Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists + Sprouts

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Thanks! I posted it on my phone, so I wasn't sure how it turned out. I was worried about the image size, but unfortunately couldn't double check, haha :)

mismi_struck

May 17, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
Xingu and Mismi, white-winged parakeets 1.1.0
Not that I'm entirely looking for an easy way out, but has anyone tried these sprout seed mixes? They have differing seed mixes depending on the size of the bird.
Lil Bird Sprouts :green2:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I've heard of the website, but I've never personally ordered anything from them. I just bought lots of bulk sprouts myself and then made bag mixes based off of the sprouting times. Because I live in Canada, shipping always tends to be more expensive than the actual item I'm purchasing when it comes to my birds :( But otherwise, that looks pretty awesome! I'd totally buy it if I could.

I don't really see anything in there that sticks out as, "don't eat that!" If anything, I see a lot of what I have already purchased but a few I am unfamiliar with. I'm just always cautious when it's not made specifically for birds and certified through an avian veterinarian.

I'm also the perfect definition of my own word "parrotnoid" - if I don't know what it is, if I can't find 100% that it's safe, and if my avian vet says different, then forever gone from my life it is! It's amazing how your birds change your life forever :rolleyes:

OP
MonicaMc

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Hi Monica!

I've never used that company before, but I know many people who have and love them!

Did you see the second post in this thread with a link to suppliers? (I see I need to replace a lot of links, though!)

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...oods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html#post198996

China Prairie and ParrotXpress Online seem to have some of the best prices for sprouts, and Handy Pantry has some good prices as well. Looking back at Sprout People, although more expensive, they do have quite the variety of seeds in their products!

PS, Mismi is cute! I was asked to take in a canary wing (aka white wing) parakeet, but upon seeing this bird, found out she's an African Ringneck instead of canary wing (or a Poicephalus species! - people weren't sure what she was!).

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
WOW! Thank you so very much for this. Your time and efforts in comprising these lists is truly appreciated.
Big 'HUG & KISS' from my Larry :)

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Just thought I'd put up one of my little food lists here, hope it's helpful!

FOODCHART.png

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
ok possibly a dumb question but I see corn is in red why is that? I've been looking around to see if corn is actually beneficial to birds because recently I have come to understand that corn is not digestible to many animals including dogs and people so can birds digest corn??

peeko.the.eclectus

Dec 6, 2014
California
Parrots
Peeko (solomon island eclectus)
Marcia,
I think the problem with corn is that some birds may have an allergy to it, or just sensitive in general. Particularly for eclectus parrots it may cause wing flipping and toe tapping. It may be just a precaution to just not feed it to them. I've read this on other forum posts.

Does anyone know why papaya seeds are not safe? I've seen online that they are ok and actually love them more than the actual fruit (don't remember where i saw this).

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
Marcia,
I think the problem with corn is that some birds may have an allergy to it, or just sensitive in general. Particularly for eclectus parrots it may cause wing flipping and toe tapping. It may be just a precaution to just not feed it to them. I've read this on other forum posts.

Does anyone know why papaya seeds are not safe? I've seen online that they are ok and actually love them more than the actual fruit (don't remember where i saw this).

Really? I read on this forum, don't remember the thread name, about corn on the cob an excellent treat AND toy!

I've seen it on YouTube. There's a YouTube channel called Parrot Wizard, he goes to a foundation called Belize, and in the interview, the owner (I think, she's on a older lady) said that they love papaya seeds.

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Marcia,

I feed papaya and papaya seeds to my birds whenever papayas are in season... the seeds are fine and they LOVE them!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Ironically I was looking for something else and stumbled across these lists... Thank you! Excellent information!

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
1 baby peach front conure, named Jackie.
this is very informative.....as this is a learning experience for me....one nice thing about Mexico, all the food stores sell a lot of this in bulk, the nuts, the chia seeds, flax, etc, so I can buy a little at a time...can Macaws have a few peanuts, or is it best not to give to them? I know the current owner does give to her. He also gives her lots of sunflower seeds....

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
this is very informative.....as this is a learning experience for me....one nice thing about Mexico, all the food stores sell a lot of this in bulk, the nuts, the chia seeds, flax, etc, so I can buy a little at a time...can Macaws have a few peanuts, or is it best not to give to them? I know the current owner does give to her. He also gives her lots of sunflower seeds....

I only feed peanuts and sunflower seeds as treats or during training. They're not "bad" but they're very fatty and addicting, it's just like junk food. I put some whole in shell peanuts (human grade) in foraging toys and such, but that's pretty sparingly.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Well I feel like crap now....I've let Clark drink milk and he micro chirps when he drinks it, and he goes crazy for string cheese...I though it has vitamins, calcium, a little "good" fats would be fine. I never thought about the lactose and digestion etc. I noticed watery stool after that but he has that even when he's drinking filtered Ice cold water. And he never regurgitated or acted any different in the following minutes/hours.

Is this a Never kind of thing? Will a few sips once a week really be harming my conure? Or is it more, the poison is in the dose?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Well I feel like crap now....I've let Clark drink milk and he micro chirps when he drinks it, and he goes crazy for string cheese...I though it has vitamins, calcium, a little "good" fats would be fine. I never thought about the lactose and digestion etc. I noticed watery stool after that but he has that even when he's drinking filtered Ice cold water. And he never regurgitated or acted any different in the following minutes/hours.

Is this a Never kind of thing? Will a few sips once a week really be harming my conure? Or is it more, the poison is in the dose?

The only dairy my flock receives is a small bit of string cheese once weekly. Eight parrots consume about 1/2 a stick, the rest is mine! My AV who is an ABVP suggests this is just fine. Don't notice any difference with poop.

Many avian dietary restrictions are iron-clad, while others contain caveats. Can be a matter of frequency and amount, with or without seeds, etc.

Most Reactions