Bird snot??

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Hi all,

So my Quaker (7 mo) sneezed a few times in a row just now, and I got a little bit of snot splatter on me. She has always sneezed once in a while but this is the first time Iā€™ve noticed mucus. The feathers on her cere are a little wet. She appears to be eating and drinking water like normal. Her weight is also normal. Sheā€™s molting, but Iā€™m not sure that would have anything to do with it. Sheā€™s a little grumpy today, but ya knowā€¦ sheā€™s a Quaker. Do I have time to wait a couple days and see if this persists, or should I get her to the vet? Any other tips?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi all,

So my Quaker (7 mo) sneezed a few times in a row just now, and I got a little bit of snot splatter on me. She has always sneezed once in a while but this is the first time Iā€™ve noticed mucus. The feathers on her cere are a little wet. She appears to be eating and drinking water like normal. Her weight is also normal. Sheā€™s molting, but Iā€™m not sure that would have anything to do with it. Sheā€™s a little grumpy today, but ya knowā€¦ sheā€™s a Quaker. Do I have time to wait a couple days and see if this persists, or should I get her to the vet? Any other tips?
A birdie sized Kleenex? Seriously, from what I've read and from my own experiences you should take your birdie to an avian vet. I don't know if birds catch and recover from "colds" like people do, or if sneezing and mucus could be signs of the avian flu or something else but get him checked out soon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Okay, two steps back for a restart.

- Yes, it is very possible that your Parrot is starting with a bit of congestion that 'could' turn into a sinus /Airsack infection. Any continuation, and yes, set-up a visit to your Avian Medical Vet, ASAP!!

- But, if you live in the Great White North, it is very possible that your apartment /home may just as well be suffering from Low Relative Humidity as it is common for the sinus to develop more mucus than normal to add moisture to the incoming air to keep the sinus and airsacks moist and healthy. But, this can be a breeding ground for infections. Use a Relative Humidity device to check your home. You are looking for a 45 to 55% level.

Now, Avian Flu has Over-Wintered in North America in larger hot zones that during any of the prior years. But, since Migrations Season has 'Not Started' unless someone is near a hot zone, the risk of a 'indoor' Companion Parrot getting exposed is very low. When Migration Season begins, yes, more care should be taken.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)

- Yes, it is very possible that your Parrot is starting with a bit of congestion that 'could' turn into a sinus /Airsack infection. Any continuation, and yes, set-up a visit to your Avian Medical Vet, ASAP!!

- But, if you live in the Great White North, it is very possible that your apartment /home may just as well be suffering from Low Relative Humidity as it is common for the sinus to develop more mucus than normal to add moisture to the incoming air to keep the sinus and airsacks moist and healthy. But, this can be a breeding ground for infections. Use a Relative Humidity device to check your home. You are looking for a 45 to 55% level.

Now, Avian Flu has Over-Wintered in North America in larger hot zones that during any of the prior years. But, since Migrations Season has 'Not Started' unless someone is near a hot zone, the risk of a 'indoor' Companion Parrot getting exposed is very low. When Migration Season begins, yes, more care should be taken.
Our house does tend to be very dry. I spray her frequently and offer a plate of water a few times a week. I would do so more often but sheā€™s very fickle about it. I did just offer that and she jumped right in. It occurred to me that if itā€™s dry and she needs a bathā€¦ maybe sheā€™s sneezing at her own feather dust?

Iā€™ve been wanting to get a cool mist(?) humidifier for her and it might just be time.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Our house does tend to be very dry. I spray her frequently and offer a plate of water a few times a week. I would do so more often but sheā€™s very fickle about it. I did just offer that and she jumped right in. It occurred to me that if itā€™s dry and she needs a bathā€¦ maybe sheā€™s sneezing at her own feather dust?

Iā€™ve been wanting to get a cool mist(?) humidifier for her and it might just be time.

Highly reccomend an evaporative humidifier, we got ours from Aircare. Itā€™s been a life changer!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Do you know what the model name of yours is? :)
5D6700! Itā€™s ridiculously simple to use and clean. Only moving part is the fan. We replace filters when they look gross or when itā€™s been a couple months, whatever happens first. I empty the tank and rinse everything 3x a week. I do a vinegar rinse and a wipe down once a week or so, and have never had any issues.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

How long should someone wait to get a bird to the CAV if a bird is sneezing with mucus? Correcting humidity problems is very important but, knowing how quickly a sick bird can get sicker, wouldn't the CAV be the first thing to do?
Also, is it possible to bring avian flu virus into your home via chicken eggs? Can there be virus on the shells? Rocky likes scrambled eggs and I give him a small amount a couple times a week because I think its good for him. But not if it can make him sick!
Do you know what the model name of yours is? :)
I work part time at Lowes and they carry Aircare humidifiers. We sell two models and you need to get one sized for your room. Keep in mind that if you have high ceilings you need to get a bigger unit- square feet alone isn't the only factor. The larger one well sell is about $175 (3.5 gal) and the small one is $125. I would go with the big one unless your room is very small.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
How long should someone wait to get a bird to the CAV if a bird is sneezing with mucus? Correcting humidity problems is very important but, knowing how quickly a sick bird can get sicker, wouldn't the CAV be the first thing to do?
Also, is it possible to bring avian flu virus into your home via chicken eggs? Can there be virus on the shells? Rocky likes scrambled eggs and I give him a small amount a couple times a week because I think its good for him. But not if it can make him sick!

I work part time at Lowes and they carry Aircare humidifiers. We sell two models and you need to get one sized for your room. Keep in mind that if you have high ceilings you need to get a bigger unit- square feet alone isn't the only factor. The larger one well sell is about $175 (3.5 gal) and the small one is $125. I would go with the big one unless your room is very small.

I will quote the FDA here:

Yes. The likelihood that eggs from infected poultry are found in the retail market is low and proper storage and preparation further reduce the risk. In 2010, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) participated in a joint risk assessment with the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) to examine the human health impact of HPAI in poultry, shell eggs, and egg products. The risk assessment determined that the risk of humans becoming infected with HPAI through the consumption of contaminated shell eggs is low. For instance, when a case of HPAI is detected in the US, the chance of infected poultry or eggs entering the food chain is low because of the rapid onset of symptoms in poultry as well as the safeguards in place, which include testing of flocks and federal inspection programs.

Scrambled cooks the egg all the way through. Federal flock regulations mean that if a commercial flock has a single bird die, and it tests positive for H5N1, the entire flock is euthanized, and the eggs they were producing donā€™t go to market. H1N5 kills fast, in a matter of days - so the likelihood of eggs from infected birds ever reaching grocery store shelves is pretty low.

If you feed shells as a calcium supplement, boil them. High temps damage the proteins and nucleic acid.

In this study, they tested feces at 42 C (roughly 107 F) and the virus was undetectable by PCR after about 18 hours. The boiling temp of water is 212, which is significantly higher. It is unlikely to survive at this temperature, but Iā€™m not a scientist and donā€™t have a study handy, so that is a risk you will have to decide upon yourself.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I

I will quote the FDA here:

Scrambled cooks the egg all the way through. Federal flock regulations mean that if a commercial flock has a single bird die, and it tests positive for H5N1, the entire flock is euthanized, and the eggs they were producing donā€™t go to market. H1N5 kills fast, in a matter of days - so the likelihood of eggs from infected birds ever reaching grocery store shelves is pretty low.

If you feed shells as a calcium supplement, boil them. High temps damage the proteins and nucleic acid.

In this study, they tested feces at 42 C (roughly 107 F) and the virus was undetectable by PCR after about 18 hours. The boiling temp of water is 212, which is significantly higher. It is unlikely to survive at this temperature, but Iā€™m not a scientist and donā€™t have a study handy, so that is a risk you will have to decide upon yourself.
I don't really worry too much or I'd drive myself nuts but since eggs come out of chickens' vents and the eggs can't be treated with high heat after laying or the egg would partially cook I wonder if virus could be on the surface of the shell, especially if I get my eggs from local people who keep chickens. I want to avoid grocery store eggs because I have issues with the commercial poultry and egg industry.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
They have a lot of options when it comes to grocery eggs now (free range or pasture raised). There are different institutions that verify this info, so not all ā€œpastureā€ or ā€œfree rangeā€ eggs are created equal:

However, it is certainly more possible perhaps than it has ever been to purchase ethically sourced eggs commercially.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
They have a lot of options when it comes to grocery eggs now (free range or pasture raised). There are different institutions that verify this info, so not all ā€œpastureā€ or ā€œfree rangeā€ eggs are created equal:

However, it is certainly more possible perhaps than it has ever been to purchase ethically sourced eggs commercially.
Thanks for all this valuable information.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

That is a great question as it plays to time of year as in the Summer, this would be a sign to go to the Avian Vet ASAP. With Winter and a dry home, it plays a bit longer because of the issue of low Humidity levels. This week Wednesday, if still an issue, yes on ones way to an Avian Vet.

I admire your concern regarding Avian Flu as it is deadly for Parrots!
IF, one has free roaming chickens, one should be practicing, safe separation, especially if a hot zone is nearby. Your question regarding chicken eggs imply you have chickens and you should be following, safe practices, as outlined by your State Ag Agency. With cooking eggs, in your case, scrambled eggs, there would not be transfer as your Parrot is eating a cooked egg.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That is a great question as it plays to time of year as in the Summer, this would be a sign to go to the Avian Vet ASAP. With Winter and a dry home, it plays a bit longer because of the issue of low Humidity levels. This week Wednesday, if still an issue, yes on ones way to an Avian Vet.

I admire your concern regarding Avian Flu as it is deadly for Parrots!
IF, one has free roaming chickens, one should be practicing, safe separation, especially if a hot zone is nearby. Your question regarding chicken eggs imply you have chickens and you should be following, safe practices, as outlined by your State Ag Agency. With cooking eggs, in your case, scrambled eggs, there would not be transfer as your Parrot is eating a cooked egg.
I wanted to get a few chickens but won't because of my concern about diseases and parasites but I can get fresh eggs from friends who do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts