Bird squeaks back, all right!

Fluttershy

May 28, 2023
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Green-Cheek Conure, undecided on a name
Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum but not to bird ownership. I’ve had a bonded pair of sunnies named Cosmo and Wanda, two cockatiels named Flapper and Ozzy, and as of yesterday I have brought home a beautiful green cheek Conure that so far remains nameless. (I feel bad but I like to watch their behavior and personality traits for a few days to settle on a name.) My four prior birds have all unfortunately flown up to the rainbow bridge over the past two decades, and so this little green cheek is currently the only bird in the house.
If possible, I was hopeful I could get some opinions on some of the names I’ve been bouncing around, as well as any hints or tricks to guessing a conure’s gender without having them DNA sexed. S/he is a very goofy and energetic little thing, likes to dangle upside down, chew on all of his/her toys, and despite having never been handled according to the pet store, s/he was climbing in my hand and letting me scritch his/her head on day one. With him/her having such a bright and friendly personality combined with a goofy playful nature, I really wanna find a name that kinda reflects how cool this little dude is. Any thoughts would be more than welcome!
Very excited to be a part of this forum, been reading posts for awhile but just kind of lurking in the background. Glad to be here and hope to get to know some fellow bird people!

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpeg
    IMG_1809.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 29

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you and your new baby, what a beauty!
What names have you been thinking about?
Other than DNA, there really isn't a way to tell their sex with any accuracy. It's a pretty simple process and when you take her/him to the vet they could test easily for you:)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your other birds, but I'm glad that you now have this adorable baby to love.
I'm so happy that you decided to join us and I'm looking forward to watching your journey with your new sweetheart:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum but not to bird ownership. I’ve had a bonded pair of sunnies named Cosmo and Wanda, two cockatiels named Flapper and Ozzy, and as of yesterday I have brought home a beautiful green cheek Conure that so far remains nameless. (I feel bad but I like to watch their behavior and personality traits for a few days to settle on a name.) My four prior birds have all unfortunately flown up to the rainbow bridge over the past two decades, and so this little green cheek is currently the only bird in the house.
If possible, I was hopeful I could get some opinions on some of the names I’ve been bouncing around, as well as any hints or tricks to guessing a conure’s gender without having them DNA sexed. S/he is a very goofy and energetic little thing, likes to dangle upside down, chew on all of his/her toys, and despite having never been handled according to the pet store, s/he was climbing in my hand and letting me scritch his/her head on day one. With him/her having such a bright and friendly personality combined with a goofy playful nature, I really wanna find a name that kinda reflects how cool this little dude is. Any thoughts would be more than welcome!
Very excited to be a part of this forum, been reading posts for awhile but just kind of lurking in the background. Glad to be here and hope to get to know some fellow bird people!
Welcome to the forurms, @Fluttershy, I’m so sorry for your losses, we here certainly know how much they hurt. But I'm very glad you decided to step out of the shadows and introduce us to that gorgeous baby, s/he is just too precious!! 😍

OP
Fluttershy

Fluttershy

May 28, 2023
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Welcome to you and your new baby, what a beauty!
What names have you been thinking about?
Other than DNA, there really isn't a way to tell their sex with any accuracy. It's a pretty simple process and when you take her/him to the vet they could test easily for you:)

I'm so sorry for the loss of your other birds, but I'm glad that you now have this adorable baby to love.
I'm so happy that you decided to join us and I'm looking forward to watching your journey with your new sweetheart:)
They were all excellent little buddies and I’ll always miss them, but we had a lot of great years together. 🥲

I have thought about getting him/her DNA sexed, but I live in a pretty rural area and while there are vets around here that can treat birds, I’m a little hesitant to subject the little guy to the stress of all of it, if there’s no actual medical reason other than just curiosity. My old man (has had probably 12 cockatiels over his 60 years) has always said ‘They’re a male until they lay an egg.’ 😂

Right now the names I’ve been kinda playing with are Tobias (Toby for short), Jasper, Luca, Peeko, or Avery. I literally pulled up an internet list of 100 bird names and just started saying them to the little guy to see which ones he would react to the best and these appear to be his top five. Peeko and Toby have had the best response but I’m also open to other suggestions too. If I knew for sure she was female I might even consider Elphaba since s/he is green and likes to hang upside down in the cage, ‘defying gravity’ 🤣
Thanks for the warm welcome!!

OP
Fluttershy

Fluttershy

May 28, 2023
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Welcome to the forurms, @Fluttershy, I’m so sorry for your losses, we here certainly know how much they hurt. But I'm very glad you decided to step out of the shadows and introduce us to that gorgeous baby, s/he is just too precious!! 😍
Isn’t s/he? I couldn’t believe how friendly and gorgeous this one is, and so so full of personality! Also stunningly quiet for a conure…Cosmo and Wanda would often sing me the song of their people all hours of the day, so I expected loud loud LOUD and knew what I was signing up for lol. But this one? So far only one or two loud cries, and a few little honks and quacks under their breath, but very soft spoken so far. It’s insane to me haha, I think I’ve won the green cheek lottery

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They were all excellent little buddies and I’ll always miss them, but we had a lot of great years together. 🥲

I have thought about getting him/her DNA sexed, but I live in a pretty rural area and while there are vets around here that can treat birds, I’m a little hesitant to subject the little guy to the stress of all of it, if there’s no actual medical reason other than just curiosity. My old man (has had probably 12 cockatiels over his 60 years) has always said ‘They’re a male until they lay an egg.’ 😂

Your Dad is right...haha!

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but we have a Avian Vet Resource thread. Perhaps you could find a vet close to you who actually sees birds? We have to drive an hour away, but it's so worth it when you can find a good vet:)

Right now the names I’ve been kinda playing with are Tobias (Toby for short), Jasper, Luca, Peeko, or Avery. I literally pulled up an internet list of 100 bird names and just started saying them to the little guy to see which ones he would react to the best and these appear to be his top five. Peeko and Toby have had the best response but I’m also open to other suggestions too. If I knew for sure she was female I might even consider Elphaba since s/he is green and likes to hang upside down in the cage, ‘defying gravity’ 🤣
Thanks for the warm welcome!!

All the names you're thinking of are awesome, and I especially love Tobias/Toby! Tobias can be reserved for if he's naughty:) We call my Pionus Talli until he gets into something and then it's "Metallica, you stop that!" :ROFLMAO:

OP
Fluttershy

Fluttershy

May 28, 2023
Media
Iowa
Parrots
Your Dad is right...haha!

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but we have a Avian Vet Resource thread. Perhaps you could find a vet close to you who actually sees birds? We have to drive an hour away, but it's so worth it when you can find a good vet:)

All the names you're thinking of are awesome, and I especially love Tobias/Toby! Tobias can be reserved for if he's naughty:) We call my Pionus Talli until he gets into something and then it's "Metallica, you stop that!" :ROFLMAO:
I’ll definitely check out that thread! Even if the closest ‘good’ bird vet is an hour or more away, it’s good to know where they are and it’s worth it to make sure he’s getting the best care possible. If he’s acting sick then I don’t care if it’s a long drive, part of having an ‘uncommon’ pet is being prepared to do those kinds of things lol.

I like Toby also for the same reason, it makes me laugh because Tobias is such a serious/dignified sounding name and Toby is so playful sounding so I like the idea of being able to adapt it as the situation demands. Also Talli (Metallica) is such an awesome name holy crap. My old cockatiel Ozzy was named after Ozzy Osbourne 🤣

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I’ll definitely check out that thread! Even if the closest ‘good’ bird vet is an hour or more away, it’s good to know where they are and it’s worth it to make sure he’s getting the best care possible. If he’s acting sick then I don’t care if it’s a long drive, part of having an ‘uncommon’ pet is being prepared to do those kinds of things lol.

I like Toby also for the same reason, it makes me laugh because Tobias is such a serious/dignified sounding name and Toby is so playful sounding so I like the idea of being able to adapt it as the situation demands. Also Talli (Metallica) is such an awesome name holy crap. My old cockatiel Ozzy was named after Ozzy Osbourne 🤣
I hope that you can find a good vet, it's so hard trying to find one when they actually need one. My old vet retired and I really miss her, although the new guy is good.

Great minds think alike with names, it appears! My husband loves Metallica and named him, I love it too!
Ozzy is a great name for a cockatiel, totally unexpected!

Most Reactions