bright in a three bulb fixture. Sadly, there are so may factors that to a degree you will find that you are experimenting with this first ceiling light fixture. Assure that you purchase LED bulbs designed to be dimmed! Start with the maximum Watt bulb size and dim back to what you find enjoyable.

What you are duplicating is a bright Sunny day at 12:00 hours (noon).
Very helpful thank you!

Most Reactions