Birds fly

Mulligan

Feb 5, 2023
Media
Parrots
One female Congo African Grey
However you decide to care for and train your bird, remember that all birds will or try to fly. Though you think your bird knows your surrounding and flies around the house, etc, be careful as any loud sound (even a car backfiring) can startle them to safety. Flight feathers can be powerful and they will bolt in any direction.
When the UPS delivered a package, I think he literally dropped it at the door and it slid sideways, my cockatiel who would fly through our dormer windows from second floor to first, heard it and took off directly into the front glass window - breaking her neck. I was devastated. Birds are so beautiful but vulnerable.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
However you decide to care for and train your bird, remember that all birds will or try to fly. Though you think your bird knows your surrounding and flies around the house, etc, be careful as any loud sound (even a car backfiring) can startle them to safety. Flight feathers can be powerful and they will bolt in any direction.
When the UPS delivered a package, I think he literally dropped it at the door and it slid sideways, my cockatiel who would fly through our dormer windows from second floor to first, heard it and took off directly into the front glass window - breaking her neck. I was devastated. Birds are so beautiful but vulnerable.
Im so sorry about your poor cockatiel. 😢This is why I trim my birds' wings enough that they can't get up enough speed to have a fatal accident or fly away. They can still fly but not fast or far enough to hurt themselves.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had my Cockatiels do this (except for killing themself).
The first second or two is just reaching “escape velocity “ without a direction in mind. After that they can be a bit more selective as to destination.

I am sorry for your loss.

Most Reactions

Latest posts