bird vomit?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I had a quick question about birds and vomit.

So, it is soon time for the summers in Canada. For the past couple of days, it has been a very hot weather over here. Yesterday, I saw that my cockatiel Kiko was acting strange. He got quite and was acting hyper. Then I gave him water and he drank so much his whole face became wet. After a little bit he started to move his head like a chicken and then he spit out or threw up some of the water (it was just water) then he continued to Bob his head and then after a bit I took him out of his cage. When he was in the cage, he kept going to his water bowl and drinking a lot of it. He doesnā€™t drink this much everyday. After a little bit when he was outside the cage, he vomited out some green liquid. Iā€™m very confused and scared atm bc he has never done this. I donā€™t think heā€™s choking on anything though. He looks quite and is tilting his head and looking sleepy.

Is this bc he is dehydrated or overheated? I light spray him with water everyday and I make sure he has clean water with him at all times. Also, itā€™s not that hot in our house for him to be overheated so Iā€™m confused. OR could this be because of his change in diet? He has started to take a rlly big interest in veggies recently and he eats a lot of leafy greens and brocolli every day.

The vomit was also a very small amount and was liquidy, but kind of thick?? and green with no chunks I think. (Sorry I didnā€™t see him throw up, my dad did.) IS THIS NORMAL? Heā€™s now acting normal again but wonā€™t make any sound. My brother is cuddling with him and heā€™s resting on his chin. Iā€™m gonna keep an eye on him obviously but I just needed some info on vomiting with birds.

Thanks to anyone who replies :) ā¤ļø

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I had a quick question about birds and vomit.

So, it is soon time for the summers in Canada. For the past couple of days, it has been a very hot weather over here. Yesterday, I saw that my cockatiel Kiko was acting strange. He got quite and was acting hyper. Then I gave him water and he drank so much his whole face became wet. After a little bit he started to move his head like a chicken and then he spit out some of the water (it was just water) then he continued to Bob his head and then after a bit I took him out of his cage. When he was in the cage, he kept going to his water bowl and drinking a lot of it. He doesnā€™t drink this much everyday. After a little bit when he was outside the cage, he vomited out some green liquid. Iā€™m very confused and scared atm bc he has never done this. I donā€™t think heā€™s choking on anything though. He looks quite and is tilting his head and looking sleepy.

Is this bc he is dehydrated or overheated? I light spray him with water everyday and I make sure he has clean water with him at all times. Also, itā€™s not that hot in our house for him to be overheated so Iā€™m confused. OR could this be because of his change in diet? He has started to take a rlly big interest in veggies recently and he eats a lot of leafy greens and brocolli every day.

The vomit was also a very small amount and was liquidy and green with no chunks. IS THIS NORMAL? Heā€™s now acting normal again but wonā€™t make any sound. My brother is cuddling with him and heā€™s resting on his chin. Iā€™m gonna keep an eye on him obviously but I just needed some info on vomiting with birds.

Thanks to anyone who replies :) ā¤ļø
Could this be regurgitation? (Idk bc there was no food or chunks in his vomit it was just thick liquidy and had a green colour but wasnā€™t like a rlly dark green.)

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi,
I wonder if Kiko is too hot?

I didnā€™t realize how hot it had gotten in my apartment. In the last week and a half itā€™s gone from near freezing to 85+F temperatures in the upper Midwest US. I have been feeling sick and just turned the AC on now in hopes that my apartment will cool down some and Iā€™ll feel better.

I have watched my birds get very ā€˜depressedā€™ when itā€™s too hot in the summer. AC is newish for me and many people here as we didnā€™t need it 15 yrs ago at this time of year.

If Kiko was too hot he might have drank too much water and then regurgitated it. I would watch him and make sure heā€™s feeling better or take him to the vet. Heat stress can make birds and people sick. Do you have air conditioning or another way to keep him cool? Misting him will help him to cool down in the short term. I would not have left my birds at 82F+ if Iā€™d known it was that hot (maxed out the temperature strip in my apartment).

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi,
I wonder if Kiko is too hot?

I didnā€™t realize how hot it had gotten in my apartment. In the last week and a half itā€™s gone from near freezing to 85+F temperatures in the upper Midwest US. I have been feeling sick and just turned the AC on now in hopes that my apartment will cool down some and Iā€™ll feel better.

I have watched my birds get very ā€˜depressedā€™ when itā€™s too hot in the summer. AC is newish for me and many people here as we didnā€™t need it 15 yrs ago at this time of year.

If Kiko was too hot he might have drank too much water and then regurgitated it. I would watch him and make sure heā€™s feeling better or take him to the vet. Heat stress can make birds and people sick. Do you have air conditioning or another way to keep him cool? Misting him will help him to cool down in the short term. I would not have left my birds at 82F+ if Iā€™d known it was that hot (maxed out the temperature strip in my apartment).
I mist him every single day, then i properly spray him and make him super wet like every 2 days maybe? I havenā€™t turned on the AC yet bc if I turn it on our whole house will get cooled bc of the vents and I thought that itā€™s dangerous for Kiko? His cage is near a vent but we keep it closed bc the person we got him from told us to not put him near the AC or air vent, or keep it closed. Do u think the vomiting is normal though? Heā€™s not doing the head bop or vomit anymore and looks a lot better.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The head bob sounds like a regurgitation thing but itā€™s interesting that Kikoā€™s done this just now when itā€™s gotten so hot. (I think we here have the same weather system). Also heā€™s been eating lots of (most) vegetables and drinking a lot of water, as if heā€™s thirsty. I am more worried about your description of him being quiet and sleepy than regurgitating, to be honest. Kiko must be quiet because if he were more active heā€™d get hotter.

If you canā€™t turn the house AC in then can you open the windows to get some air moving in Kikoā€™s room and have a fan running? And mist him a few times a day? Because it sounds like heā€™s too hot. (My birds were quiet yesterday and today, too. And I just noticed itā€™s really hot in my place. So AC is on now.)

I wouldnā€™t put my bird right next to the AC vent, but my birds are in the same room as the AC unit. I watched my birds get really sick during the first bad summer ten years ago (before I had AC) and I can tell you for sure that being too hot will make your birds sick. If Kiko was out in the wild he would be able to manage his temperature by staying out of the sun, getting wet, etc. and Iā€™m guessing you are in a humid area like me which I think is different from an arid Australian grassland where cockatiels might live.

Donā€™t REFRIGERATE your bird, but you probably do need AC in Kikoā€™s room if your home gets as warm as mine does.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
The head bob sounds like a regurgitation thing but itā€™s interesting that Kikoā€™s done this just now when itā€™s gotten so hot. (I think we here have the same weather system). Also heā€™s been eating lots of (most) vegetables and drinking a lot of water, as if heā€™s thirsty. I am more worried about your description of him being quiet and sleepy than regurgitating, to be honest. Kiko must be quiet because if he were more active heā€™d get hotter.

If you canā€™t turn the house AC in then can you open the windows to get some air moving in Kikoā€™s room and have a fan running? And mist him a few times a day? Because it sounds like heā€™s too hot. (My birds were quiet yesterday and today, too. And I just noticed itā€™s really hot in my place. So AC is on now.)

I wouldnā€™t put my bird right next to the AC vent, but my birds are in the same room as the AC unit. I watched my birds get really sick during the first bad summer ten years ago (before I had AC) and I can tell you for sure that being too hot will make your birds sick. If Kiko was out in the wild he would be able to manage his temperature by staying out of the sun, getting wet, etc. and Iā€™m guessing you are in a humid area like me which I think is different from an arid Australian grassland where cockatiels might live.

Donā€™t REFRIGERATE your bird, but you probably do need AC in Kikoā€™s room if your home gets as warm as mine does.
I can turn on the AC or give him some cooling with a fan :) I was just afraid that itā€™s dangerous. (I will turn on a fan and sit with him in a room but I will make sure the fan isnā€™t facing him, and when we turn on the AC, we will make sure that the vent near his cage is closed.) Should i sit with him in the basement? Itā€™s not freezing cold but itā€™s never hot there. And I will lightly mist him like 2-3 times a day bc Ik that its gonna get rlly hot soon for sure. I never expected Kiko to feel hot bc I heard that cockatiels can handle a lot of heat.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Itā€™s been a long time since I had a cockatiel but I expect they can get too hot, maybe especially if it gets hot quickly.

Iā€™m feeling better now that the AC has been on for several hours. And the birds are making noise this evening! Yesterday they were suspiciously quiet.

Yes, a cool basement is an option for housing Kiko until you get the AC on. Please turn the lights on for him during the day. I am not so worried about Kiko getting a draft as about him getting hit by a fan blade. God, I hope it doesnā€™t get really hot quickly. It went from cold practically winter to summer RIGHT NOW and I could use some early summer weather.

Last edited:
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Itā€™s been a long time since I had a cockatiel but I expect they can get too hot, maybe especially if it gets hot quickly.

Iā€™m feeling better now that the AC has been on for several hours. And the birds are making noise this morning! Yesterday they were suspiciously quiet.

Yes, a cool basement is an option. Please turn the lights on for him during the day. I am not so worried about Kiko getting a draft as about him getting hit by a fan blade. God, I hope it doesnā€™t get really hot quickly. It went from cold practically winter to summer RIGHT NOW and I could use some early summer weather.
Yes your right, it suddenly got RLLY hot. too much for me to handle, I wonder how Kiko will handle this summers! I think the best thing rn is regular baths and mists, cooling, (AC or fan) and hydrating food and water.

I was gonna start introducing new fruits to Kiko this summers. He loves his leafy greens but doesnā€™t rlly like any fruits or berries i have given him so far. I was thinking about adding some berries in his water sometimes to see how he reacts, or cutting them up very small.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My birds have always found nubbly berries (like raspberries and blackberries) quite interesting. And in general have liked strawberries and blueberries once they figure out what they are.

Why put them in the water? It will make the water spoil faster. I would give them in another cup or maybe with some pellets or seed.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My birds have always found nubbly berries (like raspberries and blackberries) quite interesting. And in general have liked strawberries and blueberries once they figure out what they are.

Why put them in the water? It will make the water spoil faster. I would give them in another cup or maybe with some pellets or seed.
Update on Kiko: he looks a lot better. It was incredibly hot last night and I was sweating up so I opened a window near his cage halfway. I had a quick question: I wanna give him bird BATHS, Not just spraying with a bottle. Can I clean the kitchen sink, turn on the tap and put him in? Or should I get a shallow container with a bit of water and put him in? I tried doing the container method once and he got so scared. I didnā€™t put him inside it, I just put him near it and he was so terrified he ran away.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Can you put a bowl of water (like an inch of water in a pie plate) on bottom of his cage and let him explore on his own?

I canā€™t do that yet with Willow. He thinks the bowl of water is really scary. I take Willow in the shower for a bit and then let him sit on the shower curtain rod while I finish.

Lots of people do let their bird bathe in the kitchen sink with a bit of water in the bottom and maybe the faucet dribbling.

Most Reactions

Latest posts