Bird showing questions.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Now I'm thinking how much fun it'd be to show the Rbird...
You KNOW he'd be the only Patagonian there!
He'd be a cinch!
Plus, he's definitely huge, even for a Patagonian, and has a comparatively big orange belly.
Hey, maybe finally something I could brag about!!!! Unless the judges penalize for noise...
?? He would eat the judge and the show would be over!

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
Absolutely, if the showing exists to show the natural beautiful state of the birds, then thats great, and keeping a lot of money out of it does help to keep those truly in it for the love of the birds around rather than those who ruin it for others looking for a quick buck. That can be said for anything though. I think for something like this its one of those things that its good its not a huge thing, because those dedicated to it are the ones involved.
By the way, I think someone mentioned NH because they thought you said thats where you live with "4H". What is 4H?
I do live in New Hampshire, 4H is amazing!

I can't speak for everyone when I say this, but I'll give you the low down on what I did.

School let out, I went straight to the farm where I learned about responsibility, feeding goats, and sheep and tiki and Diablo (the two horses.) milking goats, trimming hooves, bottle feeding the babies when the mother's were having problems producing milk, and the most fun part! Hanging out with them!

Since I showed goats I also brushed them, trained them to walk along side me.

If you are unfamiliar with goats they are extremely intelligent animals, my big boy was huge, and very aggressive towards anyone besides me, broke the owners ribs but I could do anything I wanted with him and he'd be fine being a herd animal they become very attached to their "herd" I was his which meant every day I had to go and feed him, if not he'd barely eat.

Another example of them being trained is one of our milk goats Wanda would purposely seek out the milk stand, as that's where she got her treats, and her own food (still ate with other goats.)

For the shows, you need a basic understanding of anatomy, but simple things like withers (highest part of their back, that you use for taking measurements.)

While this may sound like fun, and games there's a lot of heart ache involved, birth problems and illnesses, saying good bye to an animal you spent so much time with trying to save, like runts, and premature babies.

Think about it as boy scouts / girl scouts but for agriculture, for a short answer.

They even have camps for 4H.

Sorry for rambling but as you maybe able to tell it's a big passion of mine.

Maybe someone else can speak about their experiences in it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J321AZ using Tapatalk

Very interesting! Sounds fun, I dont know much about goats but Im not surprised to hear they bond strongly, many animals intelligence has been underestimated by "mainstream" life. Never knew or heard about this but it sounds like a good way to teach kids in school some good skills as well as respect for animals.. in NYC where I grew up some kids probably never even saw a real goat unless at the zoo. Thanks for sharing that.

OP
M

MutatedFungi

Nov 13, 2016
Absolutely, if the showing exists to show the natural beautiful state of the birds, then thats great, and keeping a lot of money out of it does help to keep those truly in it for the love of the birds around rather than those who ruin it for others looking for a quick buck. That can be said for anything though. I think for something like this its one of those things that its good its not a huge thing, because those dedicated to it are the ones involved.
By the way, I think someone mentioned NH because they thought you said thats where you live with "4H". What is 4H?
I do live in New Hampshire, 4H is amazing!

I can't speak for everyone when I say this, but I'll give you the low down on what I did.

School let out, I went straight to the farm where I learned about responsibility, feeding goats, and sheep and tiki and Diablo (the two horses.) milking goats, trimming hooves, bottle feeding the babies when the mother's were having problems producing milk, and the most fun part! Hanging out with them!

Since I showed goats I also brushed them, trained them to walk along side me.

If you are unfamiliar with goats they are extremely intelligent animals, my big boy was huge, and very aggressive towards anyone besides me, broke the owners ribs but I could do anything I wanted with him and he'd be fine being a herd animal they become very attached to their "herd" I was his which meant every day I had to go and feed him, if not he'd barely eat.

Another example of them being trained is one of our milk goats Wanda would purposely seek out the milk stand, as that's where she got her treats, and her own food (still ate with other goats.)

For the shows, you need a basic understanding of anatomy, but simple things like withers (highest part of their back, that you use for taking measurements.)

While this may sound like fun, and games there's a lot of heart ache involved, birth problems and illnesses, saying good bye to an animal you spent so much time with trying to save, like runts, and premature babies.

Think about it as boy scouts / girl scouts but for agriculture, for a short answer.

They even have camps for 4H.

Sorry for rambling but as you maybe able to tell it's a big passion of mine.

Maybe someone else can speak about their experiences in it?

Very interesting! Sounds fun, I dont know much about goats but Im not surprised to hear they bond strongly, many animals intelligence has been underestimated by "mainstream" life. Never knew or heard about this but it sounds like a good way to teach kids in school some good skills as well as respect for animals.. in NYC where I grew up some kids probably never even saw a real goat unless at the zoo. Thanks for sharing that.
Oh, 4H would work wonders in NYC not that I think everyone from there is bad, but it can be a bit rough from what I have seen.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Now I'm thinking how much fun it'd be to show the Rbird...
You KNOW he'd be the only Patagonian there!
He'd be a cinch!
Plus, he's definitely huge, even for a Patagonian, and has a comparatively big orange belly.
Hey, maybe finally something I could brag about!!!! Unless the judges penalize for noise...
?? He would eat the judge and the show would be over!

FOILED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the drawing board...

*sigh*

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Oh, 4H would work wonders in NYC not that I think everyone from there is bad, but it can be a bit rough from what I have seen.

As a former New Yorker who lived there most of his life, I can confirm with all confidence that not "everyone from there is bad". Like most everywhere else, it has its share of rough areas and unsavory elements. But most folks from thereabouts are good people.

Most Reactions

Latest posts